Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Is it too much?

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey...

I used to drink a lot, use solvents and smoke pot to deal with stress, I found it work at the time but it doesn't deal with obsticles in the long term.

Alcohol is a depressent, so it won't make you feel any better.. Or at least if I'm in a bad mood and drink it ain't good. Personally, when I get stressed I exercise (it releases endorphines), or write or take pictures or watch a film or think about things I love... Like my friends, family and pets.

I was on Fluoxitine for a few years, it does take time. Drinking with it will magnify the effect of alcohol though, so your tolerence will be lower and you'll end up ratted. Your brain is an organ just like your liver and heart, you need to take care of it for it to function properly.

I also find that mindfulness exercises work and meditation.
  • +Kirsten++Kirsten+ Deactivated Posts: 49 Boards Initiate
    Hi Jordy

That's great to hear you're checking things out with your GP.

As promised by another poster, TheSite has some information on keeping tabs on your alcohol intake and overcoming a drink problem.

Take care!
    Kirsten
    Alcohol is a depressent, so it won't make you feel any better...

It is not called a depressant because it effects peoples mood.
    budda wrote:
    Alcohol is not called a depressant because it makes you feel bad!

I didn't say it did!!! I said that if you've 'blocked' out emtions that what you really think and feel can come out when you're drunk!
    I didn't say it did!!! I said that if you've 'blocked' out emtions that what you really think and feel can come out when you're drunk!

Yes, but you said it did this because it is a depressant, but thats not the reason at all, its because of its effect on the hipo campus (I think). Just lowering your heart rate isnt going to give you better access to your emotions.
    I think you should give councilling a try, after all the tablets or booze don't fix the problem. Tablets just make you more able to cope.

Councilling worked for me the seond time around not the first as i wasn't ready to talk.
    Hey tweety.

I went to my doctors yesterday and told him that the tablets were doing no good. He's keeping me on them, and the same dosage for another month and if theres no improvement he's going to up them.

He's also put me on the referral list for counselling. I dont feel ready to talk yet, but he said it should be two to three months before an appointmen comes through. Hopefully by then i might be ready. He's a little bit more pushy than my last doctor, but i think thats what i need.
    Sounds like that's an improvement. What's your drinking like?
    Glad to see you went back, go see the councillor when you get an apointment, give it a few sessions to see if its for you.
    Erm, my drinkings been quite good.

Monday: 3 pints
    Tuesday: 1 and a half pints, 3 double vodkas, 1 single vodka, 2 shots
    Yesterday: 1 glass of wine

Its slowed down a lot. I never told my doctor about my drinking, as i think thats something i can sort myself
    Thanks tweety,

I'll try. Things cant get much worse, so the only way is up!
    Just to say though that you are still drinking far too much though.
    jordy wrote:
    Erm, my drinkings been quite good.

Its slowed down a lot. I never told my doctor about my drinking, as i think thats something i can sort myself
    Clearly not.

Try going t-total for a month. You should be able to do that without any problems, unless you've become dependant. You really should have told your doctor too.
    budda wrote:
    Using any drug to 'block out' or 'forget' your problems is a quick way to developing a problem.

Unless you plan to continue drinking this way till all your problems disapear (you'll be an alcoholic before this happens) then you need to slow down and deal with the reasons.

If you continued this drinking in as little as five years you could be a full blown alcoholic, chemically addicted to it.
    This is very true. After a few years on so called "hard drugs" he was able to "forget" his problems, debts etc etc...now he is in a hospital because he has had a nervous breakdown, the recovery process will take about 4 years they say.

To be honest it sounds like you need some good friends, who can get you out and about not boozing it up and able to talk crap to.

It also sounds like you have some deep issues about a lot of stuff which are all bubbling to the top.

..and also not being strong enough to talk to someone. You made it here and you can see yourself potentially having a problem, so this is a massive step to recovery.

Keep that chin up. We are all here and wanting to help :)
    jordy wrote:

Monday = between 6 and 9 units depending on what you were drinking

Tuesday = 3 + 6-8 + 1-1.5 + 2 = 12 minimum

Wednesday = about 2

So in three days you had 20 units or so which is above your weekly recommended.
    Thats fair enough, but its far less than what i was on!

If i can cut it down that much in a few days, surely i can cut it down even further?

It is hard because my friends all go out clubbing and things and ask me to come along, so im usually out 4 times a week. I don't like saying no, because its getting me out and im not stuck in my room thinking about things and going over them repeatedly in my head.
    Hmm, join a sports club ?
    jordy wrote:
    It is hard because my friends all go out clubbing and things and ask me to come along, so im usually out 4 times a week. I don't like saying no, because its getting me out and im not stuck in my room thinking about things and going over them repeatedly in my head.

And that's fine, but why drink doubles when you could have had a single and a mixer, for example.

I think you know the drinking isnt doing you any good, otherwise why mention it.
    You can go out and not drink, and if you can't don't go out. I really do strongly recommend seeing how hard it is for you to go t-total.
    If i was alone, i don't think it would be too hard. But i get tempted so easily when friends ask me if i want to go out.
    Well done for cutting down that much, it's a really good start! :thumb:

Things to try when you're out are J2Os (lots of the time people don't notice they're not alcopops), sparkling water with (or without cordial), and getting loads of ice so that any drink you do have lasts longer.
    Thanks scary monster, i appreciate the advice.

Im off out tonite i think, so i'l try cutting down.
    jordy wrote:
    If i was alone, i don't think it would be too hard. But i get tempted so easily when friends ask me if i want to go out.
    Then maybe tell your mates that you're trying to avoid things.

Seriously if you can't do it. You've got a problem
    Hey guys,

I took your advice onboard and decided not to go out last night. Instead i stayed in and had an early nite. I felt really bad half way through the night though, as things were getting on top of me, and so i spoke to an online advisor. It really helped and i felt much better for it afterwards. I haven't had a drop to drink today either, and im at work all day tommorrow and sunday, so i wont be drinking then either!

Thanks for all your help. ;)
    Keep up the good work :)
    :thumb: