Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Driving Test Today

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I had my driving test today. I stalled (not dangerously though), accidentally put it into 3rd gear when I was aiming for 5th, parked in front of a drive, blocked a right turn for oncoming traffic when waiting at traffic lights, went wide on left turns about 3 times, speeded a few times (only just though), and did the most awkward bay-park at the end of the test I've ever done........and still passed. I only got 8 minors. Now I'm worried. If that's the standard required to pass, no wonder there's so many shit drivers on the road. I'm normally much better at driving than that, but I was sure I'd failed when I stopped the car. Oh well, pass plus now.

Comments

• Options
    Don't diss it! Congrats
  • Options
    Well played chief :thumb:
  • Options
    Yeah I know. S'pose I did nothing dangerous. Cheers.
  • Options
    Well done! Yeah, i personally think that a lot depends on your examiner, the circumstances etc - it's all on the day. I still swear to this day that I drove better on the first test which I failed than I did on my second when I passed...
  • Options
    I wouldn't complain if I were you! Well done :birthday:
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Ace, well done!:thumb:
  • Options
    Well done! God I want your examiner..... I keep getting the same one every time and she notices any little thing and calls it a dangerous. :( But very well done, now stop playing on the net and go and drive!
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Congratulations :D
  • Options
    Yes, congrats :thumb:
  • Options
    accidentally put it into 3rd gear when I was aiming for 5th,
    I fucking got a major for exactly the same thing.

I only had 4 other minors.

How the fuck did you get away with doing that when I failed for it? :grump:

Congratulations anyways :D
  • Options

Why were both of you aiming for 5th gear anyway on a driving test, what speed were you both doing?

In most driving situations you won't use 5th gear until you're doing like 50 mph+ and that's on my car which has 6 gears, so I expect most cars would be even less likely to need 5th on a driving test?
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    because the examiner felt like being mean?

ETA: I'm sure I should have failed the 3rd time I took my test - I did a hill start without being in gear and then bumped the kerb while doing the parralell park thing. But I passed and I'm still a shit driver :D I nearly ran someone down on a pedestrian crossing t'other day - just wasn't paying attention to the red lights :(

I turned right yesterday and only at the last second saw two policemen walking about to cross the same road, but their own fault I reckon, it was pitch black and they were dressed in their normal Navy Uniforms which is almost black from head to to a, including dark helmets, every other police person I saw that day had reflective vests.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix

My mate was failed for "not indictating early enough" as a majour.

WTF.
  • Options
    Why were both of you aiming for 5th gear anyway on a driving test, what speed were you both doing?

In most driving situations you won't use 5th gear until you're doing like 50 mph+ and that's on my car which has 6 gears, so I expect most cars would be even less likely to need 5th on a driving test?

I had to drive in 5th in my test, I went down the dual carriageway that has a 70mph limit. Have to stick to the speed limit within reasonable conditions, or they fail you for going too slow.

My car will do anything upward of about 30mph comfortably in 5th gear.
  • Options

I'd just gone through the national speed limit signs and this fucker in a BMW had just overtook me, so I wanted to catch the bastard up. Put it into third and though, "oh fuck". I didn't think any of my errors were majors, but as far as minors went, I did the most major ones, if you get what I mean, so I thought they'd add up.

Oh and nic, I can't drive, I don't have a car. :grump: I waiting for my stepdad to go down the beach in our 4x4, cos he promised me I could drive it off-road when I passed (bet he backs out now though).
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I had my driving test today. I stalled (not dangerously though), accidentally put it into 3rd gear when I was aiming for 5th, parked in front of a drive, blocked a right turn for oncoming traffic when waiting at traffic lights, went wide on left turns about 3 times, speeded a few times (only just though), and did the most awkward bay-park at the end of the test I've ever done........and still passed. I only got 8 minors. Now I'm worried. If that's the standard required to pass, no wonder there's so many shit drivers on the road. I'm normally much better at driving than that, but I was sure I'd failed when I stopped the car. Oh well, pass plus now.
    You're right, you shouldn't have passed. Go give your license back, you fucking bastard. I can't tolerate people like you, you should be thrown to rot in a prison where they stab different parts of you every day, but not in places that could kill you.

:p Congrats! :thumb:
  • Options
    I didn't think any of my errors were majors, but as far as minors went, I did the most major ones, if you get what I mean, so I thought they'd add up.

You didn't make the same mistake twice and whilst the mistakes were a bit daft, they didn't threaten the safety of any other road user.

Clumsy but safe, that's about what you can expect from a novice on their test.

Now you learn to drive.
  • Options

I know its not the same on your test, but i always drive in fifth. It saves petrol - and anyone who denies that should take a peek in their vehicle handbook :p
  • Options
    Doofay wrote:
    I know its not the same on your test, but i always drive in fifth. It saves petrol - and anyone who denies that should take a peek in their vehicle handbook :p

It saves hardly any petrol if you're having to stop-start in city traffic (because then you'll still have to work up the gears anyway), encourages speeding, and gives you less control over the vehicle.

Personally I'd only see fifth gear for doing 60+.

I'm also still a bit confused about why I'm with Stupid was ever trying to go into fifth gear. If you wanted to catch up with some BMW driver - which was probably not a great idea on the test - then you'd need a gear that could provide more power for acceleration, not fifth. Fifth gear is for cruising, not catching.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Mist wrote:
    Personally I'd only see fifth gear for doing 60+.

It depends on the vehicle and and your gear ratios.

In my motor I can cruise at 50 in 5th and still pull away fine, and use less fuel.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options

I've had to go into fifth on all three of my tests, and I fully expect to on my fourth test. I don't change gear by speed though, I find it easier to listen to the engine and use the rev counter, so I'd guess I'd of been doing 50-60mph. Admittedly, my instructors car has sixth gear though.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    I'm also still a bit confused about why I'm with Stupid was ever trying to go into fifth gear. If you wanted to catch up with some BMW driver - which was probably not a great idea on the test - then you'd need a gear that could provide more power for acceleration, not fifth. Fifth gear is for cruising, not catching.
    Because I was going nearly 60mph. What's wrong with that?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    My mate was failed for "not indictating early enough" as a majour.

WTF.
    That sucks.
  • Options
    Congratulations! :D