Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

tips for a tall guy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i might waffle a bit, but here goes...
im just wondering what you lot think looks good or bad on someone whos 6'4" and on the thinner athletic side.

to start, im 23, have quite a distinguished face, short darkish hair and almost always have stubble (soft not itchy!).

i dont want to dress too smart unless i go somewhere that requires it. i just want to be smart enough to go out and look decent. i use my bike a lot so smart black shoes and trousers arent what im looking for. also, i hang around with a bunch of students but i hate that 'typical student look'. you know the one. that long haired indie look. i usually knock about in a nike t shirt or similar, and some lightweight white/blue puma shoes.

when i was in college i used wear quite baggy clothes and dark coloured vans trainers all the time. but i realised baggy clothes look soft on someone so tall.

in the last few years i've started getting some brighter t shirts (red/white) that are now L insted of XL/XXL and they fit better. but i cant stand skinny jeans. they feel horrible. i try to find something loose but i feel they still might look too baggy on me. do i have to wear skinny jeans to look decent?

the area im most bothered with is the 2nd top layer, now summer is over. but i cant find any top i like that isnt grey / dark blue. i will quite happily wear a red or white t shirt, but im not sure on a light coloured sweater. any tips? maybe some sort of jacket? is a plain coloured jumper too ....plain?

nearly done....black or white socks? and beanie hats.....ive been told the one ive got looks alright on me but i see so many people who look daft in them. what do you think?

thats it ....thanks.;)

Comments

• Options
    well i'm a short girl so i don't know how good my advice is going to be. but as long as your clothes fit well i don't see how your height will make a difference. its good that you've started to wear smaller tshirts. i think fitted tops always look nicer than big baggy ones. firstly, what is this skinny jean thing you keep talking about? :p unless you want to look like kasabian et. al. i don't see why you would want to wear them anyway! most guys are just sticking to their normal jeans.. you can get some really nice ones if you're willing to spend e.g. diesel. i always think a guy looks really nice in some diesels and a brown leather belt. then for tops: well layering always looks good and also makes plain tops look better. in fact i don't like tops with big logos or graphics on them. now that its getting cold you could just wear a white tshirt underneath a nice jumper. what about dark green? or black? im sure theres loadsa stuff out there just get trying things on! take a girl with you and also have a look around at what other people are wearing.
  • Options
    yeah just wear normal jeans, like not baggy, or skinny. Just ordinary width lol! i agree with the brown leather belt looks good.

as for t-shirts. I dont find plain bright coloured rond neck t-shirts too attractive, theyre all good for wearing under jumpers in winter though. Try long sleeve tops, darker colours, like navy blue, black, brown. Or stpriey jumpers - but not the chavvy type.

with some nice shoes. not too posh but some nice brown/black leather basic shoes. Or some really nice trainers.

Im basically describing the look of a very sexy sax player i know!! haha
  • Options
  • Options
    Black socks, always black socks.

No polo necks.

Wear a beanie if you like it:)

My thoughts.
  • Options
    White socks would be a mistake.
    Horizontal stripes are good for tall people
  • Options
    I like the student indie scruffy look. But I'm a scruff myself, so I dunno.

Just wear what feels right for you.
  • Options
    i'm about your height too, I like shopping in surf shops, wear normal cut jeans, nice t-shirt (nothing bright, mind) with somthing on it (I love threadless for example).

jeans from gap fit pretty well, low rise boot fit, or whatever. decent pair of leather shoes (hard to find ones I like, I have some by art atm). jeans & brown jumper works well I reckon.
    always black socks.
    hats... who cares so long as it keeps your ears warm? :)

but that's just me, I suspect I'm nowhere near on the ball when it comes to mens fashion :lol:
  • Options
    Staight off the BBC website:

* Don't wear jackets done right up, avoid zips down the front, and avoid wearing the same colour head to toe.

* Don't wear pinstripe suits, vertical patterns, jackets that end at the waist or very thin ties.

* Do think about longer jackets, double-breasted suits and trousers with a low waist.

* Do try lower cut trendy jeans in dark denim and layering different length tops and jackets.

It might be good to look at some taller celebrities if you're looking for a bit of inspiration. Someone like Pete Doherty, Ashton Kutcher or Clive Owen. I'd say Pete Doherty is the best one to look at, because he's quite slim, and he also is a bit hit and miss, so you can look at what not to wear as well as what looks good.
  • Options
    jeans in dark denim

:yes: light demin is a no go
  • Options
    i got my brown leather belt in 2002, it seemed to catch on very quickly in 2004.

chinos from landsend.co.uk for smart. flannel lined trousers are very cofortable and look smart. and landsend do good sizes (i am 6ft 4 as well). flannel takes a while to dry tho.

i'm tempted to say that turnups will come back into fashion soon! watch this space.
  • Options
    some good answers there.........thanks:)