Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Own a car?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How much would you say it cost you a year? Insurance, road tax, MOT's, petrol, service costs, everything. Oh, and what car do you drive, how old are you, and how far do you drive a year?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    lots of questions!

excluding MOT cost as excluding the actual cost of the test you can never really know how much they'll be..

my car costs £60 a month in insurance and petrol so £720 a year (never worked that out before..:(). on top of this there's tax which costs me £120 a year. so..grand total of £840. but then there are times say during the summer holidays that my mileage will change but it might decrease instead of increase so that's good!

there's also things like car wash/things to wash car with, de-icer, screenwash.

i'm 21 and i have a peugeot 106. i use it to drive home from uni at the weekends and back again doing around 60 miles a weekend.
    Insurance is £300 a year, costs £30 to fill a tank, and it gets filled about every 3 weeks, so about £500 a year. Tax is £110ish, MOT is £40ish plus any work that needs doing (usually lots) so add an extra £150 for maintenance. Then say an extra £50 or so a year for stuff like oil, screenwash, deicer.

So about £1150, all together.

I drive a P reg fiesta, I'm 25 and I drive about 5000 miles a year.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I can't answer most of those questions as I am only getting my car this week :hyper:

What I can tell you though is that it is a 06 Yaris, insurance is £600 for the year, road tax is £100 for the year.

I am 24 and the car will be used mainly for work as I do supply teaching so it will be used to get to and from various schools - some of which could be local, some could be at the other end of the city.
    Wasn't this in the news just recently?

Ahh yes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6068568.stm

AVERAGE CAR COSTS
    Fuel: £1,112 (£1,155 in 2005)
    Insurance: £412 (£389)
    Maintenance: £300 (£271)
    Tax: £129 (£124)
    Cost of finance: £1,040 (£948)
    bloody hell those insurance quotes are cheap :p

If you're a young male you can forget it!
    How much would you say it cost you a year?

Insurance- aprox £150 (3-4 years no claims plus added bonus of having tits- women get cheaper car insurance.)
    road tax- £120 a year.
    MOT- Aprox £30 at Kwik Fit (they're so crap they'll pass anything).
    petrol- around £10 a week (so £10 x 52 = £520 per year).
    service costs- I don't bother with services.
    Oh, and what car do you drive- Ford Fiesta M reg (1994)
    How old are you- 25,
    And how far do you drive a year?- under 6000 miles.

So how much does it cost? aprox £820 (excluding repairs and monthly air freshner changes mmmm magic tree freshness!).
    100 pm Loan which i bought the car with
    45 pm insurance
    120 pa Road Tax
    50 pm petrol
    150 pa servicing (Estimate)

So thats quite a bit really

ETA: oh and I'm 19 and probably do between 8000-10000 miles a year
    Primera 2.0SE:-

Cost of car - £364
    Insurance - £300
    Road tax - £170
    Economy - averaged 32mpg with typical town & 10-mile trips. Regularly ragged and uncared for.
    Repair costs: £0. Surprising, given the abuse I gave it.
    Kept - 7/8 months
    Sold on for - £275 with no MOT/tax/anything.

Impreza 2.0 Turbo 4wd:-
    Cost of car - £5200(£1800 below book at the time)
    Insurance - £698
    Road tax - £170
    Economy - town 18mpg, long run 23mpg - damned thirsty, achieved 28mpg once whilst belting down the M6 at well over 140mph, never saw anything like it ever again. Hit 157mph once on an empty dual-carriageway. Off topic...
    Repair costs: £300 for replacement tyres, £50 for one service
    Kept - 2/3 months
    Sold on for - £5200, broke even overall

Peugeot 205 1.9GTi:
    Cost of car - £500
    Insurance - £290
    Road tax - £170
    Economy - 30mpg around town, 40mpg on a run(42mpg achieved once)
    Repair costs - £160 for 4 tyres, £40 s/h rear suspension beam from a 309GTi(but probably £60 on routine servicing)
    Kept - 12 months
    Sold on for - £870
    Best car I've ever owned. Period.

Rover 800 Sterling(2.7 V6)
    Cost of car - £470
    Insurance - £360
    Road tax - £170
    Economy - 22mpg average, 28mpg on a run
    Repair costs - £100 exhaust, £30 suspension bush, £40 coolant tank, £60 routine servicing
    Kept - 10 months
    Sold on for - £700

I've always worked on all my own cars, so servicing costs are unrealistic for anyone using a garage. I can list a few more if anyone really wants to read them... Assume 20-30k per annum on average
    How much would you say it cost you a year? Insurance, road tax, MOT's, petrol, service costs, everything. Oh, and what car do you drive, how old are you, and how far do you drive a year?

Well this year it's cost me an absolute fortune because I've had to buy it and learn to drive it.

