Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Bonfire Night "an environmental disaster".

An MP has warned the public not to light fires in their gardens this weekend, branding Bonfire Night "an environmental disaster".

In the wake of the Stern report, Labour's Barry Sheerman said people had to recognise the connection between their actions and the planet's future.

He said: "Too many people will pussyfoot around because they think it's part of their heritage to have a bonfire in the back garden and burn a Catholic on it.

"But this weekend there will be more dioxins and more carbon put into the atmosphere than much of industry puts in the rest of year. It is a cataclysmic disaster.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/03112006/356/bonfire-night-disaster.html

So there you have it. Don't do it, boys and girls. :D

On a serious note, does anyone bother with a bonfire? Not round where I live that's for sure...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Pathetic.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Surely this can't be the same Barry Sheerman who recently commented in the local rag that bonfire events brought the community 'closer'.

What a clown.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Twats! Sigh...

Bonfires are ace. My Grandad used to have a great one.
    Ok, but he's right. Bonfires are really dirty in terms of carbon emmissions and particulates. Local firework events are great community events, but if you didn't light one in your garden it'd be one bonfire instead of 5000 for any given community.
    JsT wrote:
    Surely this can't be the same Barry Sheerman who recently commented in the local rag that bonfire events brought the community 'closer'.

What a clown.

It does though. Where I'm from all the kids from the estate get together and go collecting, when the bonfire is made the whole estate come and watch and talk and let of fireworks.

Our bonfire this year was quite big, though they did have something like 200 car tyres which shouldn't have been there.
    You know that Mr Fawkes had the right idea for where to have a fire on 5th Nov.

:D
    Labour MP talks bollocks shocker!

£60,000 a year for a tosser like that. Use him as the Guy and at least we might get our money's worth.
    Kermit wrote:
    Labour MP talks bollocks shocker!

£60,000 a year for a tosser like that. Use him as the Guy and at least we might get our money's worth.
    Excluding his £146,000 expenses :rolleyes:
    Bonfires environmnetal disaster?

Well I never!
    Light the blue touch paper and retire to at least a mile :)
    :thumb:

If only he wasn't a Monarchist!
    Burn a catholic? Can i burn this one??
    100_6512_pope_closup.jpg

Ooooh controversial! :thumb:
    Fuck off ya prody cunt! :)
    satehen wrote:
    Burn a catholic? Can i burn this one??
    100_6512_pope_closup.jpg

Ooooh controversial! :thumb:

Thats no Moon!/Pope! (This place needs strikethrough code)
    In this day and age I'm surprised Bonfire Night hasn't been banned on hatred law grounds already. Imagine if the tradition had been 'burn a Muslim' or 'burn a Jew' instead... ;)
    Aladdin wrote:
    In this day and age I'm surprised Bonfire Night hasn't been banned on hatred law grounds already. Imagine if the tradition had been 'burn a Muslim' or 'burn a Jew' instead... ;)
    Does it really celebrate the burning of a Catholic though? I thought it was more celebrating the fact that he didn't blow up Parliament.
    Does it really celebrate the burning of a Catholic though? I thought it was more celebrating the fact that he didn't blow up Parliament.
    Our old mate Barry clearly thinks so. Got a two page spread in the local rag.

I guess you have to ask [why he wanted to blow up parliament...
    I prefer to celebrate the fact that he tried.
    Well they're not amazingly good for the environment (maybe he should target short haul flights, the meat industry, driving or buying foreign fruit)... And we do need to learn about environmental responsibility even if it isn't hip, sexy or fun.

Odd innit... The Stern report comes out and politicians start giving a shit. Shows where their interests lie.
    I guess you have to ask [why he wanted to blow up parliament...

Partially because they wanted a return to an absolutist Catholic monarchy and with a racist hatred of Scots partially he wanted to kill a Scottish king and his Scotch advisors.

Now the Parliament under James I and VI may not have been perfect, but it was a damned site better than what Fawkes and Catesby wanted. You can pretty much draw a direct line between James VI (with a few minor detours) and a modern mainly democratic and mainly tolerant modern Britain.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    I think they still burn the pope down in Lewes.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    I think they still burn the pope down in Lewes.

It was the Pope for years and years, but now its a different yearly hate figure, Bin Laden was one year for example.

And anyway, it doesnt have a deep meaning anymore, its just a chance to blow things up and ooooh and aaaah and the pretty sparkling lights.
    budda wrote:
    It was the Pope for years and years, but now its a different yearly hate figure, Bin Laden was one year for example.

At the risk of being picky it wasn't the pope, but a pope, specifically Pope Paul V

Pope_Paul_V.jpg

who was head of the Church during the time of the Plot.
    budda wrote:

For the left it's been President Bush since 2000. For those uninterested in politics it seems to be 'Lady' Heather Mills McCartney at the moment.
    For the left it's been President Bush since 2000. For those uninterested in politics it seems to be 'Lady' Heather Mills McCartney at the moment.

I was refering to the burnt figure at Lewes, which as Flashmans Ghost points out was a Pope, and as I said is now just a yearly hate figure.