Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Going to gigs on your own

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
So the general concensus in the past seems to be that going places alone is good and shows bravery, etcetc. I'm usually not afraid BUT...

The deal is that my friends are very much people that dig the latest trends that is fed to them via MTV and top30 lists on the radio. Nothing wrong with that except that I'm into harder stuff. In September I finally got enough courage to ask a friend if she wanted to go to me to a DnB event and I absolutely loved it, want to do more, etcetc. However, although my friend enjoyed it, it wasn't quite on the same level as I did.

I'm a bit troubled as I would love to go to more events like that, I've come to realise that the scene is quite good and lots of interesting DJs are coming to Iceland. The only thing stopping me is the lack of friends that are into the same and I kinda hold the view that going alone to stuff like this isn't quite the same as going to the movies on your own... I don't know where to pick up techno-loving friends either. ;)

Any views?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I'm more into rock/punk etc, not so much now, but when i was younger I'd go with a group of friends and spend most of the gig on my own, usually in the crowd...you lose people. Same when I was at reading, I had a lot more fun seeing the bands on my own, meeting new people

Plus if you go by yourself you might meet some people, then next time you won't be on your own :)
  • Options
    I don't really have any advice i'm afraid but I often find myself in the same situation as you. I'm into few a few different genres of music but most of the gigs I go to are your typical rock/indie kind.. and most of my friends are into the same kind of thing but they're only really interested in the bigger bands.. So i go to them and ask them if they wanna go to see a smaller (but often better) band that aren't really well known none them will really be that bothered, hence i wont end up going and miss out alot. However, when a well known band in a larger venue announces they're doing a tour it's like "OMG it goes on sale soon, lets get tickets!!!". It has other downsides too.. like paying £30 to see a band in a massive venue when i could have gone and seen about 3 bands in more intimate venues for the same amount of money. And being a 16-year old girl, going to see gigs in central London late at night on my own isn't really an option. Even if it was i'd feel like a loner and too self-concious.

Take the example of last week... I discovered that two bands (Klaxons and The Holloways) were playing gigs at a little venue on consecutive weekends in late December for the price of £8. And i really REALLY would have loved to have got tickets, so i asked my friend who i know also likes these bands if she wanted to go and she said i don't really know.. This is always means no, i'll come up with an excuse later. The next day we were sitting reading NME and turned to the gig listings page and saw that another band we also really really like but are quite big (Dirty Pretty things) were gonna be playing the Forum, (I would have wanted to go to this regardless of the other gigs) this however was at a venue probably about 10 times the capacity and tickets were £30 each! But she jumped at the chance! So yeah i can empathise.

Sorry this has kinda turned into more a rant about something that annoys me rather than anything relevant to your problem...

I would say though, that it's at least worth a try going on your own. See if you're comfortable with it. It's better than staying at home and missing out. It'll probably be the best way to make friends that like going to the same kinda events too.
  • Options
    I wana go out to clubs and to see DJ's and bands etc, but I have no one to go with & I don't really want to go by myself to be honest. For me, although the main part of the evening is seeing whoever I'm going to see, the rest of it is being there with freinds... but I suppose once I get used to living where I am now, I'll be more inclined to go out alone. I dunno, depends how lonely I get I suppose :lol:
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies so far. This is quite an interesting issue I think.

I posted this before I left my uni for the city, and on my way here I was listening to a recent mix by DJ Lucca who is DJing here in Reykjavík tonight and if anything I want to go even more now! This is just the kind of music I can dance my arse off throughout the night.

I think I might give it a go! I wouldn't be drinking and can park very close to the venue. If I realise it isn't the same without my friends I'll at least be wiser with that knowledge. :) I do know that I will regret it if I won't be able to make it. Yet I'm still a bit nervous at the thought I'll admit! I'm a shy and self-conscious person at times although I do know that when I get into the feeling the surroundings don't matter any longer.
  • Options
    Go for it! I don't think you'll regret it.
  • Options
    I'm in a simmilar situation but the other way round...
    All my mates are into drum and bass, hardcore e.t.c and so am I, always go to raves with my mates....
    However I'm also into metal and only a few of mates are too so when I went to see my favourite band of all time KORN (for the second time) none of my mates who like metal had any money so I went alone and I still had a fucking awesome time... I met loads of people, and as I'm so crazy about Korn that it didn't really matter if there I was with anyone or not..the thing that mattered was my favourite band was on stage playing my favourite songs right in front of me...and it rocked! :thumb:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    I havn't and never would go raving without my mates. Mainly because when it's never advisable to take drugs and get pissed on your own.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Dad was just telling me girls shouldn't be out late at night on their own these days. :o We've had some brutal rapings in a short time downtown.
    It's shit staying at home because of something like that though. =/
  • Options
    I did go and I made it back alive. :D Don't regret having gone! Danced for about three and a half hours, whee. My clothes are drenched. XD
  • Options
    Only a couple of my mates like DnB actually... alot of the raves I go to its just with one other bloke...
    I have never been on my own before, but I think I would still have a good time...

Plus you can just talk to anyone really, especially when your sitting down chilling out.
    Still though, I would rather be there with someone...
  • Options
    Replicant wrote:
    I wana go out to clubs and to see DJ's and bands etc, but I have no one to go with & I don't really want to go by myself to be honest. For me, although the main part of the evening is seeing whoever I'm going to see, the rest of it is being there with freinds... but I suppose once I get used to living where I am now, I'll be more inclined to go out alone. I dunno, depends how lonely I get I suppose :lol:
    what is it your're into?
  • Options
    I will agree that it's better to be with somebody, but I'm glad to have tried going solo. I've got the experience now. :D
    Maybe I'll be able to convince my friends to check it out with me in the future. ;)
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    what is it your're into?

I've been to a breaks night at po na na which was good, Mr Scruff played the music box a couple nights ago, which woulda been fun. also hoping to get some freinds from undergrad uni to come up at some point and maybe explore the warehouse project. Gilles peterson played there the other week which woulda been awesome.

otherwise all sorts of things, but not really into the rave scene to be honest, but liking balaerica, electro, left field, electronica, breaks... lotsa stuff really. I like my nice cocktail bars playing cool music too.

actually, I think my fave thing was chilling out drinking at freinds houses more than anything, houseparties and summer bbq's of course :)
  • Options
    Replicant wrote:
    Mr Scruff played the music box a couple nights ago, which woulda been fun. also hoping to get some freinds from undergrad uni to come up at some point and maybe explore the warehouse project.
    my mate went to see mr scruff at the music box a couple of months ago. he said it was great. i went to roger sanchez at the warehouse project and it was ok.. i dont think hes anything special but the atmosphere was great. loadsa people have been slating it though but i think they're just die-hard sankey go-ers so feel loyal to the club. daft!
  • Options
    Jaloux wrote:
    I did go and I made it back alive. :D Don't regret having gone! Danced for about three and a half hours, whee. My clothes are drenched. XD

Cool. did you make friends there to go with next time? That's always a bonus.