Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Career...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So am currently temping, and have been temping for a couple of years now for agencies and I guess I'm happy enough, but I do realise that this is no long term solution. It's unfulfilling and work is such a huge part of life, that I want to do something fulfilling. Plus, one day I'll probably have to buy a house and support a family etc and the money is often not great. I could probably get a permanent office job if I started applying, but I really don't want to be doing this for the rest of my days. Not blowing my own trumpet, but at present I'm working an administration role at Leicester University and professors and academics keep saying "What are you doing here, you're to talented/clever etc to be working here, when you gonna do something?". And to be honest, I can't really answer them. I was at Uni for nearly two years myself, but it almost drove me to depression, I couldn't stand it anymore - so I chucked it. It aint for everyone. Even now I don't regret it, after earning money and standing on my own 2 feet a bit more for the last couple of years, I have zero desire for full time education again. It's not that I'm unambitious - I've had some wacko ideas, ie writing books for a living, trying to make it professional at golf etc, but the chances of making a living off these are so slim, I suppose I've gotta be a bit more sensible. I know I wanna make a change and step out of my comfort zone, but I have no idea what I wanna do, or how to do it. I'm really at a lose end. What's everyone else up to?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Arg

Everyone must be as equally stumped as you as no-one's replied!

I graduated this year, I've been doing work experience (it's been a struggle to have self respect at the age of 22 doing this, but it's been good for me...) I'm starting temping on Monday (with any luck).

Career though, ouf. I don't know! I've just about decided I want to work within the public sector, all these graduate schemes and big companies seem horrendous to me. It's hard to know what there is to do, everything seems to be HR or sales or accountancy or a gazillion other things I do not want to do.

I think I can console you that lots of other people feel like you. What were you doing at uni? I know you hated it, but have you really considered finishing the course? Maybe only part time? I dunno, not sure qualifications really help! It seems to be experience which is far more useful.

I guess the best thing to do is talk to people and lots of people, especially people a little older than you and who you like and maybe admire. Ask them what they do and what interests them etc, for ideas. I think I'm saying this to myself as I really don't know what to do longterm either!!

Anyhow, good luck!
    Coccinelle wrote:
    Everyone must be as equally stumped as you as no-one's replied!

I graduated this year, I've been doing work experience (it's been a struggle to have self respect at the age of 22 doing this, but it's been good for me...) I'm starting temping on Monday (with any luck).

Career though, ouf. I don't know! I've just about decided I want to work within the public sector, all these graduate schemes and big companies seem horrendous to me. It's hard to know what there is to do, everything seems to be HR or sales or accountancy or a gazillion other things I do not want to do.

I think I can console you that lots of other people feel like you. What were you doing at uni? I know you hated it, but have you really considered finishing the course? Maybe only part time? I dunno, not sure qualifications really help! It seems to be experience which is far more useful.

I guess the best thing to do is talk to people and lots of people, especially people a little older than you and who you like and maybe admire. Ask them what they do and what interests them etc, for ideas. I think I'm saying this to myself as I really don't know what to do longterm either!!

Anyhow, good luck!

My degree was Business Information Systems, a sort of hybrid of Business studies and computing. I quit because I realised it would gain me no real advantage. It would have qualified me to do a dull office job, which hey presto, i'm doing now without the degree. I agree with you - everything in this country seems to be one big service industry: sales, admin, call centre's etc... I hate big companies to, there's no soul in the world anymore. I've been involved with all three of those I listed and have found none metally stimulating whatsoever. I think my brain is rotting. Sometimes I just wanna scream! I really don't like the way it's going in this country - most of us are stuck in offices like battery hens all day, doing extremely tedious work. But still, I can moan all I want, it aint gonna change.

I also agree that qualifications dont always help. There are sod all decent graduate jobs out there unless you're seriously the bollocks or you've got a masters or something. I think so much of it is not what you know, but who you know...
    Hi LeicesterLuke,

It is frustrating not knowing what you want to do with your life. Sometimes it feels like we've been asked that question a hundred times since wanting to be an astronaut at aged 5, and lots of people don't have a more realistic answer in their 20's or beyond. There's nothing wrong with that, but if you're not happy temping then it's good you're thinking about what your next step might be.

Thinking about some of the organisations you've temped for, have any of them seemed appealing? Have you been tempted to ask if any of them have more permanent roles available? That's how I found my long-term career - by staying on at an organisation I'd been a temp receptionist at, then moving up within that company. Aside from that, what other interests do you have? For example, do you like web design, could you do a course and try and get some freelance work? Would you consider moving into a business-related but more challenging role, such as in HR or the finance department of a company? Perhaps think about visiting your library and reading a book like one of these ones, there might be something in there you'd never otherwise have thought of.

What do your friends/family/acquaintances/contacts do for a job? How did they get those jobs, and are any of them things you'd like to do? By finding out how others reached their current positions, this might give you some ideas of how to go about finding your own perfect job.

TheSite also has some articles that might help, here and here, and while this article is aimed at graduates it might still have some useful stuff.

Prospects has a questionnaire that might give you some ideas. Above all, don't give up - the days of working for one company for 40 years are pretty much over, and apparently most people change their whole job every 7 years or so, so you've got plenty of time to find out what you want to do and work towards it.
    Thanks for your advice. I'll take a look at some of that stuff...