Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Boiler

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
We had the boiler serviced about 10 days ago and ever since it keeps cutting out, just turns itself off, so have to relight the pilot light. Yesterday at 2pm the pilot light is now buggered and won't stay on at all so no hot water or heating. To my mind this is a priority repair. Phoned leasing agent y'day and they did fuck all, didnt contact landlord or send out the guy that serviced boiler. Left them a message on phone y'day, didn't call by 9.30 so bf called them 'Our repairs man is off today so i don't know what we can do, can't you boil kettles ?' Twat

So, would we be within our rights to get the boiler serviced and send the bill to the leasing agents ?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If it's been 24hrs since you notified them then technically. But I'd ring them and say, unless you act by x time we'll get someone in and send you the bill thanks.
    I don't know about that for defo - but you are entitled to a 24 hour response, for not heating/hot water from 1st November every year.
    Is that some kind of legal thing Vick ?
    Yes it i, you have to have someone repsond, I just checked with Gas services where I work
    Ta muchly :)

BTW, by 'respond' do you mean someone comes out and does the repair, or someone say just phones up
    Someone rings and says there is someone definately coming. I think
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Ta muchly :)

BTW, by 'respond' do you mean someone comes out and does the repair, or someone say just phones up
    you have to have someone attend within 24 hours - though it doesn't mean it willbe fixed, you may have to wait for parts to be ordered. But this is where your landlord will have to supply temp heating.
    Thanks Vick, your a star. Do you happen to know what law/act this is, just so bf can quote it to smug gits at Cottons ?
    Ta GWST
    I have to go in a meeting 'til 1230 ish, I shall have a look when I come back if you haven't already sorted it.
    Thanks Vick :)
    Take a look at this, there are some numbers to call to check what your rights are.
    http://www.breckland.gov.uk/privatehousing#standpsh
    Well looks like our lanlord and his agents are a right set of tossers. Apparently, according to agents, bf was swearing like a trooper at them (he rarely swears), lanlord's attitude was 'Don't quote the fucking law at me and don't do anything to my house' TWAT.

Anyhoo someone's 'supposed' to be coming out today.

ETA - And now i'm really stressed as i don't like being around people i don't know (i.e. repairman) and got this stoopid worry in me head that landlord won't renew lease which is up on Boxing Day. All over some boiler that wont work. Bugger fuck pants cock :(
    Well if you do get evicted they have to give you a month's notice from when your tenancy ends, so at least it won't be on Christmas day! But I think he'd rather not have the hassle of evicting you and having an ampty property - having said that I had a lodlord who gave use 2 month's notice before the end date and had someone lined up already to move in! It's only because of that, that I looked into my rights. She was a proper BIATCH!!!!
    And also, I don't know how the law stands now but when my step dad was letting a flat to some woman, he wanted her out and by law he had to find somewhere for her similar in property and price for her to move into. But that may have been because he wanted her out before the tenancy ends. I'm not sure.