Home We Need You
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Reading this could save lives...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi everyone :wave: please take a minute to read this post and then if this is something you would like to do, please follow the links.

Transplants are one of the modern miracles in medicine, right? If you develop a problem and need a transplant that is ok because we have the skills today to help, and knowing you are more likely to need a transplant than to become a donor, this is important stuff.

Sadly in the UK there is a chronic shortage of organ donors. Last year over 450 people died whilst waiting for a transplant, 140 of these were children.

To find out more about my story and why this is important to me, take a look at www.idgiveyouone.co.uk

If you want to be an organ donor but have never got round to registering it literally takes a few minutes and can be done online by clicking here: http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/how_to_become_a_donor/registration/consent.jsp

If you have any questions about organ donation there is loads of information on both of the websites given, or you can ask me.

Thanks for reading :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Did you get permission to post this then?
    I would donate some of my organs but I'm still holding out some hope that they will discover a way to reanimate dead flesh and when they do, I don't want to wander around afterwards looking for the guy who has my eyes.
    in austria you are automatically a organ donor except you specifically sign something that you won't.

If I am in desperate need of a pair of kindeys and I am sitting here watching my body slowly poison itself, just because some dead greedy asshole is too good to give them.... then I wouldn't know what to do... die probably.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    StrubbleS wrote:
    i just because some dead greedy asshole is too good to give them.

There's nothing wrong in not wanting to be a doner.
    Weekender Offender 
    I'd be willing to donate, only because i'm willing to receive a transplant!

Of course none of my organs are any good, but it's the thought that counts!
    apart from it being selfish and people who could be saved by something you no longer need will probably die waiting for a transplant.
    apart from it being selfish and people who could be saved by something you no longer need will probably die waiting for a transplant.

Well that's not really the point. Some people see the body as a sacred thing and wouldn't dream of anyone tampering with it after they die.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit

I'd be happy to donate, but I don't think you should be critized if you don't want to - for wahtever reason.

It's something you could do, not should do. Same with giving money to charity.
    Weekender Offender 
    I have no problem with people saying no to being an organ donor, but being an opt out rather than opt in thing would be a good idea.h
    hia again (thanks for moving this by the way whoever did, really sorry I posted it in the wrong place:blush: )

Totally agree that it is a personal decision whether you want to be an organ donor or not, and I have no problem with people who dont want to be organ donors, I am just trying to ensure people have thought about the issue and made their wishes clear.

We have done a slideshow which shows why this is such an important issue for young people, and you can view it (and rate it) at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz33i6prkuQ

There are around 8000 people like me whose lives depend on it. Thanks again for reading this :)
    i am an organ donor but think its totally up to the individual in question whether they would be willing to give up their organs once they die, at the same time i think anyone who doesnt want to be a donor should not be allowed a transplant themselves.
    Aww well worth signing up, I'm done :D
    I signed up a few years ago.

When I'm dead, I won't need them, so someone living may as well have them.