Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Marks And Spencer

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi i got the job for Customer Assistant working in the foods department and i start training on monday . Can anyone tell me what you do in the food department and what you do on your training and do you get payed for your training ??

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Most places pay you for training so I assume M&S would.
    Stack shelves, yes you get paid, training you do the job pretty much with someone telling you 'we're supposed to do this, but that takes too much time, so just stack them in the corner' and then the boss comes round the corner and takes it out on you 'you're new here so you probably dont know but you're supposed to do it like this...'.

Hate working in retail :)
    My mate worked on the Food department in M&S for about 4 years, part time while she was a student, and she loved it. Good money and pretty easy work in general. You will be filling the shelves and helping customers with any questions... and you'll probably get till-trained after a while so you can use the tills too. Pretty straight-forward. At the start you'll have health and safety training along with any other specific training M&S give.

I used to work at Debehams and I loved it. I think retail work can be quite rewarding.
    yup you will get paid for training i used to work at good old m&S (in ladies formal wear:D)it was great i loved it. well you will be on tills stacking shelves etc..and helping the grumpy customers :rolleyes:
    good luck!:thumb:
    Ive got a job in t food department of m&s aswell! temporary over xmas!
    but they never told me what the hourly rate was.....and me being stupid forgot to ask!
    does anyone know?? im only 17! so will b on less!
    and is it monthly or weekly pay??
    i know i should have asked at the interview.
    alan_7 wrote:
    but they never told me what the hourly rate was.....and me being stupid forgot to ask!

Pick up phone, call store

You: Hello, may I speak with [insert name of interviewer]
    You: Yes, my name is [insert name] I had just a couple more questions for you before I start. First off, I forgot to ask what my compensation is. Also, how often do we get paid? Is it weekly, bimontly, etc?
    Them: [Insert answers]
    You: Thank you very much, you have a good day, see you [insert first day of work]
    Them: You also, take care.
    god there is no need to be cheeky and smart! im not phoning becaus ethe woman i spoke to is on hol comes back on fri b4 i start on the mon!
    im not thick you know! so wots the point on coming on here just to dis people! i was asking for someone who knew to help me! not sum cheeky little so n so take an opportunity to be smart!
    alan_7 wrote:
    god there is no need to be cheeky and smart! im not phoning becaus ethe woman i spoke to is on hol comes back on fri b4 i start on the mon!
    im not thick you know! so wots the point on coming on here just to dis people! i was asking for someone who knew to help me! not sum cheeky little so n so take an opportunity to be smart!

I wasn't being "cheeky" or "smart." I was being helpful. Trying to give you advice, no need to spaz. Take a pill :rolleyes:
    alan_7 wrote:
    It was afew years ago that I was a christmas temp at m&s so things may have changed, but I was 17 and got £4.21 an hour and we got paid weekly. Permanent staff get paid monthly though.

Just thought I'd say I hated that job. They didn't bother til training me so all I did was stack shelves constantly, mostly in fridges aswell which was freeezing. And the top managers were just HORRIBLE. Ask them anything about what to do and they'd talk to me like I was an idiot.

Not to worry you, that was just that store.