Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Not coping with uni

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm in my 3rd year of my degree and its all going a bit tits up. I feel like I can't cope with all the work, and I have a presentation in 2 weeks and I suffer the worst stage fright to the point where when I have to stand in front of a load of people my vision blurrs over and my face feels like its twice its size and I can't talk. I feel like I'm dead inside, I can't sleep at night and wake up in the early hours of the morning but when it comes to morning I can't wake up and sleep til 11 or 12. In the day i usually fall asleep at about 6 o clock and all day I feel exhausted. I can't concentrate on uni work and I don't feel like I want to go out or see anyone. I saw my doctor a while back and they changed me from 20mg to 30mg of citalopram but it didn't make me feel so good so I went back down to 20. If I see my doctor about this all they'll do is up my dose again.

Should I talk to someone at uni about this? As if so, who?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    you need to speak to your doctor again and tell them that increasing the dose didn't work.
    you also need to speak to your personal tutor and be really honest about your problems and your fears. its affecting your work so you need help with coping and adivce on how to handle it all.
  • Options
    I don't think I have a personal tutor
  • Options
    Your student union is designed to look after the welfare of the students and thus have a pastoral obligation towards you. Find out who the student welfare officer is and go and talk to him/her. If they can't help you, they will have information on people who you can talk to. Just about all unis operate some sort of anonymous help service for people with problems and I'm sure your uni is no different so go along to the union and see what they say. It won't do any harm but if things really are as bad as you say they are, have you thought about taking a hiatus for a year?
  • Options
    I have thought about deffering but I really don't want to, I want to stay in the same year as my friends and graduate with them :( if i go to the student support centre who should I ask to see?
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    I don't think I have a personal tutor
    go to your department and ask then. if you don't (which is highly unlikely) ask who you should speak to about problems with your course. there will be a support network in place because a lot of students find uni stressful -especially in final year.
  • Options
    Anyone at the student support centre, briefly outline your problems and they will put you in touch with the right person.
  • Options
    Speak to your doctor and see if he/she can prescribe you a beta-blocker for your presentation. It won't help in the long-run, but it will help with the physiological side of things so you'll be able to get through it.

As others have said, speak to the uni, they will be able to help, the welfare officer or a tutor.
  • Options
    any uni in its right mind has both a student welfare officer (ask at the union) and a retention officer (they want your money so its in their interest for you to stay) i wouldn't defer a year since you will possibly have the same problems next year, plus most of your friends will be gone. go to speak to the union, usually pretty helpful.