Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Jobs under 16...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm 15, and have an acquaintance at school (he's far from a friend), who claims to have a job at Tescos (British and other countries equivilent of Walmart) and he's also 15. I was always led to believe you had to be 16 to get a job at Tescos or any other store.

Can you get a job at Tesco at 15 or is talking out of his ass?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I suspect he's talking out of his ass, but i'm no expert.
    I always heard that you can work at Sainsbury's from the age of 15 and a half? dunno if that's true or not.

if you want a job, get a paper round?
    Yeah, I heard Sainsbury's employ from 15, too. Also, I tried to get a paper round, but I live in the countryside, 6 miles from the nearest town - it was impractical.
    we know what tesco is....most of us are in fact british :p

it depends on the store...most are 16 though unfortunatly. You'll just have to wait. Until you're 16 they can pay you what they like to, which will probably be crap anyway.

Oh and wrong forum too btw
    Slave?
    he is talking out his arse cz i asked in there the other day as i am also 15 and desperate for a job and u do have to be 16
    Some places like Tesco will take under 18s/16s as things like shelf stackers or cleaners, but not necessarily for till work or things like that.
    My S.O works in a pub and most (if not all) of the waiting staff are between 15-17. Their wages are shit because they are too young for minimum wage. So yeah Tescos employing a kid doesn't suprise me much. I should imagine he's being expolited though.
    when i was 15 i always wanted a job but Tesco and places similar always said 16+ so the only job i could get was a paperround (which i did because it paid quite well and didn't wreck your weekend) but i think the guy is probably lying unless he lied about his age to the store.
    Or maybe he's not, as has been said some stores that need staff take under 16s.
    I worked at Sainsbury's at 15.

I was doing stock replenishment and I was also till trained so I could be moved onto check-outs during busy times of day.

It is up to the individual store wheather they employ 15 year olds or not. The rules are quite complicated and restrictive for the supermarket though so many prefer not to bother with 15 year olds. But they do in areas with very low umemployment levels like where I grew up.
    Im New As I Searched On Google For Young People Jobs Im 14 And Want A Job And I Got Turned Down His Talking Out Of His Ass Coz When I Went Looking For A Job And I Tried Lying Saying I Was 16 They Asked For My National Insurance Number And You Dont Get That Till Your 16..You Have To Have Your National Insurance Number With You Because Summin Like You Work With Cards And Crap But I Didnt Understand!!
    xx

Considering this thread's nearly a year old, I'd imagine the OP is now 16 and got his N.I. Number.

Posting in purple ? Nasty.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Yep gonna close this - feel free to start a new thread miishkaa.
This discussion has been closed.