Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Christmas Temp Wages

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm not asking for exact amounts or anything... just a general idea of what's the norm (though if anyone knew exactly it'd be ace... ;))

Basically, I've got a Christmas Temp job with Boots. It's just 6 weeks work, but I've been trying to work out what I'll earn approximately, because I have my cars tax and MOT just after christmas :)

The work doesn't start til December, so I'll be 18 by then, but I'm guessing it'd just be mnimum wage I'm on? This is what I did my basic calculations with, but a friend or two said I might be a little bit higher than minimum wage, and Google returns nothing useful as of yet! :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    At the age of 16 working in argos, I was on £3 p/h. :mad:

At the age of 18 I think its around £4 p/h.
    18+ and the minimum wage is £4.45.
    HIT wrote:

At the age of 18 I think its around £4 p/h.

Somewhere between £4.25 to £4.85 (can't remember what it's gone up to or when)
    I know the minimum wage, just wondering what peoples general experiences are with Christmas staff. Cheers though :)
    i was a christmas temp at WH Smiths when i was 16, i was on the same pay as everyone else.

£4.90/ hour +75p local area (living in london)

so i was on 5.65
    well you'll get paid the same as any other new starter won't you?? regardless of whether they're temporary or permanent.
    Minimum wage, really. Certainly in retail- that's roughly what I got when I worked at Tesco. When I worked at Royal Mail it was minimum wage, but I got a 25% enhancement for working nights.
    well you'll get paid the same as any other new starter won't you?? regardless of whether they're temporary or permanent.

No idea, some people have been telling me they pay Xmas staff less, some say more. I say minimum wage, but am still searching for a general idea.
    I know places like Tesco pay the same as a normal new starter, but not all shops do the same.

For retail you're looking at about £5ph-£6ph, maybe £6ph for Royal Mail.
    Im not sure if you use the same wage system for part time holiday staff. Atleast thats what I was told.
    Kermit wrote:
    I know places like Tesco pay the same as a normal new starter, but not all shops do the same.

For retail you're looking at about £5ph-£6ph, maybe £6ph for Royal Mail.
    Royal mail are paying there christmas helpers £300-400 p/w. Its something like 5:30am - 12pm.

Pretty good if you ask me.
    £300pw is about £7ph, which isn't bad for temping. If you're in the sorting office its a shit job though; working for MDEC is a bit better, at least you get to sit down.

I pulled in about £300pw when I worked nights for Royal Mail MDEC. Paid for Christmas, and it meant I got to work in Sunderland (16 miles away) in 11 minutes:D
    When I worked for Boots (good god, it was 10 years ago :( ), the pay was very slightly above minimum wage. Nowt spectacular, but not a bad job at all.

:)
    kaffrin wrote:
    When I worked for Boots (good god, it was 10 years ago :( ), the pay was very slightly above minimum wage. Nowt spectacular, but not a bad job at all.

:)

No I couldn't imagine it was a bad job when I went for the inerview. Nothing great but everyone seemed nice enough.

Shame it's only 4 hours a week though, but never mind, beggars can't be choosers! :)
    I worked for 6 weeks as a Christmas temp at Next last year. I got £4.95 an hour, but worked sundays and some bank holidays and stuff, so I ended up getting a bit more. I didn't pay tax either because I hadn't worked previously cos I was still at college... I don't know about your situation but maybe you won't either?

Even though you're only contracted for 4 hours, you might be able to get some overtime if you want it, especially in the week before christmas and when the sale starts, so if you want more hours let them know when you're available and hopefully you'll be able to get some more.
    Asda as always begging for people and they now pay under 18s the same as over 18s
    I had a xmas temp job last xmas - I was paid £5 an hour and double time for boxing day/new years. I worked in a posh shoe shop.
    As temporary staff you're still entitled to minimum wage, Boots will probably pay you ever so slightly over that but then you'll get stung for NI so if you work it out on minimum wage you'll be about right.
    nicx1811 wrote:
    No I couldn't imagine it was a bad job when I went for the inerview. Nothing great but everyone seemed nice enough.

Shame it's only 4 hours a week though, but never mind, beggars can't be choosers! :)

Believe me, in retail if you want overtime, you'll get OVER overtime. Especially at Christmas.
    Especially if you get a reputation for being hard working and reliable.
    Jazza wrote:
    Believe me, in retail if you want overtime, you'll get OVER overtime. Especially at Christmas.

That's what my mum said, so I'm hoping that's true for me, as I'm skint. She also said they were keeping up to 20 of the workers on after christmas due to people leaving recently. (There's 40 jobs going for Christmas) so am going to work especially hard for that reason (because I'm too lazy to apply everywhere again after Christmas :D)

I have applied at ASDA btw Tweety, and I went for the group interview and they've never got back to me :grump: My mate who works there is going to look into it for me but she thinks I'll have a better chance in a couple of weeks (when I'm 18) because our ASDA's been all done up and theres checkout jobs going.
    I didn't pay tax either because I hadn't worked previously cos I was still at college... I don't know about your situation but maybe you won't either?

I'm in college too, so if I do pay any tax I can claim it back, went through all that with my last job :) I know all that procedure so it's not so much of a stress :)
    nicx1811 wrote:
    TI have applied at ASDA btw Tweety, and I went for the group interview and they've never got back to me :grump: My mate who works there is going to look into it for me but she thinks I'll have a better chance in a couple of weeks (when I'm 18) because our ASDA's been all done up and theres checkout jobs going.

How long ago was that? They are a bit slow on the uptake sometimes. I would phone them and ask them if i was you as even if you didn't get it you will get feedback.
    I hadn't heard after mine either but i got invited back for the one on one and got the job.
    When I temped over Christmas in 2004-2005 at Next it was £6.60 per hour I think but that was in London so it's more than the national average.