Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Multiple Dating

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What do people think of this?

I recently met 2 guys and i have been out on a couple of dates with them so far with plans to see them again. obviously they don't know about each other and i have no idea if they are just seeing me or not.
is it wrong to date more than one person? its pretty common in USA but all my mates have laughed and jokingly called me a hussy etc.
at what point should things be exclusive? when you both have 'the talk' or when you start sleeping together?

im totally captivated by guy number 1 - he is stunning. i still fancy guy number 2 but in a way im leading him on because hes not my favourite, more like a back-up plan.
i just dont know whether im in the wrong here or not.

Comments

• Options
    lipsy wrote:
    What do people think of this?

I recently met 2 guys and i have been out on a couple of dates with them so far with plans to see them again. obviously they don't know about each other and i have no idea if they are just seeing me or not.
    is it wrong to date more than one person? its pretty common in USA but all my mates have laughed and jokingly called me a hussy etc.
    at what point should things be exclusive? when you both have 'the talk' or when you start sleeping together?

im totally captivated by guy number 1 - he is stunning. i still fancy guy number 2 but in a way im leading him on because hes not my favourite, more like a back-up plan.
    i just dont know whether im in the wrong here or not.
    IMHO yes it is wrong. What happens if one becomes to attached to you? He would be heart broken.
  • Options
    I don't think you need to be exclusive in the early stages of dating, but I do think you need to be a bit honest with the people you are dating. If you have no interest in one of them (as it seems you don't with boy 2) I don't think its such a good idea to keep leading him on. He may well think the same of you and be happy with an occasional shag if neither of you have anything better to do, but it would be a good idea to lay down some boundaries.

I don't think you're wrong to not be exclusive, but just be careful you don't piss about with other people's feelings.
  • Options
    I think as long as you don't make any false promises and they are aware that you are just having dates to see if you like each other and before you have sex (unless they know it's casual, then you are fine.

I regularly date numerous guys, when I start to get feelings for someone that's when I cut it with the others.

I had a lot of shit with one guy I went on a date with once, he stalked me for ages and ages and he ended up getting his sister to try and beat me up!
    All because he thought a date meant you are a full on item.
    So best to be honest!
  • Options
    I think if you meet someone (or two ones) you like you have a period of a few weeks where you can be seeing them a couple of times a week without any assumption of exclusivity. If you like them enough and see potential for a relationship then you probably won't be seeing other people too, but as you said there's a sort of feeling of needing to keep a back-up, which I understand. Regardless, I think that after a few weeks or a month of seeing each other there needs to be some kind of decision at least in your own mind, even if you don't have "the talk". If I was seeing someone for a couple of weeks and we then decided to be exclusive then I wouldn't be hurt or offended if they'd been seeing other people during that time, as I know it takes a damn long time to know enough about someone to be able to judge them and see if any/either of them are relationship material. However, there are people who would consider that cheating, so this is where it all gets blurry. It does seem commonplace that in the US it's a given that until you have a conversation about being an exclusive couple that nothing is assumed, whereas relationships here often seem to start out on assumptions, which is why it's important to be straight with people... and more importantly, yourself.

Another thing I think it depends on is how "relationshippy" the dating is, really. If dating/seeing these blokes means you're spending time/the night at their house and behaving as a couple, well, I think assumptions could be made on their part. But if it's nights out, going for a drink etc then it's not so clear-cut. Either way, it's definitely good to talk about it and get it out in the open.
  • Options
    when i've seen people in the past i've often gone out and pulled someone else and not thought anything of it. i think its because im going on regular dates that im wondering whether its wrong. i have a feeling if guy 2 knew he wouldn't be pleased, he seems quite relationshippy.
  • Options
    I thought you had a boyfriend :confused:
  • Options
    I thought you had a boyfriend :confused:
    i dumped him about 6 weeks ago
  • Options
    Sod it

I say go for it girly...

Simply put, until you have a commitment to either of them, you don't owe them anything.

Have your fun.

I think the only thing you have to take into account is that if the 2nd guy is relationshippy, try getting the point over that it's not what you're looking for.

2 dates hardly constitutes anything serious though and if he get's weird after 2 dates, you're probably better off not bothering with him!

G.
  • Options
    Would you like to be someone's 'back up plan'?
  • Options
    well no. i do like the 2nd guy and im looking forward to seeing him tonight. i just fancy the first guy more.

well i guess then everyone is going to see this situation differently, some think im being unfair and some think its fair game. i'll just see what happens.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    Would you like to be someone's 'back up plan'?
    I wouldn't but I'm sure I have been and I've had back ups before. You can't help it if you like someone but like someone else a bit more. As long as you let them know that it is just dating and don't let them think it's anything more before it actually is, then I don't see the problem!
  • Options
    If a guys not good enough to be anything more than a backup, then why even bother with him? Go out with the one you really like, then if it doesn't work out, wait 'til you find someone who's just as good, rather than going out with someone who's just okay. For a start, having a backup makes you sound like you need to have a boyfriend.

