Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Beauty treatments

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What do you do yourself/have a friend do and what do you have done at a salon?

Myself

Colour my hair
fake tan
pluck/dye eyebrows
dye eyeleashes
bikini line

Salon

Acrylic nails (housemate has her own business and kindly does them for free!

Friend

Said friend cuts my hair (I'm such a lucky girl!)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Myself:

Hair colour
    Eyebrow Pluck
    bikini line..
    legs, etc

salon:

hair cut.

can't afford anything else =P
    VinylVicky wrote:
    pluck/dye eyebrows

Can you buy eyebrow dye ? I used to be blonde till i was about 12, then it all went brown but my eyebrows have stayed blonde and even with a shaved head they look a bit weird. Was wondering if they'd look a bit better if i dyed them darker.
    Myself:

Colour my hair

pluck/dye eyebrows

bikini line

Salon:

cut my hair/highlights

also bikini line if i wanted it doing properly

Friend:

one of my mates has just set up her own little business after she did some courses at college so i might go to her in the future for leg wax or a manicure.
    Myself

Manicure,
    Pedicure,
    Shave,
    Veet,
    Pluck

Salon

Hair cut
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Can you buy eyebrow dye ? I used to be blonde till i was about 12, then it all went brown but my eyebrows have stayed blonde and even with a shaved head they look a bit weird. Was wondering if they'd look a bit better if i dyed them darker.
    Yeah it's the same stuff you use on your eyelashes. I'm naturally fair so need to use it as I colour my hair a plum colour. It ranges from between £3 and £8, depending on whether you go to somewhere like Savers or Boots.
    Careful not to dye your skin! Though it will come off wih scrubbing if you do. But I use either a cotton bud or the end of a hair grip and apply a little at a time. I find the applicator with it is not quite the right shape.
    It only takes between 5-10 mins to take.
    I get most treatments done at college if Iwant them, so salon, I get...

Facials
    Eyelash Tinting/Eyebrow Tinting
    Eyelash Perming
    Eyebrow shaping/waxing
    Bikini waxing
    Underarm waxing
    Leg waxing
    Manicure
    Pedicure
    Swedish Massage
    Aromatherapy

But at home, I also do my own nails, my own tinting, waxing, and I dye my own hair (unless mum's willing to pay for me to have it done at the hairdressers). My friend cuts my hair in salon, because she's an apprentace and I just go when she needs me :)
    We all had our eyebrows tinted yesterday in my makeup artistry course - I dunno why I didn't do them sooner they look great!!

I do my own plucking eyebrows/lip, manicures, bikini, pedicures, hair dyeing.

I have my legs waxed and hair cut professionally.
    I do my own plucking lip
    that must hurt
    We all had our eyebrows tinted yesterday in my makeup artistry course - I dunno why I didn't do them sooner they look great!!

Get them to do your eyelashes blue black. If you normally wear black mascara it means there's no need what so ever for it, they come out lovely and dark. There's normal black too, but it's nowhere near as dramatic. I love having my eyelashes tinted/permed. :) Might see if I can book in for them tomorrow actually :)
    nicx1811 wrote:
    Get them to do your eyelashes blue black. If you normally wear black mascara it means there's no need what so ever for it, they come out lovely and dark. There's normal black too, but it's nowhere near as dramatic. I love having my eyelashes tinted/permed. :) Might see if I can book in for them tomorrow actually :)
    I do my lashes but I still like to wear mascara to give them more lenght and volume

I may try a perm to see that though, so reduce having to wear mascara
    VinylVicky wrote:
    I do my lashes but I still like to wear mascara to give them more lenght and volume

A couple of girls I know do that, suppose it depends on your lashes. I hate mascara with a passion though :)
    Hair cutting- hairdresser (but not at a salon)

Everything else- myself
    Myself
    Hair dye (well my mam does it for me)
    Eyelash dying (been a while since I did it, I need to get some more dye.
    Eyebrow plucking
    Other hair removal

Salon
    hair cut
    nicx1811 wrote:
    We did eyelash tinting too and used blue black on everyone - I couldn't have it done though because I've got psoriasis on my eyelids. :no:
    We did eyelash tinting too and used blue black on everyone - I couldn't have it done though because I've got psoriasis on my eyelids. :no:

Ahhh I see. :)
    VinylVicky wrote:
    Yeah it's the same stuff you use on your eyelashes. I'm naturally fair so need to use it as I colour my hair a plum colour. It ranges from between £3 and £8, depending on whether you go to somewhere like Savers or Boots.
    Careful not to dye your skin! Though it will come off wih scrubbing if you do. But I use either a cotton bud or the end of a hair grip and apply a little at a time. I find the applicator with it is not quite the right shape.
    It only takes between 5-10 mins to take.

Ta Vick :)
    i get my hair highlighted and cut at a salon.

i do everything else myself - fake tan, shaving, eyebrows. i have naturally strong healthy nails so i just keep them filed with clear nail varnish.

im gona have a go at eyebrow/eyelash tinting though! never thought about it before.
    Salon: Hair cut, Colour, any form of waxing, eyebrows shaped

Me: I paint my own nails!!
    lipsy wrote:
    i have naturally strong healthy nails so i just keep them filed with clear nail varnish.
    you lucky girl
    Clear mascara is good on top of dyed eye-lashes.
    Randomgirl wrote:
    That's what I was going to say! Great minds think alike :thumb:
    Randomgirl wrote:

Thats what I do when mine are (properly) tinted, and I want them to look longer. :)
    I have to wear mascara as the ends and roots are blonde and they look really short without it.
    I like to give myself foot treatments. Soak them in my massaging heating foot tub with more massagers on the bottem (which I got for only $10 :thumb: ) Put in a rasberry fizzer, pummace, lotion, paint.

Nails are always done (not always looking great, just always done) I've yet to find a polish that doesn't chip the first time I take a shower. :mad:

My nails are my babies.

I wax myslef, eyebrows and naughty, have for probably 6 years now, used to get the eyebrows done back in the day but for $10 a pop when I can do it myself for $10 a year.

I do everything myself except cutting my hair.
    Myself:bikini line

how do you do this. Me and girl mates were talkin about it today - i dont really think its right for now might try it in future but for now am thinking of doing it myself - how do you do it? (wax/veet stuff - and what brand are good?)

Salon:
    Hair cut

me:
    nails
    Pluck eyebrows
    shave
    and err everything else
    jenni30 wrote:
    how do you do this. Me and girl mates were talkin about it today - i dont really think its right for now might try it in future but for now am thinking of doing it myself - how do you do it? (wax/veet stuff - and what brand are good?)

If you want to do it, just put the wax on, stick on a strip and there's no turning back ;) Once you get it on theres only one way its coming back off; it doesn't matter if you go slow or not, the hair shall follow. (at least with my wax, others may be weaker) Though, like a bandaid, fast is the way to do it.
    i do everythin myself except for my hair :)
    I do everything myself, including my hair due to my pathological fear of hairdressers. Occasionally my fella plucks my eyebrows, it's a bonding experience :)
    I get my eyebrows shaped and waxed by a lady who does it at home, only costs £3 so i would rather pay someone else to do it than the pain i get when i try myself lol.
    I also get my hair done by a salon although soon to be mobile hairdressed.
    Everything else i do myself.
    I do everything myself apart from cut/colour my hair. But I've used the same hairdresser for years and she really cheap so I dont mind the trek to get to her salon. I do occassionaly trim my fringe if I've left it too long between cuts.