Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Loch Ness

Flake_MustaineFlake_Mustaine Posts: 1,261 Wise Owl
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Anyone been to Loch Ness? Is it hard to get to?
My friend and I are looking to go, and I was wondering if any of you guys have any cool tips, info or recommendations on the place :)

Thanks very much :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    It's really easy to get to Loch Ness. It's on the A87 main road.

It's not far from Inverness if you want a bit of city life (although it isn't very big ...) or for something smaller you have Fort William, which is quite picturesque.

There are loads of different youth hostels dotted around the Loch itself, or you could easily stay in Inverness.

Keep an eye out for the monster ;)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've been. Its a bit shit tbh. Extremely touristy and you can buy pretty much everything imaginable with nessie on it from fudge to tampons.
    Its nothing but a big lake really and there are much nicer lakes to visit in Scotland!
    icey wrote:
    I've been. Its a bit shit tbh. Extremely touristy and you can buy pretty much everything imaginable with nessie on it from fudge to tampons.
    Its nothing but a big lake really and there are much nicer lakes to visit in Scotland!

It's not a lake. Scotland only had one lake. The rest are lochs :p

[/pedant]
    Nessie tampons?! Awesome!
    icey wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:
    when i tour UK on my bike loch ness will be on the list. i'll have travelled over 700miles by then. under half way.
  • Flake_MustaineFlake_Mustaine Posts: 1,261 Wise Owl
    Cool :) Thanks everyone!! :thumb:
    icey wrote:
    you can buy pretty much everything imaginable with nessie on it from fudge to tampons.

Fuck that's made me laugh. Ta :thumb:
    i agree with icey.

there really isnt anything to see. though fort william and the area around there is really nice. right next to ben nevis too.
    I went to Scotland for about a week in July, rather than Loch Ness I went to Glen Affrick, which is a bit further along. Very beautiful but not much to do other than walk around.
    PussyKatty wrote:
    Very beautiful but not much to do other than walk around.

No offence like, but what did you expect?
    No offence like, but what did you expect?

Oh y'know, a massive nightclub, a water park, theme park, greasy spoon, watersports, sun loungers, all the little things that add class to your holiday.

It wasn't a criticism of the place, it was nice in a way, we just found that without a car we were very restricted, there was only one place to eat which was overpriced, and the last minibus back from the Glen itself was at 4pm.

Loch Ness was a lot more built up (we went past it on the bus) and looked very touristy.
    PussyKatty wrote:
    Oh y'know, a massive nightclub, a water park, theme park, greasy spoon, watersports, sun loungers, all the little things that add class to your holiday.

Do I sense some sarcasm here? :p
    It wasn't a criticism of the place, it was nice in a way, we just found that without a car we were very restricted, there was only one place to eat which was overpriced, and the last minibus back from the Glen itself was at 4pm.

Loch Ness was a lot more built up (we went past it on the bus) and looked very touristy.

Loch Ness itself is very pretty and yes, without a car, it can be really restricting. I know that from experience growing up. However, there are many places on the Loch front that are very touristy, naff and tacky. The views themselves make up for that IMO. However, there are also places that aren't as touristy on the banks of Loch Ness. It's a matter of seeking them out. (Also, where you passed was probably Drumnadrochit, which is a small place that has the Loch Ness Exhibition which is tack hell. There are more places on the banks of Loch Ness that aren't as bad.)

But maybe that is because I am biased. I grew up with all that sort of stuff on my doorstep (further west than Loch Ness). I just don't know what else people would expect going up there.
    I love Loch Ness. I can't count the amount of times I've been.

I do always come away feeling a little duped as I STILL haven't seen Nessie and I am a card-carrying loon/believer :grump: :p