Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

When to begin taking the pill.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sorry if this is a daft question, just checking to make sure as i seem to have found lots of conflicting advice.

I have ben prescribed Cilest.

My doctor said to start taking them on my next period.
The leaflet also says this is the best bet.

However, it was my understanding that you can start taking it anytime, as long as you use alternative contraception for the following 7 days.

The FPA website seems to agree:

"If you start the pill at any other time in your menstrual cycle you will need to use another contraceptive method, such as condoms, for the first seven days of pill taking."

and also says:
"These instructions apply to all types of combined pill. You can start the pill anytime in your menstrual cycle if you are sure you are not pregnant."

BUT The cilest leaflet says it is a 'combined LOW DOSE oral contraceptive'

Is the low dosage the reason it should only be taken from the start of your cycle...?

Comments

• Options

Is the low dosage the reason it should only be taken from the start of your cycle...?
    Not as far as I know. I was on Mercilon, which is also a low dose, but since I switched from Microgynon to that, I can't remember how it worked. The low dose ones work exactly as all the others, AFAIK, and you should be able to just start taking them. I can't be certain though, and if you're unsure I'd contact your doctor

It is alot easier doing it when your period starts also, as it will mess your body around less, and you will, as you said, be protected straight away.
  • Options
    That was some quick replying! Thanks Nikki. x

It would probably be best to wait, my period has just been tho (although more than 5 days ago) so i wouldn't mind going 7days, to get the protection for the rest of the month.

Plus the timing is good now, not seeing the boyfriend this week anyway, and also starting on a monday would really help me keep my days straight, for my future packs etc.

Any ideas what the difference IS then with the low dose packs?
    Doctor changed her mind during the consultation because i specifically said i didn't want spots, So i'm assumming thats one advantage... lol
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    If I were you I'd follow the advice that both the doc and the leaflet says. You probably could do it the other way but because you are messing about with hormones I'd just stick with what the doc says.

Use alternative contraception until then.
  • Options
    Any ideas what the difference IS then with the low dose packs?
    Doctor changed her mind during the consultation because i specifically said i didn't want spots, So i'm assumming thats one advantage... lol

:yes: The hormones basically are a lower dosage. So while it's enough to give you protection from pregnancy, it has less of an effect on the rest of your body - so side effects are lessened.
  • Options
    Being a low dose one it won't work as well to overcome the other things hormones do in your body, so I suspect starting it at the wrong time will screw more with your cycle and take longer to settle down than if you waited a few weeks and took it on the first day.

Ring the FPA helpline, they'll give you an answer for Cilest.