Buttt.... mine adds up to (I'm 17):

Fiat Cinquecento Sporting

Insurance - £700
    Road tax - £110
    MOT - £35 (my Dad prepares it for MOT and fixes it when it fails, because he's qualified to do so, so I don't have the failing cost to worry about)
    Petrol - At the mo, not a lot, but until I've got a job I can only use £30 a month.

Thereforeeeee, year costs equal = £1215 (If i added that up right.) But you know there'd be more to spend, just not as regularly :)
    Ok. I'm 21, but i've held my licence for under a year (which will affect my insurance) and i drive an M reg 1l Nissan Micra.

I drive 24 miles a day to and from work, so 24*5*48= 5760 miles a year, call it 6500 including weekend driving etc.

Insurance = £540
    Tax = £120 (ish)
    MOT = £25
    Petrol = £780 a year (i use a tank in 2 weeks and it costs £30 to fill up)

So that's £1465, + a contingency budget for funny noises (and other things like that!) of £200, so £1665.

And i need some new tyres, which is gonna cost me about £150.

Call it £1800.
    What's the deal with getting someone else to insure your car, and putting you on as a named driver instead of insuring it yourself? I know it's not dodgy or anything, but what are the implications of it? Do they have to legally own the car or something? has anyone done it?
    There aren't many implications, but if someone is only a named driver they should not be the primary driver of the car. It may invalidate the insurance if the insurer finds out that they are the primary user of the car.

The person doing the insuring doesn't need to be the registered owner of the car; our car is still owned by my father in law, but we are insured (GWST is the main driver, and I'm the named driver, cause its cheaper that way).
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I drive a corsa sxi 1.2 it cost £5000 about 8 months ago

My tax is £60 every 6 months
    insurance is about £250 with 5 years no claims :angel:
    MOTs - not had one in this car yet, but should pass.
    petrol is a bloody fortune do my mileage of about 20,000 miles per year.
    i drive a Honda Prelude VTEC, i pay about £50-55 a week on full, tax is around 200 a year i think which sucks as i think all cars should pay the same, mot work is done by a mate so i spend about 300 a year on parts/mot testing, and the insurance is about 650 a year full comp at 22
    drive a Toyota Starlet 1.3i CD.

Costs about £280 insurance a year
    spend about £1500 a year on petrol i would think....usually do about 15000 a year i think.
    tax is £60.50 for 6 months.
    Mot just cost me £44

might looks a shit heap but it serves me well, pretty nippy and never any major problems.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I've just forked out £175 on tax for a year. :mad:
    Weekender Offender 
    Up until last Saturday I was driving a 350Z.

Cost £40k+ with modifications.
    Insurance was £900/year, including all modifications (approx £12k worth) and for up to 25,000 miles.
    80 litre tank filled with Optimax was about £80. That would last 400 miles on average - before I started this job in London, that would last just under 4 days. With longer trips factored in, call it £5000 a year on fuel. Average approx 25mpg.
    Servicing package cost me £29/month over three years.
    Tax was £190/year.
    Car was still under warranty.
    Decided to sell as am buying 2nd property and so thought it would be put to better use that way considering I take the tube to work now.

God I miss that car and it's only been gone a week :(

Am now looking at an RX7. Beastie and a half. Official consumption 16mpg, but with my right foot, I doubt it ;) Just want a "cheap" run around, but needs to look good and go like the clappers.
    Impreza 2.0 Turbo 4wd:-
    Cost of car - £5200(£1800 below book at the time)
    Insurance - £698
    Road tax - £170
    Economy - town 18mpg, long run 23mpg - damned thirsty, achieved 28mpg once whilst belting down the M6 at well over 140mph, never saw anything like it ever again.

Erm, I fail to see how you got BETTER mpg doing 140 than on a steady long run mate. No chance. That's not how it works. You have your foot down, you use more fuel. Simple.

Maybe you saw that temporarily when slowing down...

I maxed the Zed out when it hit the speed limiter at 155mph and you could literally WATCH the fuel gauge going down. Oh, I wasn't in the UK at the time. Road trip to the 'Ring :D
    g_angel007 wrote:
    Erm, I fail to see how you got BETTER mpg doing 140 than on a steady long run mate. No chance. That's not how it works. You have your foot down, you use more fuel. Simple.

Maybe you saw that temporarily when slowing down...

I maxed the Zed out when it hit the speed limiter at 155mph and you could literally WATCH the fuel gauge going down. Oh, I wasn't in the UK at the time. Road trip to the 'Ring :D

It was calculated over the whole tank mate. I always do it manually when refuelling.

