Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Halloween too scary?

Story

Though I'm rather ambivolent to large parts of this article's message, the things that struck me as particularly retarded are the following excerpts:
The Rt Rev David Gillett, the Bishop of Bolton, says the "more horrific" of masks prove too scary for many children. With the Mothers' Union - a Christian parenting group - Bishop Gillett is backing a campaign called Halloween Choice to promote the lighter side of the festival.

Well the first thing that struck me was
i) Halloween is a pagan festival - what has the Church or Christianity got to do with it?
ii) The point is that there is no lighter side of the festival! It's about evil spirits and whatnot knocking about!

But this one was the best line in the whole thing
Bishop Gillett wants a shift away from horror character masks, like Hannibal Lecter, towards the Christian celebration of good over evil.

Hasn't quite grasped it has he? Let's put a Muslim spin on Yom Kippur! Let's put a Hindu spin on Ramadam! What a fucking moron. No wonder Church congregations are down with fools like this spouting some unintelligeble nonsense from the pulpit.

Thoughts?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They're probably still pissed off about everyone fucking over Christmas and Easter, so they thought they'd get their own back. My opinion? People can wear whatever they want for Halloween, and the shops stock the things that people buy most. And that happens to be scary masks and fake blood. In America, they seem to wear just any old costume (admittedly I'm basing this on what I've seen on TV). I prefer the scary side of it, and it seems that everyone else does too.
  • Options
    The only thing scary about Halloween is when that unstoppable killer Michael Myers in his painted white William Shatner mask and blue overalls comes after you with a large kitchen knife.
  • Options
    Putting a christian spin on halloween!?? :lol:

Now if we tried to put a christian spin on a muslim/jewish etc celebration all hell would break loose

so why does it seem ok to do it to pagans?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    so why does it seem ok to do it to pagans?

Because they're basically defunct as a religion/grouping.

Lots of things are pagan based and Christains just put a spin on it, Christmas for one.

I heard a story a few years back, not sure if what I'm saying is exactly what the man told me but apparently Pagans used to go around houses with dead red robins as some ritual, Christains then said that the robin is red because when Jesus was on the cross a robin tried to eat the nails out and the blood spilled on it's chest, hence the symbolism of the red robin so that ritual shouldn't be practiced anymore. Pretty catchy eh?
  • Options
    idiotic. not being a religious historian, this might be rubbish, but I had read that halloween was created by the christian church to mock a pagan celebration on the same date... (actually, that might have been xmas... I dont remember :lol: )

still, it's silly, nothing to do with the christian church and quite frankly none of their buisiness!
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Twunt.

A festival based on evil spirits... scary? NO SHIT!

Next they'll want to make horror movies unscary.
  • Options
    it's only 1 night a year....if he doesn't like it then he can shut himself in his house for the night and read the bible
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Next they'll want to make horror movies unscary.
    Come on, they've been trying to do that for ages by getting all of the scary bits cut out.
  • Options
    Come on, they've been trying to do that for ages by getting all of the scary bits cut out.

True, edited films piss me off so! Same with books and games... taking bits out... just doesn't help anyone.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    True, edited films piss me off so! Same with books and games... taking bits out... just doesn't help anyone.
    I can't believe they're still doing it to be honest (not Christians, just censors in general). They shouldn't be allowed to touch any film whatsoever. If they really do have a negative effect on those who watch them, then film censors must be some of the most dangerous people in the world. Although the BBC's dodgy dialogue changes of the 80's are quite amusing.
  • Options
    I can't believe they're still doing it to be honest (not Christians, just censors in general). They shouldn't be allowed to touch any film whatsoever. If they really do have a negative effect on those who watch them, then film censors must be some of the most dangerous people in the world. Although the BBC's dodgy dialogue changes of the 80's are quite amusing.

Haha :D TBH, censorship if a pointless afair, as it just drives to people to think "Whats IN that if its so bad? I must get it!"