Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

NUS Tuition Fees Protest

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes, it's NUS extra. I think it's the only thing that we can get at York, and I'm buggered if I'm paying a tenner for 5% off at Amazon, which is the only thing I'd use it for. I've got my York uni ID card which proves I'm a student so tbh I don't see the point in having an NUS extra card. Grr.

Why is it annoying you so much then Piccolo?
  • Options
    what really bugs me is the way they asses your parents income they presume that if you have no siblings under the age of 18 theres no one else being supported by your parents and they dont even consider savings. my dad works with someone who had a HUGE inheritance from somewhere and she and her husband decided to work only part time cos they could afford it so when their son went to uni he got so much financial help it was unbelieveable even thought theyr totally loaded, becuase they werent earning much.
    When i went to uni my sister was unemployed so my parents were paying for everything for her cos it takes ages to get on benefits and had to take out a loan to pay my tuition fees!
    also the bloody non income assesed loan bugs me cos i have a friend whos really quite well off and shes getting the non income loan and her parents are putting it in a savings account for her and paying her the money she needs for uni, which is great for her because it means she'll have money at the end of uni but if people didnt do this maybe thered be more money for middle income families who dont aparently need financial help!

(sorry ranting abit....)
  • Options
    i think people should have to pay fees (those who can't afford it get them paid anyway) but i don't agree with the top up fees malarky.

What do you agree with then?

The actual cost of a humanities degree is around £9,000- £10,000 a year, depending on university- that is what the international students pay. For a science degree that figure rises to £15,000-£17,000 a year.

Even with top-up fees, students are paying a fraction of what it actually costs to teach them.

ShyBoy's figures don't surprise me- the way the new system is set up is ridiculous. People from poor families get so much from the Government for no good reason- everyone should have to pay the same as it is payable upon graduation. Most of the extra money raised goes on the astronomical bursaries that go to the children of poor people- as usual, the middle classes who get off their arse and work for a living end up paying through the nose for the children of scuffers who can't or won't pull their weight.
  • Options
    What was this 'old system' then?

Kermit - why do you think it's unfair that poor people get get so much from the government? Do you think it's fair that they'd probably have to work harder (the students; not the parents) because they won't be able to afford to send their child to uni? And the student from the rich family will be alright going through uni because mummy and daddy will help them...
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

The actual cost of a humanities degree is around £9,000- £10,000 a year, depending on university- that is what the international students pay. For a science degree that figure rises to £15,000-£17,000 a year.

Even with top-up fees, students are paying a fraction of what it actually costs to teach them.
    How does it cost 9-10 grand a year for a humanities degree? I don't understand. There's the cost of paying the tutors. But they don't supply us with any equipment, minus some 'handouts' and 'module handbooks' but that's only a bit of paper and ink. The university already owns the buildings we have lessons in so it's not like they're paying to hire a room.

I don't see how that cost is possible...?
  • Options
    student numbers have doubled, amount of money the government gives per student has halved in the same time period

coincidence?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    why do you think it's unfair that poor people get get so much from the government? Do you think it's fair that they'd probably have to work harder (the students; not the parents) because they won't be able to afford to send their child to uni? And the student from the rich family will be alright going through uni because mummy and daddy will help them...

I think that the student loan should be enough to live on properly, and that all the new bursaries should be removed.

I don't think its fair that the children of poor parents get to pay less because it isn't the parents who are paying- its the children. Even if the kid from the poor family gets the top job earning £100k a year they will still pay less back for their university tuition than someone from a middling family who earns £20k. That is completely unfair.

The fairest way would be to abolish student loans and tuition fees and charge a graduate tax, but I don't know how practical that would be. It certainly isn't fair that the children of poor people pay less for their education because it isn't the parents who pay. It's the child. What they pay should depend on their salary, really, but if not they should pay the same as everyone else.
  • Options
    How does it cost 9-10 grand a year for a humanities degree? I don't understand.

That's how much it costs.

You're being too simplistic about how much things cost. Does the lecture hall heat and light itself? Does the porter work for free? Does the cleaner work for free? Does the library buy its own books and staff itself? Do the administrators work for nothing?

My point was that the actual cost to the Government of your degree is more than £3000. You are not paying for the whole of your tuition, you are merely contributing towards the cost of it.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    That's how much it costs.

You're being too simplistic about how much things cost. Does the lecture hall heat and light itself? Does the porter work for free? Does the cleaner work for free? Does the library buy its own books and staff itself? Do the administrators work for nothing?

My point was that the actual cost to the Government of your degree is more than £3000. You are not paying for the whole of your tuition, you are merely contributing towards the cost of it.
    You don't know that. Is there any chance that the university might charge £9000 for a history degree so that they can offer a science degree at a more competitive price?

Oh and I think research is actually the main cost for any degree, though I think a lot of that is also government funded.
  • Options
    You don't know that. Is there any chance that the university might charge £9000 for a history degree so that they can offer a science degree at a more competitive price?

Whatever.

The point is that £3000 does not cover the cost of one year's university tuition. Someone who pays the full top-up fee is not covering the full cost of their education.

I'm sure more popular courses do subsidise less popular ones, but not to that extent- it tends to be people like Glaxo that subsidise the science degrees (they certainly pump a lot of money into Durham's science departments).