Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Feel guilty at leaving...help!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right, this could take some time so please bear with me! Basically about 3 months ago i started working as a carer because eventually i want to be a probation officer and people told me that this would be good experience. When i went for my interview i told them that being a carer was something i had always wanted to do just to ensure i got the job. Thing is i have recently been going through the application process to be a prison officer as this is clearly better experience to have to be a probation officer plus it is something i actually want to do! Last week i passed the final stage and now am just waiting to be assinged to a prison (however this could take between 2 and 18 months.) I cannot face the thought of staying in my current job for a possible 18 months and therefore i want to quit and do something temporary like waitressing. I really do not enjoy my current job and the thought of spending even just another week there makes me want to quit even with no other job to go to.

My problem is that because i work for a individual and not in a care home i feel really guilty at leaving. My clients parents are always saying how they think the carers they have for their child now are brilliant and will be here for years and that it is so hard to keep people and for them to sustain a relationsip with their child, so for me to turn round and say i hate my job and im leaving (especially after saying at interview this is virtually a lifetime ambition) makes me feel awful.

So what do you think do i tell the truth for why i want to leave or do i make something up along the lines of im moving house and the drive will be far too long and impractical and therefore i am being forced to find something more local?? (i think this could work as i have already mentioned that me and my fiance are looking to move in together soon)

PLEASE give me your opinions/ideas because i CANNOT keep working there and yet at the same time cant bring myself to quit!!! HELP!!!!:crazyeyes :( :nervous:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would tell the truth, but I wouldn't go so far as to tell them you lied in the interview; instead I'd tell them that being a carer isn't living up to your expectations and just isn't the right career choice for you. The sooner you do it the better, so you won't leave the family in the lurch if you get assigned to a prison quickly and have to leave without giving them any warning.
    Tell them youve loved working for them, and it makes you sad to leave, but a wonderful opportunity has arisen for you that you cant turn down. send them a soppy letter and a bunch of flowers with your resignation and maybe feign a few tears.
    The skip down the road and dont look back.
    thanx 4 your replies, you're right i was quite stressed out when i wrote that the other day and i have cleared my head abit now and will just do the sensible thing as you have suggested! Cheers!
    At the end of the day its your life. You have to do whats best for YOU.

Whatever happens life goes on and people will manage without you.

But remeber to put yourself first!

:thumb:
    Okay so i have decided to leave my resignation letter along with cards saying sorry for the other staff at work when i leave tommorrow morning! I know thats not a great thing to do but i dont need a reference and i cant find it in me to tell them face to face! Ive written proper reasons and been dead nice and everything so it will work out better than if i tried to say it to their face! I know go on go on, call me a chicken!!!! lol Oh and i know its really not advisable to quit with no job to go too but needs must and i really NEED to leave!! :crazyeyes

Been looking for other jobs..........i forgot how annoying job hunting is!!
    Ok so i quit this morning! wow it feels like the biggest weight has been lifted ever! No one has rang me yet stessing- dunno if thats a good thing or not!! wooo though im so happy!!!:wave: