Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

divorce

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I really want to divorce my mum. I dont want to go into the personal issues surrounding such, but i dont know the law and how to go about it... HELP!
Thanks x

Comments

• Options
    How old are you?

If you are under 16 then there's not much recourse, unless there is a situation of abuse or similar where you could appeal to social services or something similar, but bear in mind living in a foster home isn't nice, in fact they're hell-holes most of the time.

But anyway, yea, if you're over 16 then you can do pretty much what you like, you don't need to live with her, you can move out or whatever but there may be a few issues if you try to apply for education and they ask for information from your mum, but you can normally tick 'no longer in contact'.

In the law as such, you can't 'divorce' your mum, she's your mum by blood, not a union by the law, and so you can't change that...

If you are over 16 and there are serious issues and you wanted to go down the legal route then possibly attempt to get a restraining order but you need documented evidence as to why you would want one / why it would be in your interests.
  • Options
    well over 16, been in care my mum has never given a damn about me. Someone i know wants to adopt me and i want it all legal.
    Sounds mad but if you knew the whole lot you'd understand, but its too personal.
  • Options
    Do you have child emancepation laws there?
  • Options
    ~MINXY~ wrote:
    well over 16, been in care my mum has never given a damn about me. Someone i know wants to adopt me and i want it all legal.
    Sounds mad but if you knew the whole lot you'd understand, but its too personal.

You're over 16 and want to be adopted?

WTF! :shocking:
  • Options
    I'm not sure if you can. I would suggest getting legal advice, possibly from your local citizens advice bureau? Or contact a solicitor, but they might charge you for a consultation / meeting.

Hope everything ends well though, can't you just disown your mother? I mean, legally, there isn't that much difference when you're independent and living away from home as to who is your legal guardian, I wouldn't have thought. The only situations I can see it cropping up is if you have an accident and want to donate your organs they often ask the next of kin which could be your mother...?

Seems a lot of hassle to go through for something that wont make a lot of difference though!
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Do you have child emancepation laws there?

Probably not (as in, I have no idea what you're saying) :)

To be fair, I don't think anyone over the age of 18 can be legally adopted, as far as I remember.
  • Options
    According to some of your other posts you are at least 21 so aren't you a little old to be adopted?
    If the problems you have with your mum are that bad then um..why not just move out/not contact her again.
    Just remember that you only have one set of parents however so don't make any rash decisions based on an argument.
  • Options
    Child emancipation is literally divorcing your parents, isn't it? I don't think we have the same procedure here, but my brother's first wife (American) became emancipated/"divorced" her parents so she could pursue her music career as it meant she was exempt from the usual laws regarding working hours for minors etc. Bit of random info there :p I think here you would have to be put into the care of someone else if you were under 16, whereas being emancipated you are considered able to care for yourself. That's my understanding of it, anyway.

On topic, I believe you can be adopted over the age of 18 but it's generally done in strictly legal terms and for reasons such as inheritance etc. I don't really see the point in your being adopted by someone else for reasons other than that, surely you can live with whomever you wish and consider them your mother/father figure without the legal formalities. As for your mother, she doesn't have to be any more a part of your life than you wish her to be, can't you just cut her out?
  • Options
    It was less than a year ago when I decided that I wanted to break contact with my father, which would basically mean that I would change my number, Email and not allow him to know my new address... If your mother is cruel to you then why don't you distance yourself from her?

I know having a parent who doesn't give a damn about you (or who you feel doesn't give a damn about you) is a terrible feeling... In my eyes at least it was the ultimate rejection and I grew up feeling unlovable. I don't know if you feel that way too...

Have you talked to your mother about your feelings?
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    I don't really see the point in your being adopted by someone else for reasons other than that, surely you can live with whomever you wish and consider them your mother/father figure without the legal formalities. As for your mother, she doesn't have to be any more a part of your life than you wish her to be, can't you just cut her out?

I agree with this. If your already very close to these people, whoever they are, then I don't see the problem. Just stay away from your mother and go live with these people. I don't see why you want it done legally - if these people love you and you love them, what difference will a piece of paper make?
  • Options
    Right i'm not gonna quote all the posts but

A) I dont live with my mum and its not just an arguement. Its been pysical and emotional abuse for as far from when i can remember, I just want to make a point. So 'divorcing' her feels like i would be able to move on. I dont want to know her. I love my dad, thankfully they are divorced.
    B) I want to be adopted because the woman I have always called my mum wants to and wants to make it official.

My dad bought me up, even though my mum was around. she rejected me from birth. I dont know why, and probably never will, so i dont feel loved. I may have been in care but (apart from my dad) my family make me feel like an outsider and it hurts alot.
  • Options
    Have you talked to your mother about your feelings?

Yes I have. I nearly died recently, I thought i had the flu but it wasn't and i was so dehydrated i was 2 days from dying. I sent a message to my mum saying 'Mum cant we try and rebuild a relationship, I am in hospital, have been told i nearly died and its shocked me'. And she didn't care :(
  • Options
    Then what does it matter? What will that little piece of paper prove? If she hasnt cared about you so far do you really think a bit of paper saying you're divorcing her will make her think 'oh shit im missing out here what a bad mum i've been'? if she hasnt figured that out by now she never will.
    I can see the words on the page screaming out for attention from your mum and for her to love you, but no matter what you do, it doesnt sound very likely to happen.
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    Then what does it matter? What will that little piece of paper prove? If she hasnt cared about you so far do you really think a bit of paper saying you're divorcing her will make her think 'oh shit im missing out here what a bad mum i've been'? if she hasnt figured that out by now she never will.
    I can see the words on the page screaming out for attention from your mum and for her to love you, but no matter what you do, it doesnt sound very likely to happen.

Yeah I guess. But I just feel that piece of paper can free me..... :confused: :banghead: :crying:
  • Options
    My lil sis is at 6th form and she said a girl in her class is trying to get adopted, cos she never sees her mum and wants nothing to do with her, think she takes drugs alot (the mum) and her dad lives abroad. So if she ever needs an emergency operation her adoptive parents can sign it cos they will be her next of kin so she aint got to wait for her dad to fly over or try and find her mum.
  • Options
    Could you write your own contract? If done and signed correctly it is a legal documet. It could be that piece of paper you need.