Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

i hate alcohol

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    sleep and plenty of water and coffee. but mainly sleep and a couple of nurofen.
  • Options
    I learned at the Guinness mueseum that coffee=bad and eggs=good for hangovers.

Coffee contains caffeine, which is a stimulant and therefore helps fight fatigue. But when the caffeine wears off, a drinker may be even more tired than before. It can help alleviate a pounding head because caffeine is a vasoconstrictor, meaning it reduces the size of blood vessels. This counteracts the effect of the alcohol, which makes them swell, making the head hurt in the first place. Unfortunately, caffeine is also a diuretic like alcohol and can make a drinker even more dehydrated than before, thereby increasing the severity of the hangover. Overall, coffee is not a good hangover cure.

I also find comfort in gatoraid and mcdonalds french fries.
  • Options
    Drink water before going to bed.

I find a bacon butty always goes down well on a hangover. Don't get hangovers much myself, bit tired and disoriontated just.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I learned at the Guinness mueseum
    omg guiness have a museum? !!!!!!!!!!!

so, anyway, i figured today, lots of water, chips and lucozade actually worked quite well. - which i'll have to remember in the future.
    still feel really rough.
  • Options
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Nothing works quite as well as hair of the dog....but you've got to be able to stomach it and keep it down, which I never could :razz:
    what is hair of the dog?
  • Options
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Another alcoholic drink, preferably the same thing you got pissed on the night before.

If you can manage it, you feel right as rain. Sadly, it makes me want to hurl :o
    The first pint in the morning is always gross, but it picks up after that!
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Hair of the dog works because you are topping up your levels again, but it is quite a harsh thing to do to your body and only prolongs your hangover over a greater length of time.
  • Options
    White wine gives me the biggest hangover in the world yet I could easily sink shed loads of Cava (which I do wuite often on a schoole night)and still be bright and breezy for work etc.
    Last night, me and my friend got through 4 bottles and I feel super.
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    Hair of the dog works because you are topping up your levels again, but it is quite a harsh thing to do to your body and only prolongs your hangover over a greater length of time.

Not if you constantly stay drunk! ;)

Fuck it I'm getting pissed tonight! Yip ya! :yippe:
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    what is hair of the dog?

hair of the dog, from the bitch that bit you ;)
  • Options
    i never get hangovers i just wake up in the night dying for water, get some and i'm alright:)
    yay!
    apprently if you drink water through the night you won't get a hangover but who really rembers to drink water while they're drunk?!
    i hate how alcohol always makes me really depressed by the end of the evening...
  • Options
    hangovers suck. I get em baaaad. Water, codeine and sleep are my remedies.
  • Options
    Loads of fluids and bacon sarnies go down very well. Nookie is good fun as well but when you both tired and have headaches its not always possible.
  • Options
    i feel like absolute shit. think im having my first come down. i usually feel great the next day... not now :(
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    i feel like absolute shit. think im having my first come down. i usually feel great the next day... not now :(

Haha! It's all down hill from here ;)
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Haha! It's all down hill from here ;)
    i know :crying:

it was worth it though, i had a fantastic night :D
  • Options
    playdead wrote:
    apprently if you drink water through the night you won't get a hangover but who really rembers to drink water while they're drunk?!
    I do. I drink more water when I go out than alcohol generally, at least once the night wears on a bit. And then I drink more before bed. Often have some food too.

And I STILL get very nasty hangovers.

I think there's something wrong with me.
  • Options
    Anyone ever had hangovers so bad you can't keep down water? It's horrible cuz you're so desperately thirsty but you drink anything and are throwing it back up in a couple of minutes.

And never, never eat anything with cheese on a hangover. No no no.

And if you feel sick, do NOT drink milk. Throw it up and out comes cream. Even worse when like me you don't like milk and hate cream.
  • Options
    Anyone ever had hangovers so bad you can't keep down water? It's horrible cuz you're so desperately thirsty but you drink anything and are throwing it back up in a couple of minutes.

I get that but it's only when I drink the water too fast. Maybe that's the problem you're having.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I do. I drink more water when I go out than alcohol generally, at least once the night wears on a bit. And then I drink more before bed. Often have some food too.

I don't think there is anything wrong with you, I think perhaps your body is telling you you are drinking too much...
  • Options

What sort of alcohol are you drinking, things like red wine are going to be nasty regardless of what you do.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    I get that but it's only when I drink the water too fast. Maybe that's the problem you're having.
    Lol it definately isn't. I'm talking about drinking tiny sips and it still happens.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    What sort of alcohol are you drinking, things like red wine are going to be nasty regardless of what you do.
    I never drink red wine. But I do often drink white and rose and wine generally is one of the worst culprits for hangovers. But I'll still get horrible hangovers when I've just drank vodka all night, and that's suppost to be one of the best things for not giving you a hangover.

And LadyJade, I do drink alot, but less than my friends do when we go out, and i'll always have the worst hangover :(
  • Options
    http://www.drinkaware.co.uk/howmany.php

scary...

Last night I had 15.9 apparently :(

It has good hangover cures on there too
  • Options
    I've had 13 before adding a half bottle of buckfast and that's a quiet enough night for myself! Ah fuck it who cares!
  • Options
    http://www.drinkaware.co.uk/howmany.php

scary...

Last night I had 15.9 apparently :(

It has good hangover cures on there too
    According to that, I had 26.7 units Tuesday night :crazyeyes

Hahahahaha. Oops.
  • Options
    I drank too much... I was out with friends and just had what they were having! It seemed sensible enough... sigh. Next time a bit of moderation is in order I feel. I'm still a bit disorientated. I enjoyed myself, but felt like a prat because I knew I'd had too much to drink. :(
  • Options
    Gawd, don't put yourself down so much. Everyone gets pissed every now and again.

I was absolutely shit faced Tuesday night but so was everyone else I was with.

I felt like shit all of yesterday but hey, it was worth it :D