Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Website Problems

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anybody know why when i go on some websites, pictures dont appear. :confused:

I went onto the BBC website and all the pictures wouldn't show. It was working fine and Im not sure what I have done?

Even on thesite.org the pictures arent displayed. I have attached a pic of what bbc.co.uk looks like for me at the minute.

Anybody know whats wrong??

Cheers

Cal
:thumb:

Comments

• Options
    does it work in firefox?

most likely IE's "safety" features filtering it, check all your settings and stuff. works fine for me, although I am using FF. :)
  • Options
    I would say your internet is cutting out and leaving you with only part of the website

Erm do you have that "purishing" filter on? If so turn it off - Its crap and gets annoying

And if that all dont work, remove all your cookies and things
  • Options
    I dont have Firefox, so I haven't tried it.

I have turned off the phising filter and removed all cookies and things, but its still the same.

I cant even use ebay cos I cant see all the buttons, this computer is so fucking annoying :banghead:

I dont know whats wrong with it, it was working fine on Thursday evening, and Friday morning woke up and it was fucked!

Cheers guys

Cal

• Options
    Might have a problem with your ISP's caching proxies, if they use them. If you're with NTL, then the problem will probably resolve itself in a day or two :).

Try Firefox. If the problem is the same, then the chances are that it's a problem with your ISP. If the images load, then I'll tell you that Internet Explorer is pants. :)
  • Options
    I have just removed Internet Explorer 7 thinking that may sort it out. :banghead:

However it didnt. I will try downloading Firefox. I thinking it could be a problem with my ISP (BT) as they have been shit latley with regards connection.

Cheers peeps!

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Calvin wrote:
    I have just removed Internet Explorer 7 thinking that may sort it out. :banghead:

However it didnt. I will try downloading Firefox. I thinking it could be a problem with my ISP (BT) as they have been shit latley with regards connection.

Cheers peeps!

I get similar sometimes in both IE and Opera. But then, I expect it as I know my connection is fairly shit sometimes. It just looks like the same thing.

Also, make sure you have the option ticked that shows all images. I don't know where it is hidden but it is something that the boy has suggested.
  • Options
  • Options
    I have downloaded FireFox and the same problem occurs. I guess this means it wasnt a problem with IE7.

Not sure whats wrong with it now :confused:

Cheers guys

• Options
    Its your connection then

Does this happen on any other users?
  • Options
    Im thinking it must be my connection; I have called BT but they werent much help.

I cant wait till i can get a new laptop, Im going to take great pleasure throwing this off a very large building :)

• Options
    Calvin wrote:
    Im thinking it must be my connection; I have called BT but they werent much help./QUOTE]

Aye, most likely culprit. :)
  • Options
    Just tried my other laptop, and all websites work fine on that one!

Im no detective but i think my laptop is fucked!

:)

And i tried system restore but that hasnt worked either!
  • Options
    Well when your throwing it off that very large building , take into consideration that there will be people walking by at the bottom lol.

As a last resort you could format >.<
  • Options
    Matteh wrote:
    As a last resort you could format >.<

It didnt come across my mind... But yeah you could do that
  • Options
    What does format >.< mean ??

Cheers

• Options
    Calvin wrote:
    What does format >.< mean ??

:lol:

Means to remove EVERYTHING off your Hard Drive, and put Windows XP back on and the files you backed up you put them back on and hey presto!

Its as good as new:thumb:
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote:
    :lol:

Means to remove EVERYTHING off your Hard Drive, and put Windows XP back on and the files you backed up you put them back on and hey presto!

Its as good as new:thumb:

I don't know too much about computers but isn't formatting the computer a bit extreme?

Are you sure you haven't mucked about with various settings, like allowing placeholders for images or something? Formatting, especially a laptop, just seems too extreme. Particularly if you don't know what you are doing.
  • Options
    Hmm Depends on the problem really
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote:
    Hmm Depends on the problem really

Then surely it is better to find out what the problem is, rather than format? I bet the OP has fiddled with various settings and that's what is causing this, rather than there be a problem. I'd also check the connection at the laptop end. I know he has checked it with a different computer but surely their could be a receiver issue?

I am just concerned because when the OP was told that IE was 'shit' he responded by trying to uninstall. If you tell him / her to format then they will just go in blindly and not have a clue what they are doing, lose lots of stuff and then be stuck.

D'ya see what I mean?
  • Options
    True, but there are many people on here who can explain in alot of detail how to format and im sure there are Ebooks
  • Options
    Before taking the rather drastic and over the top response of formatting your computer, I'd try deleting all the files in the "temporary internet files" folder from IE.

Really it looks like it's just not loading the page properly It happens from time to time. try doing a shift+ctrl+reload. Otherwise you may have somehow altered a setting that stops style sheets from showing up, but I'm not sure what setting that could be exactly.

Try going into the tools - internet options - security and click "restore all zones to default level" to see if that changes anything.

Strange it happens in firefox too though, that suggests a connection issue, but your other laptop suggests not.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    Before taking the rather drastic and over the top response of formatting your computer, I'd try deleting all the files in the "temporary internet files" folder from IE.

I believe hes tryed that Mist
  • Options
    Here's your answer

Internet Explorer -> Internet Options -> Advanced tab -> 'Restore Defaults' or underneath Multimedia make sure 'show pictures' is checked.

And I would also have a good spyware scan etc while your at it.. and if anyone else uses your PC make sure they don't play around with the settings!
  • Options
    Cheers guys!

Im pleased to report last night the computer fairies paid me a visit. Havent a clue what they did but its working! :D

I turned my pc off last night and disconnected it from the internet, and its working this morning. Just going to put it down to one of those things :banghead:

Cheers for the advice peeps

Cal

Spoke to soon; its fucked again!!!
  • Options
    Okay after it was working did you Download / change any settings?
  • Options
    Nah i didnt change any settings, all i done was turn it off for the night.

Some website work, but with a few pictures missing, thesite.org, has a few images missing etc.

Guess i will just have to live with it, shouldnt be long before i can get a new laptop!

Cheer guys

Cal
  • Options
    Hm, well have you tryed it on any other users?