Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Essay help please

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I was given this question the Thursday before last:

[Essay question for 'Of Mice & Men'] How does Steinbeck make the reader feel sympathy for Lennie throughout the novel? Opening -> intro to text.

How would I start this off? And what exactly does 'opening -> intro to text' mean?
I've started off by reading the book and making as to why I personally feel sorry for Lennie and have tried to use quotations to back up what I'm saying, but I'm just not sure how to write the notes into sentences and structure them so that they flow. (I know what I'm saying, but can't explain it)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aw I loved Of Mice & Men :D

Erm, I'm guessing Intro to text, means introduce the book that you've studied. So write a little about the story, the main characters and what you're going to do in the essay. (Use the title ofc)

Then structure your essay with several different points as to why Steinbeck makes the reader feel sympathy. Remember PEE - point, evidence, evaluate. Write the point your making in that paragraph, back it up with a quotation or two, and then evaluate/analyse how the evidence backs up the point.

Repeat the PEE thing a few times with a few different points and then write a conclusion paragraph. Remember in your conclusion to keep things simple and short, and don't forget to link back to the title. :)

Good luckkk! x
    That's what I thought I ahd to do, but wasn't that sure. Thanks for your help.
    Remember also with essays like that to pick out specific words and say things like "Steinbeck uses words such as "x", "y" and "z", which have connotations of [yadda]".

Who wants to help me with:

A comparison between the presentation of the death of Camille in Therese Raquin and Emma in Madame Bovary.

1500 words. Due tomorrow. Haven't. Got. A. Clue. It's only a first draft but she said she wants it almost perfect :(.
    Sofie wrote:
    How does Steinbeck make the reader feel sympathy for Lennie throughout the novel?

The key word in this title is "throughout". As well as explaning the techniques Steinbeck uses to make the reader feel sympathy, you also need to explain how this sympathy develops during the novel. I haven't read it so I can't help more precisely than that, but you want to show where the reader feels the most sympathy - are you sympathetic right from the beginning, or do you feel negative or neutral towards him to begin with? How does that change during the novel and how (the words Steinbeck chooses, literary techniques, different perspectives on events, twists or events in the plot)? At the end of the novel, what is your impression of Lennie?
    Franki wrote:
    Remember also with essays like that to pick out specific words and say things like "Steinbeck uses words such as "x", "y" and "z", which have connotations of [yadda]".

Who wants to help me with:

A comparison between the presentation of the death of Camille in Therese Raquin and Emma in Madame Bovary.

1500 words. Due tomorrow. Haven't. Got. A. Clue. It's only a first draft but she said she wants it almost perfect :(.
    You REALLY need to stop leaving things so late franki.
    some ppl work better last minute
    That's fine, but that means you're asking for help last minute, and that means you don't get it. It also in my experience results in a poor standard of work.