Don't ask me to explain it, because I can't. It was the best economy I ever achieved in that car, and by quite some margin. All I will say is that increased speed doesn't always equal decreased economy - the 'sweet spot' between fuel usage and vehicle speed will vary from vehicle to vehicle.
    If it's over the whole tank then that's different. But a constant 140mph = your tank will have been dry pretty quick. Coasting back to a normal speed will = very little fuel used.

Oh - you also may not want to broadcast on a public forum about doing double the speed limit on a public road!!! ;)

I'm looking at various modded RX7's at the moment - not fussed about the fuel consumption, but BOY do they shift!! :D
    I'm 27 and i drive a vaux corsa 1.4
    I drive less than 10,000 miles a year.
    I use about £25 worth of petrol every 2 weeks or so.
    I pay about £25 a month for insurance (thats with about 6 years no claims).
    Mot usually come out at a few hundred :(.
    This year i also forked out £155 for the cam belt to be changed.
    Tax about £110.
    Car wash no more that £10 a year oops.
    g_angel007 wrote:
    If it's over the whole tank then that's different. But a constant 140mph = your tank will have been dry pretty quick. Coasting back to a normal speed will = very little fuel used.

Oh - you also may not want to broadcast on a public forum about doing double the speed limit on a public road!!! ;)

I'm looking at various modded RX7's at the moment - not fussed about the fuel consumption, but BOY do they shift!! :D

It may not have been the whole tank. I think I filled the car up, blatted up to the airport and back, then topped up. But it was over just the one journey, I believe.

Not fussed who knows that I go fast on occasion. Have been on the roads doing quite a lot of miles for almost a decade, have had no accidents or points. I must be doing something right :).

RX7s are lovely. I'd have one :). Do the tips still need doing every 50k or so?
    :)

Yeah - they still need a full rebuild at 60k...

Most have been done and so these are the ones I am looking at.

Not too fussed on the 'kit on this one, but the spec reads quite nicely:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/110241.htm

and this one it's too bad either ;)

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/109657.htm

There'a a few out there around the £5500-£7000 mark, which is what I'm looking at. As I say, just a bit of a toy really!

I was looking at spending a couple of grand on a little run-around, but after the Zed I just couldn't bring myself to drive something "normal" (no offence to anybody...).

I'll be buying either another Zed (GT-S is they decide to build it...) in a couple of years (bought two apartments this year which has eaten my cash), or the new GTR. Mmmmm.

Aston Martin V8 will most likely be next, assuming they sort the reliability Gremlins. I promised myself one before I'm 35 and I've still got 8 years to go... They're just so pretty :)
    Not a fan of kits, TBH. I think the pukka UK cars were pretty. Very pretty, actually. But most of the stuff coming over from Japan is quite tasteless IMO - but I accept that I'm in the minority. 3 Billion readers of Lax Power will think differently to me :).

Prefer the second advert, personally. :)
    Exactly - As close to stock bodywise is my preference. Just needs clear repeaters and some nice rims on it.

I *hate* big wings. Detest them.

My Zed had the bodywork pretty much untouched apart from a stubby aerial. Had some lovely Nismo rims on it and a Nismo zorst. Had the mods where it mattered.

The first one had a superb spec, but the big kit has ruined it... Also, he's now gone and shoved a Veilside rear wing on it - and they're usually FAR from discrete. Idiot.

I don't understand ruining a car's looks. :(

The problem with the second one is that he doesn't have any of the paperwork for the rebuild etc etc as it was done in Japan. No way in hell I am parting with £££ without proof of work done.

Personally, the following two are pretty much spot on, just got to get time to see the bloody things!!

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/108004.htm

and almost the same, but with slightly smaller rims:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/99846.htm

Clean lines are a winner with me.

G.
    I got a Ford Focus 1.6 Ink, 53reg

i got it in September and it came with a years MOT and 6 months Tax.

im 21 and paid about £1100 for insurance full comp (dont ask, but i will never go with norwich union again!)

for 6 months all i am paying for really is the loan of £150 a month and petrol which is around £25 a month, after that of course its more tax and further on MOT etc. etc.
    What's the deal with getting someone else to insure your car, and putting you on as a named driver instead of insuring it yourself? I know it's not dodgy or anything, but what are the implications of it? Do they have to legally own the car or something? has anyone done it?

Im on my mums insurance but i dont know very much about it at all sorry. I know a downside is that if i crash it, my mum looses HER no claims bonus. But I think its cheaper?
    If you go with Direct Line now (I think it's them anyway...) all named drivers gain NCB, not just the main driver.
    jenni30 wrote:
    Im on my mums insurance but i dont know very much about it at all sorry. I know a downside is that if i crash it, my mum looses HER no claims bonus. But I think its cheaper?

And you don't earn your own no claims so if you decided to go on your own sometime, you would start with no no claims.
    i dont own one and i dont many other 15 year olds that do. lol.