Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Work emails...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
does anyone know what the crack is with work emails? do data protection laws apply or anything?

we've had a issue this morning where someone (i know who it is) has been on everyones email and printed emails out and left them on peoples desks. some of the emails involve information about other people in the office and therefore has caused a right kick off.

are they technically works property so they can do as they like?

please also note that the person who did it is below the people the emails were about.

luckily they didnt get none of mine! haha

fucking hate the bitch.

Comments

• Options
    I think your work IT dept etc are probably allowed to monitor them, but unless this person was sent the email then it's all confidential, addressee only etc like gets scrawled across the bottom of most emails.

This person may well have broken the rules about IT usage by accessing other peoples email accounts.
  • Options
    yeh thats what i thought, its certainly not a person from the IT dept, she's gonna get some shit coming her way later when i speak to her.
  • Options
    I'd love to be a fly on the wall in your office!
  • Options
    i think you should give us the full story ;)
  • Options
    might as well....basically the woman is a right cow, she'll grass on everyone and everything, when in fact she's a right turd.

her and another lass were having a rather racist conversation yesterday afternoon and one of the lads took offence to it, and sent a polite email round saying it was offensive etc...fair enough.

anyway, a few of us carried the conversation on and having a bit of a laugh and stuff, maybe a bit close to the bone some of it, and she must have known.

waited till everyone went home, printed all the emails off and left them out.

silly cow.

anyway, she's getting in trouble now! haha

and we've all changed our passwords.
  • Options
    surely working there is just going to be unbearable for her after doing that. she's not gona have any friends is she?
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    surely working there is just going to be unbearable for her after doing that. she's not gona have any friends is she?

she's got her own little clique, rest of us just ignore em and take the piss, gets me through the days it does.
  • Options
    Our IT guy reckons that it's illegal for them to read our emails unless we are specifically suspected of being up to no good. I'm sure he reads them though, the sneak.

Your woman sounds like a huge bitch.
  • Options
    she had the bloody cheek to ask earlier as well why she never got invited on works nights out! haha
  • Options
    You should invite her on a work's night out, really, there's no need to be nasty.

Just accidentally forget which pub you said and stand her up:p

Yeah, its against the T&Cs of most companies to access the workstation account of any other person.
  • Options
    A friend of mine worked in the email dept. of a huge, well known charity - he said everything was monitored there.

Another guy I know sent a girl a joke email (who worked for a council I think) and as soon as she forwarded the joke to someone else they fired her.
  • Options
    I think it depends on what is in your contract IT Policy - in a previous job i've worked in our emails were sacred and no one could look at them without permission (I belive unless you state that they aren't in your policy that all emails are considered to be private) - however in other jobs all emails remain the property of the company and can be looked at any time by your line manager.

However i'm pretty sure that what she did could get her the sack.