Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Satilite Navigation

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
can't you fucking norks think for yourselves and read maps. do you facking need a computer to give you directions. i have expcetional directional spacial awarenes and i have no need to travel the world with Sat nav in my ford fiesta. why why why. sat nav. jeesus what next, wireless personality - get your personality ANYWHERE from MY database.

Comments

• Options
    Wow, you really are an arse :P.

What difference does it make if i use sat nav or have to pull over every 5 minutes to check a map when i'm somewhere i don't know. It's only jerks who blindly follow the gps and end up going over a cliff who need to be slapped.
  • Options
    yeh falling over a cliff has to be err the most amusing aspect of all this.
  • Options
    This week prize for coming across as a self centred arrogant arse goes to.....

I have maps in my car, and I use maps, but if I'm going on a journey I don't know by myself I'll use the satnav kit at home. Far safer than me peering over at a map.
  • Options
    can't you fucking norks think for yourselves and read maps. do you facking need a computer to give you directions. i have expcetional directional spacial awarenes and i have no need to travel the world with Sat nav in my ford fiesta. why why why. sat nav. jeesus what next, wireless personality - get your personality ANYWHERE from MY database.
    Cry me a river. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I much prefer using maps when I'm driving, they rest so easily against the windscreen. Especially at 80 down the M6.

Seriously, I prefer looking at maps and deciding myself what the best way to go is. The TomToms always seem to send me in stupid directions (case in point being the satnavs don't recognise the shiny dual carriageway into town, and send people miles out of the way)
  • Options
    I fucking hate them whats the bloody point surely anyone can read and memorise a map and directions - or maybe its just because i have an amazing sense of direction i dont' tollerate other peoples complete lack of ability to navigate themselves anywhere.

I had to drive my dad's car with it on the other day and bloody annoyed me especially when he kept on insisting i drive faster because the road was straight even though i couldn't see it.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    The road angel I had was incredibly useful when I was driving round the London City. Far better and safer than having an A-Z on your lap.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I love Sat Nav - it's my most useful gadget.

No idea where the original poster lives BUT in London the roads can be well complex, and it's far safer then trying to read a map on your own in a moving car.
  • Options
    i take pride in the fact i'm very good a reading a map :razz:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    otter wrote:
    i take pride in the fact i'm very good a reading a map :razz:

I can read a map too. Try reading one however, whilst driving through central London.

Sat Nav is safer and quicker than reading a map on the move.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The TomToms always seem to send me in stupid directions (case in point being the satnavs don't recognise the shiny dual carriageway into town, and send people miles out of the way)

Unless it was printed very recently, you get that problem with maps not pointing out shiny dual carriageways either ...
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    IThe TomToms always seem to send me in stupid directions (case in point being the satnavs don't recognise the shiny dual carriageway into town, and send people miles out of the way)

A friends' boyfriend took me to a gig last week in Wolves - it kept on telling us to either go the wrong way or take turns we couldn't take for one reason or another.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    A friends' boyfriend took me to a gig last week in Wolves - it kept on telling us to either go the wrong way or take turns we couldn't take for one reason or another.:rolleyes:

They're not perfect, but they're a lot better then being without, you need to use a certain amount of common sense and see that the places it's telling you to go are appropriate but they will get better especially once Europe launches it's own sat nav system and we don't have to rely on the 20 year old American GPS system.

I've used Sat Nav to get me from London to Wales, and it's not the main places that hard to get to - it's the tiny back streets, etc that you'd never know about.

I've used Sat Nav in times when my usual route has been closed off and it's gotten me home through winding streets I never knew existed.
  • Options
    The "problems" with sat nav are not really the technology but the users. People use them to travel major routes, which could be navigated with ease, and complain when they are diverted through a small village with a ford. Well, you shouldn't be such a dumbass to go down a single-track dirt road when you're trying to go from London to Cardiff then aye?

I would expect that one would be very useful for inner-city streets and the like, where there are sometimes hardly any decent signposts and it's too crowded and busy to use a map safely.