Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Workwear for scrawnies!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The dress code on at my current job is uber casual, so I have amassed a huge collection of casual clothes over the last couple of years, but absolutely no workwear.

However, I have an interview, and possibly another too, both at companies where I would have to look really sharp. Ideally I need to find a suit. Herein lies the problem.

Where can I find suits with slim-cut jackets? The trousers and skirts are fine. They fit, and they look grand. However, I have never found a suit jacket that doesn't look ridiculous on me. H&M blazers fit perfectly, but are way too casual, and for some reason they make their smart jackets giant around the shoulders and sleeves!

Assist me, skinny people. Where do you get your workwear from?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have massive shoulders and slim hips but I recently bought a beautiful suit jacket from monsoon - none of their bottoms stay up though so might just be my triangular body coming in useful.

What's your budget? Does it have to be a suit suit? What about finding a jacket, any jacket to fit and teaming it with a dress or shirt and skirt? Could you get away with vintage - they are cut smaller?
    double postage

But I might as well use this space to suggest Karen Millen, not sure about the trousers but the dresses come up small and the suit jackets may well just do the same?
    Budget is as little as possible, but could probably fork out a little more for something really nice that's going to last.

I'd prefer a suit suit. Trousers preferable. Need to look absolutely spot on for this one, there's no room for error!
    I'm going to sound like someone's mother now, but what about Marks?

My mum (whos five foot and like a rake) swears by them or Karen Millen.
    go into a rather nice suit place, some of them you'll find some really helpful suit fitter type person, (I assume it's the same for girls) who can give you advice on what kind of cut jacket will look best on you... try some on, and dont buy them :)

then remember the cut and go somewhere else
    primark, their sizes can be tiny!

and they have a FIT pinstripe one at the minute
    Kermit wrote:
    I'm going to sound like someone's mother now, but what about Marks?

My mum (whos five foot and like a rake) swears by them or Karen Millen.

Too big :(

I don't know if it's the sizes themselves, or just that the cut of the clothes has more ease built in, like Next clothes have. Probably the latter.
    Replicant wrote:
    go into a rather nice suit place, some of them you'll find some really helpful suit fitter type person, (I assume it's the same for girls) who can give you advice on what kind of cut jacket will look best on you... try some on, and dont buy them

The most annoying thing is that I know what will suit me, I just can't find it! I've got a H&M blazer that fits absolutely perfectly, it's just that the fabric makes it way too casual. If I could find the exact same jacket in suiting fabric with matching low waist, wide leg trousers I would absolutely die of happiness.

Sadly H&M cut their workwear in a totally different fashion :grump:
    Littleali wrote:
    primark, their sizes can be tiny!

First place I tried! Ha ha! Their sizes are all over the place though, and all the suits I tried on were giant. The size 8 trousers actually fell to the ground around my feet, while being buttoned up.

I'm going into town tomorrow and I HAVE to find something suitable. Any ideas for places to try would be awesome. I need to check out Zara, they can have nice, slim fitting tops, and my favourite black trousers are from there.

Does Topshop do suits? If so, are they as overpriced as the rest of their clothes?
    I remember Mishumo stuff for men was usually slim fitting. So with that in mind, I had a look at the girls stuff. I can't tell from the pictures though, not being a girl and all.
    Topshop do do some suits, mainly jackets, and they come in small sizes, they're usually around the £50 mark.

I am very slim on top and have small shoulders so have a similar problem. I got a nice suit from French Connection a while ago - they often have a lot of suits and do a size 6, however they seem to have got more and more pricey.

I would definitely suggest Zara and especially Mango, will be alot cheaper and they have some nice styles which are generally very fitted.
    Warehouse have nice suits and they do size 6.
    Ooh, yeah. Warehouse! I'm off shopping tomorrow, so I'll add that to my list of places to try.

Checkout Tesco/Asda, my suit is Tesco (although I've had many comments on how nice it is, and based on my jacket being a 22 I'd say that they are cut pretty narrow!

If you don't find one though, especially at this time of year you could easily get away with suit trousers, a blouse, smart jumper and a coat over the top that you take off when you go in.
    kookai?
    zara do very small sizes
    kookai?
    I'm sure they all closed down in the UK.
    bay?
    i always found that morgan did tiny sizes, but i never go in there so dont know if they do suit type stuff, or if they're sizing is still small
    Success! After going into EVERY shop in town, I finally found the booty in Zara.

I did have to try on EVERY suit in Zara though. :grump:

I hate shopping for things I don't want.
    good stuff!

and good luck with the interview. :thumb:
    kaffrin wrote:
    Success! After going into EVERY shop in town, I finally found the booty in Zara.
    oooo didnt i say zara :razz:
    fashion medal:
    ZlotyMedal.jpg
    lap of honour :yippe:
    spikes may help in a sprint, but try not to get ya heels caught on the way round.