Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Favourtie 50's and 60's tracks?

SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Common people, some of you must have seen American Graffiti, some of you must love the Beatles, and love the music from the Vietnam films. What are you favourite tracks from arguably the most revolutionary decades from the 20th century in terms of music?
Are my mates and I the only sad cunts that love this old shit?

Anything by simon and Garfunkel, or Paul Simon on his own. Bright Eyes makes alomst makes me cry and it's got fuck all to do with dirty rabbits. Kodachome reminds me of my mum for some reason (but that's 70's) :heart:

Little Richard - Long Tall Sally
The Hollies - He Aint Heavy
Elvis - Devil In Disguise
Sam Cooke - Wonderful World
Animals - Gotta Get Out Of This Place
Beatles - Let It Be
Manfred Man - The Mighty Quinn http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsVm2VuAHYU
Ruby Tuesday - Marrianne Faithful :thumb: better than the Stones
Otis Day - Shout (better than that twat Lulu) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7G1-IR2rrU
Otis Readin - Sittin On The Dock
Dusty Springfield - Son Of A Preacher
Ben E King - Stand By Me
The Crystals - Then He Kissed Me
Beatles - Twist and Shout
The Drifters - Up On The Roof
Coasters - Yakety Yak
Betales - Yesterday

That's just a random selection. I could be here all day. :D
Weekender Offender 
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm afraid I'm not really a fan of 50's and 60's music...EXCEPT for the Beatles, but then who doesn't like them?
    Favourite Beatles songs have got to be Eleanor Rigby, Yesterday and Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds.
    The Doors.

Bits and pieces of other bands.
    ray charles - mess around
    dion - runaround sue
    melanie - ruby tuesday (just downloading the marianne faithful version)
    mams and the paps - california dreaming
    amen corner - if paradise is half as nice as
    Skive wrote:

Ben E King - Stand By Me

:heart:!:yes:

I can't remember what decade it is, but: Denise La Salle - Don't Mess With My Toot Toot. Best song EVER!
    can't find toot toot even on bearshare, care to link me with the mp3]
    can't find toot toot even on bearshare, care to link me with the mp3]

it's from the 80s and it needs reverb. not bad but what's a toot toot
    I don't know how someone can dismiss a decade of music so easily by saying they just "don't like it". Music covers various genres throughout any decade and it's ridiculous to dismiss 10 years of creativity just like that. Take the 90s: the early years saw metal, grunge and acid house (even Phil Collins and Queen were still popular then!), moving on to indie and britpop in the mid 90s and ending the decade with pop. That's only scratching the surface but to dismiss so many genres so easily is a bit daft.

Back to the thread (:D), I'm not all that clued up on 50s music but I have huge amounts of material (live and studio) from the 60s. The earlier music is a bit too 'pop' for my liking but from about 1965 things changed for the better; coinciding with the Beatles (and plenty of other bands) taking massive amounts of drugs by the looks of it. Lately I've been listening to CSNY, Jefferson Airplane (not only was Grace Slick stunning back then but she had an incredible voice), the Doors, Cream, Led Zep, the Kinks... Later Beatles stuff is far better than their I-Wanna-Hold-Your-Hand guff, particularly Revolver, Abbey Road and "The White Album". And last but definitely not least, Syd and Pink Floyd. Although despite them playing around 200 gigs in 1967, live recordings of that era are rare, sadly.

On a slight tangent, does it piss anyone else off when auld folk assume you only listen to chart crap like Razorlight, Snow Patrol and the Killers just because you're in your 20s?
    In terms of '60s music there's so much of it I love but when it comes down to it, it's all about Dylan for me. I think I'm a bit blinkered by my all-encompassing love for Bringing It All Back Home and Blonde on Blonde

The only 50s music that springs to mind is The Everly Brothers, a very guilty pleasure :razz:
    dion - runaround sue
    :heart:
    Skive wrote:
    Ben E King - Stand By Me
    I am gonna :heart: this as well. I LOVE that song so much.

Other than that:

Led Zep (obviously)
    The Doors
    Cream
    The Beatles
    Bob Dylan :heart:

Yeh.
    Yeh Yeh - Georgie Fame
    We Gotta Get Out Of This Place - Animals
    Cream
    Beatles
    The animals - house of the rising sun
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Most Motown stuff - Drifters, Marvin Gaye etc.

Good stuff.
    I don't know how anyone can dismiss it as "not liking it"- there was more variety in this era than at any other time in musical history.

There's so much to choose from- Nina Simone, The Who, The Doors, The Kinks, Cream, Dylan, Beach Boys, Elvis, Cash, Marianna Faithful, The Beatles, The Stones, Pink Floyd, Mamas and the Papas...

Random songs that I :heart: include:

Jacques Brel - Ne Me Quitte Pas
    Nina Simone - See Line Woman
    The Who - I Can't Explain
    The Stones - Paint it Black; She's a Rainbow
    The Doors - Riders on the Storm
    Dylan - Desolation Row
    The Kinks - Days
    Marianne Faithfull - As Tears Go By; Sister Morphine
    Elvis - Suspicious Minds
    Barry McGuire - Eve of Destruction
    Mamas and the Papas - California Dreaming
    The Beatles - A Day in the Life
    OMG I can't believe I forgot Buddy Holly.

Who? :p
    Johnny Cash
    Bob Dylan
    13th Floor Elevators
    Country Joe & The Fish
    The Stooges
    There are many artist and tracks I could chose from. For now I will just go with this one.

The Kinks - Village Green Preservation Society
    Tim Buckley. Best. Voice. Ever. Oh and Hendrix, The Kinks, The Beach Boys (for about 10 minutes, then they grate a bit), Bob Dylan, The Velvet Underground and probably plenty more that I'm forgetting. I actually think that the late 60's and early 70's was the best era for music, personally. After rock lost the roll, but before punk ruined it all (no offence to punk fans, but Sex Pistols vs. Pink Floyd, there's just no contest).

And I like the Beatles, but I can't stand all the hype surrounding them. It's as if nothing new that anyone ever makes can possibly be as good or as influential, which is bullshit. They're like the music equivalent of Citizen Kane.
    I actually think that the late 60's and early 70's was the best era for music, personally.

1967 - 1977 :thumb:

From The Piper At the Gates Of Dawn to Animals, including Zep II, IV, Houses of the Holy, five nights at Earl's Court, The White Album, Abbey Road, Let It Be, Woodstock, Free Bird, Hendrix, Neil Young, Cream, Surrealistic Pillow and Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow. It is by far the best decade of music I reckon.

The only 'era' I have enjoyed as much (although it can't touch the late 60s/70s for impact/creativity etc.) is the mid 90s, when Pink Floyd showed how a live show should be done and Oasis took over the (music) world.
    chart crap like Razorlight

Excuse me?

Anything from Astral Weeks.
    Excuse me?

What's so hard to understand?

Anyhow - I listened to the Beatles 1 album on my BriPod when I got in last night, and I enjoyed it very much :yes:
    The Doors- Break on Through :)