Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Bank Accounts

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've only got a current account @ the moment which doesn't offer great interest(0.1%).

Which bank currently offers the best deal on a current account?

Also, I have a tidy amount left over each month so i'm thinking that some form of savings account might be a good idea aswell. The kind of savings account i'd be after is one with a decent interest rate but also lets me access my money without stinging me by denying interest after a withdrawal.

Any ideas on a savings account that does the above?

Many thanks for any help:)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's really really important to save every month for emergencies and start a pension as early as possible. So I really recommend you making an effort to put away a certain amount of cash every month. But try and put a set amount away at the start than wait to see what you've got left at the end.
    I've just opened a mini cash ISA with NS&I. It's not based on stocks and shares, so there is no risk, it's tax free, high interest and you can put up to £3000 a year into it.:thumb:

NS&I Clicky
    I've got a Nationwide current account with e-savings.

Nationwide have always been fantastic, far more helpful than any other bank I have had dealings with. E-Savings is run off your current account, you get ~5% interest instant access online through your current account (ie you transfer the money between the accounts online and then use your current account to spend the money). They also have e bonds that work in a similar way but there is a penalty on those if you take money out early.

I know with Nationwide you can go in and one of their people will explain everything to you and all the options (obv for their accounts) and what would be best for you. I found it to be very helpful.