Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Tight Foreskin (different question)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I need to see the doctor about this. What will they do? Will they want to take a look? I am aware of my options and would like to exhaust all other possible remedies before considering circumcision - just I'm not sure what they'll ask / want to look at, if anything?

Sorry if it's a silly question.

Mac.

Comments

• SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Yeah they'll probably want to have a look. Don't matter really though. I don't expect it's any more pleasant for the doc than it is for you.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes, they'll want to see it. Have a wash :).
    my ex boyfriend had one of those, they took it off. :p
    my ex boyfriend had one of those, they took it off. :p

Thanks for that, really puts confidence in me.

Thanks guys for letting me know. Kinda figured they'd want to take a look, but just wanted to know what would happen so it's not quite as daunting!

Mac.
    An ex of mine had an operation to help relieve a tight foreskin. They didn't fully circumcise him, just cut off about the top 1cm or so of his foreskin, as this was the bit that was really tight.
    Mac Sami wrote:
    Thanks for that, really puts confidence in me.

Thanks guys for letting me know. Kinda figured they'd want to take a look, but just wanted to know what would happen so it's not quite as daunting!

Mac.

did you want me to lie??

i never said it would happen to you i'm no doctor.
    Mac Sami wrote:
    ...but just wanted to know what would happen so it's not quite as daunting!

I was circumcised back in 2001. Let me know if you want to know anything :).
    Sounds like you have phimosis, my ex had it, does your dick look a lotlike an anteater when soft~? lol
    If you REALLY want to avoid the snip, you can buy little plastic devices on the internet that will gently stretch it so the problem disappears. He used one, it took about three weeks to do the trick, and he said it did'nt hurt at all. If you want I can look one up for you?
    Mac Sami wrote:
    I need to see the doctor about this. What will they do? Will they want to take a look? I am aware of my options and would like to exhaust all other possible remedies before considering circumcision - just I'm not sure what they'll ask / want to look at, if anything?

Sorry if it's a silly question.

Mac.

Can you pull it back when you are in the bath and your penis is not erect? If you can't, you may have a condition called phimosis.

In the most drastic circumstances, a partial or full ircumcision may be required but you can try some stretching techniques before you even contemplate going down this route.

Use baby oil, Vaseline intensive care hand and body lotion, Nivea or any bland cream as a lubricant. Pull the foreskin forward away from the body several times then pull it back and hold it in the stretched position for several minutes twice daily. When the hole is large enough insert your thumb , or smaller finger if necessary, into the foreskin and grip the glans ( the head of the penis) between finger and thumb. Roll the foreskin over the thumb until the tight ring is white with stretching. Hold it in this position as long as you can at a time - say 5 minutes. . Repeat as often as you have the time and enthusiasm for. If later you find there is room for two or more fingers then use them.
    If time permits even better results may be possible if you soak your penis in warm water for some minutes before you start to stretch.

Steroid creams should be used next if no significant progress has been made after a month. It is a prescription only medicine which means you will have to ask your doctor for a prescription. The cream should be massaged into the tight part of the foreskin inside and outside 2-3 times a day for at least a month combined with further stretching.

Take care to avoid premature retraction beyond the corona of the glans to avoid paraphimosis (where the foreskin gets stuck behind the glans of your penis.

Ideally, you want to reach a stage where the head of your penis is exposed when your penis is erect and the foreskin is able to glide back and forth over the top of the glans during masturbation, intercourse etc.
    Thanks for the replies - I know most of the info given here, after doing some reading a short while back about it. I've got my opinion on the problem, and will want to exhaust all other remedies before circumcision. Just wanted to know what the doctor would want to see (if anything), so thanks for the answers.
    Mac Sami wrote:
    Thanks for the replies - I know most of the info given here, after doing some reading a short while back about it. I've got my opinion on the problem, and will want to exhaust all other remedies before circumcision. Just wanted to know what the doctor would want to see (if anything), so thanks for the answers.

I should say taking a guess he would want to see your penis :p

Wouldn't worry about it tbh its nothing he hasn't seen before and its not like you have a nasty discharge which would be much more embarassing then showing a normal healthy penis !
    did you want me to lie??

i never said it would happen to you i'm no doctor.

No, but doing :p at the end of what you said wasn't called for - it's not funny (perhaps to you and your ex it was, sorry if I don't get your little perverted mind there).
    squeal wrote:
    I should say taking a guess he would want to see your penis :p

Wouldn't worry about it tbh its nothing he hasn't seen before and its not like you have a nasty discharge which would be much more embarassing then showing a normal healthy penis !

Yeah I didn't know whether he'd just want me to describe the problem and then start me off with the steroid cream, or whether he'd want to take a look and then decide the course of action from there. Last time I went to the doctors was years ago.

It doesn't cause any hygeine issues, just means sex is a no go which is annoying, which is why I want to get it sorted out now.
    Mac Sami wrote:
    No, but doing :p at the end of what you said wasn't called for - it's not funny (perhaps to you and your ex it was, sorry if I don't get your little perverted mind there).

Lighten up mate, its nothing to be worried about or ashamed off its a common problem along men.

Nothing is wrong with a little joke here and there to lighten the mood. No harm done ey.
    Mac Sami wrote:

did i say you might have to get circumsized? no.

did i therefore laugh at your situation? no.
    i got this problem, and i'd rather not have sex than get put down by negligent or criminal doctors.

i had the GP take a look and she told me what the condition was, but it was nothing new over that what i'd read myself on the internet 7/8 yrs ago. she refered me to a surgeon and i missed the apntmnt.

i'll just avoid the whole sex issue if it ever arrises. not for me.
    Mac Sami wrote:

Nobody is laughing at you Mac. You've made a fair few posts here so you must know there's a fair ammount good natured humour on the boards, in nearly every forum. Take it in the spirit it was meant. By the way, i hope you get your problem sorted out soon :)
    i got this problem, and i'd rather not have sex than get put down by negligent or criminal doctors.

i had the GP take a look and she told me what the condition was, but it was nothing new over that what i'd read myself on the internet 7/8 yrs ago. she refered me to a surgeon and i missed the apntmnt.

So you'd rather miss having sex for your whole life than go through what is a really standard operation which surgeons do every bloody day of the week.

Dont flatter yourself that they will find something strange or funny about your bits, they've seen hundreds of the things.
    budda wrote:
    they've seen hundreds of the things.

Me too, and not in a medical capacity :D
    As I said earlier, if you have phimosis you can buy a little plastic jobbie on the internet which will gently stretch it. I would strongly advise seeing the doctor, obviously, but it is worth mentioning this to him, he will know what you are on about.. he might even acquire one for you for nothing ;)

:no:
    Just get it over and done with. I put it off for about as long as you and now i have a crusty white penis with a small hole where an infection has eaten away at it, i can however have sex now its not painful and i can go forever as i cant feel a thing :grump:. Oh and i can piss over a small house.

I was lucky however that it hadnt spread down my urethra as this can lead you to needing an operation where they cut open your penis cut away your urethra and graft some skin from your mouth in there, not to mention the kidney damage. As it is i have to stick a golf tee down it.
    Look up BXO its common in cases of phimosis.

Anyway hope i might have just scared you into doing something about it, and that you dont need to stick a golf tee in your penis too.
    thanks i've just dealt with a private message on this issue. sorry the way things are bigwobblybob, that sounds pretty bad.

tell me more, how did BXO develop from phimosis?
    I really dont know which came first the phimosis or the BXO.

BXO can cause phimosis however, but it doesnt seem anyone really knows what causes BXO. If you have it you will have dry white itchy patches.
    In different studies its been shown to be present in 10 - 80% of cases of phimosis.

Anyway dont want to scare you to much, im sure yours will turn out better than mine did. Its really not that bad an operation, wasnt really painful at all just a little sore when it rubs on clothing for a week or 2. Its clearly playing on your mind and knocking your confidence i know it did mine, im sure you will be much happier having got it sorted out.
    Another stupid question, because I just moved I had to register with the new local doctor. I've got one of those assessment things, where they take your blood pressure etc - do I have to wait until that's done before booking an appt or can I book one now? I should have really asked when I was there, but was in a bit of a rush and not really with it this morning :(
    If you call your GP reception they'll be able to tell you. I'd have thought if you need an appointment and have filled in all the forms you should be able to make an appointment.

some links you might find helpful:

Foreskin problems

Men and GPs

Good luck getting everything sorted.
    Mac Sami wrote:
    Another stupid question, because I just moved I had to register with the new local doctor. I've got one of those assessment things, where they take your blood pressure etc - do I have to wait until that's done before booking an appt or can I book one now? I should have really asked when I was there, but was in a bit of a rush and not really with it this morning :(

I just registered with a new doc. They also have health assesments. I asked about appontments and was told that thy would like to do the general health assesment first but as long as it's within six months they're quite happy with that and that I could make a 'normal' appointment the next day - as soon as my details were on the system. Phone them early in the morning for a same day appointment, tell them you're new and would like a 'normal' appointment that day and that you will arrange your physical when you're in, for a time that suits you both... should be fine.
    Right, a bit of an update.

Went to see the doctor, explained the problem, he took a look and then said the only answer was circumcision. I explained that I'd started some stretching techniques after reading up about it on the internet, which have actually helped, and that there was also this cream that I thought could be used to help a bit. He said that the cream was only if there was an infection, which there wasn't, and that it wouldn't make any difference.

Now, I'm not one to jump to conclusions, but I've done quite a bit of reading, and I think he's plain wrong, and I pretty much said as such. He said he would be happy to prescribe the cream in a couple of weeks should I feel it would help, but again he stressed that it would not help my foreskin.

Has anyone else been told the same or something similar?
    Mac Sami, have a look at this site :- http://www.norm-uk.org/

In particular, if you write to Dr Peter Ball , he can give you personal advice :- http://www.norm-uk.org/norm_uk_contact.html

I agree with you that what your doctor said about cortisone creams is wrong. By all accounts I have read, they do work ...

Good luck! :thumb:
    Thanks, have got in touch with Peter, he's been very helpful.
    Mac Sami wrote:
    Thanks, have got in touch with Peter, he's been very helpful.

May I ask what he advised?