But to answer the question, I don't think it's wrong. But it's probably a good idea to imagine that each of them has another girl on the go, just to see how you'd feel about it. If you want to keep it up, it might be a good idea to set some boundaries so that the blokes can make up their own mind. You don't have to go so far as to say that you're seeing someone else. You can just hint at your feelings about relationships in a conversation, and it should be pretty easy to tell whether he has the same values as you with regards to exclusivity. If it turns out he doesn't then there's no need to embarrass him, just break it off, or stop seeing the other one. But remember it can't be one rule for you and another for him.
  • Options
    If a guys not good enough to be anything more than a backup, then why even bother with him? Go out with the one you really like, then if it doesn't work out, wait 'til you find someone who's just as good, rather than going out with someone who's just okay. For a start, having a backup makes you sound like you need to have a boyfriend.
    i've already said i like him, just not as much as the 1st guy. if the 1st guy wasn't around, i would still be seeing the other guy.
  • Options
    Who do you get on better with babe?

I always find whenever someone becomes my bf, I always think they are better looking than anyone else anyway!
  • Options
    well its still early days, i dont know if either of them will become my boyfriend yet. the general consensus is that as long as im open about things then im not doing anything wrong. i think when things get more serious i.e. sex then i will break up with one of them. i hate that though, i always feel mean!
  • Options
    I'm guessing they don't know each other?

Cause if they did then I'm pretty sure it'd end in tears one way or another.

If not then it's cool as long as you know where to draw the line.
  • Options
    I've never been an advocate of multi-person dating. The way I see it, I either like them and want to know more, or I don't. If I don't, then I tell them.

If I found out I was a back-up, then I'd fuck off. It's different if everyone knows what is going on, but as you've said in your original post that they don't know about each other, I think you're doing wrong here.
  • Options
    I've never been an advocate of multi-person dating. The way I see it, I either like them and want to know more, or I don't. If I don't, then I tell them.
    but what do you do if someone's asks you out for a drink, say next week, a couple of days after agreeing. someone else asks you out for a drink and you think they are both nice?
  • Options
    Then fine. It's only a drink. But we tend to know after one or two hours of talking which person we prefer, and which one we're not that fussed about. So taking things on after that one drink with more than one person is wrong, IMO.

But hey, I know I'm in the minority with my views. I just treat people like I'd hope to be treated myself. :)
  • Options

Exactly. I think if its more than a few dates then keeping them both on is out of order, and frankly a little strange.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    Exactly. I think if its more than a few dates then keeping them both on is out of order, and frankly a little strange.
    well its only been 2 dates and very innocent ones at that.

how is it strange?? loads of lads have more than one girl on the go. so i've been asked out by 2 guys i liked and accepted. its not strange at all.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    well its only been 2 dates and very innocent ones at that.

how is it strange?? loads of lads have more than one girl on the go. so i've been asked out by 2 guys i liked and accepted. its not strange at all.

I find the idea of anyone dating more than one person strange, that's just my view, if you're going to have a relationship then surely you need to invest emotions and time into it, I cant imagine being able to do this with multipule people. And yes 'loads of lads' might do it, but then a large percentage of men seem like complete arseholes to me.

However, having said that, just having two dates to 'test the water' as it were seems fine.
  • Options
    Personally I don't see anything wrong with dating multiple people. Yes, I'm a guy.

I also don't see anything wrong with sleeping with multiple people, as long as you're all protected. I only stop that kind of activity when I decide I want to be with one person - and that has been over a year since that last happened.

I'm all for people having as much fun as they can - just try not to hurt people in the process... I don't particularly like lying to people, but it's a case of what somebody doesn't know can't hurt them.

Oh - and I'm not an arsehole. Quite a nice bloke, to be honest... I've just not met that right person to stop my tart-ish ways.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    I find the idea of anyone dating more than one person strange, that's just my view, if you're going to have a relationship then surely you need to invest emotions and time into it, I cant imagine being able to do this with multipule people. And yes 'loads of lads' might do it, but then a large percentage of men seem like complete arseholes to me.

However, having said that, just having two dates to 'test the water' as it were seems fine.
    I do agree with you - but having a few casual nights out with different guys at the same time is not the same as having a relationship with either of them. when one party wants t move onto further things, that's when you decide :yes:
  • Options
    go for it - you've got to keep your options open!
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:

its pretty common in USA .

It is? Just cuz they might do it on the OC or whatever shit show they have on now :yuck: :rolleyes:

I'm with Budda though, on the back up plan. If they know about eachother and your intentions, though, then its a different situation.
  • Options
    Simple answer - would you like it done to you? I'm guessing not.... :nervous:
  • Options
    wow 2 guys your a real pimpette!

On one hand, its bad to compare one to another
    on the other, nothing wrong with 'test drives'

then again I know fuck all about dating so have fun anyway!
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    i've already said i like him, just not as much as the 1st guy. if the 1st guy wasn't around, i would still be seeing the other guy.
    But the first guy is around, so what's the problem? Fuck him off.
  • Options
    But the first guy is around, so what's the problem? Fuck him off.

like she's said elsewhere, things with the first guy might not work out.

the first guy might be better looking but she might also find that personality wise she prefers the second one and thus later on he becomes better looking to her and possibly more relationship material than guy 1.

who knows!