Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

possible wheat intolerance?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Have recently been getting quite winded, and so I was watching what i was eating and found it always got worse after eating anything containing wheat. I don't think it's an allergy, especially as it's only been a recent development. But wheat products make up a large proportion of my diet...

I'm curious to know if there is anyway of perhaps reducing the effects of this, ie maybe reversing the intolerance i seem to be developing? I had a google earlier but all it threw at me were sites about how people were misdiagnosing themselves with an allergy when in reality it was IBS etc, and wasn't really what I was after. Are there any supplements/vits & minerals that i should be taking to help this?

and also if it is a wheat intolerance, why am i suddenly developing this now when I've eaten wheat daily for my whole life? It could be stress related as this year being back in proper uni has taken its toll on me a little bit...but any POV would be appreciated.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Try cutting down on wheat, I seem to take it a lot better now than I did a few years back, no real idea what started it or why it's less of a problem now.

Jacket Potatoes are an easy substitute, pop em in the microwave.
    aye, my problem is is that i eat a lot of pasta etc. Well at the moment pasta doesn't seem to be affecting me so much as tortillas etc. I'll just have to be careful lol.
    If pasta has less affect than tortillas then it won't be plain and simple wheat intolerance.

Cut down overall, you can do the same with rice and potatoes as you can with pasta in pretty much every dish.

Try wholemeal stuff.
    ahh okay so wholemeal may be better? cool i'll have a try of that. thank you :)
    It's not as refined and processed which is what upsets some people.