Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Is it too much?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey,

I've been really really stressed recently and have been drinking more often than usual, (11 days non stop now).

On an average night ive been drinking about 5 pints, 5 shots then about four triple vodkas.

My friend told me the other day that she was worried about me, but i don't see the big deal. I've been having a hard time lately and im blowing off some steam. I'm a 19yr old female trying to get her life back on track.

Do you guys think its too much?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    its only too much if it impacts upon your normal week, uni/work/college etc, everyone needs a blowout every now and then just remember your problems will still be there after the hangover ends.
    Yes - thats way over what your supposed to drink in one week let alone one day
    I suppose it does impact on my everyday life a little if im honest, but i cant help it. It helps me to relax, and de-stress. Im on antidepressants as well, but they don't seem to be working, so its the only way to block things out.
    Hmmm

If that's the only way you can "block things out", then I do believe you have a problem. Especially if you're on anti-depressants.

Maybe you need to talk to a professional - and you can't say it's too expensive because I reckon you're spending more on the booze!

Sounds crap but I have an ultra-stressful job (several people have been hospitalised over the last 3 weeks due to stress, too long hours etc etc) but I find getting some hard exercise in when I can helps. I do go out drinking, but only for fun and kicks. I don't have anything to drown. Booze is not the answer and could be the start of a downward spiral you REALLY don't want to ride.
    jordy wrote:
    I suppose it does impact on my everyday life a little if im honest, but i cant help it. It helps me to relax, and de-stress. Im on antidepressants as well, but they don't seem to be working, so its the only way to block things out.

Using any drug to 'block out' or 'forget' your problems is a quick way to developing a problem.

Unless you plan to continue drinking this way till all your problems disapear (you'll be an alcoholic before this happens) then you need to slow down and deal with the reasons.

If you continued this drinking in as little as five years you could be a full blown alcoholic, chemically addicted to it.
    I dont think Im strong enuf to speak to anyone.

I truly didn't, and still dont to some extent see it as a problem. Usually i'll only drink this much 4 times a week, its just that ive felt bad recently.

As for the money, i cant afford the booze, i borrow. think ive spent about 300 quid in two weeks on booze and cigs and things. Im skint.
    Well that's even worse...

Borrowing money to get lashed on just to make yourself feel better is hardly a good solution.

Think about it.

How do you intend to pay this money back, exactly?
    If it's taking over your life like that and affecting your finances then it is a problem, before we even get on to your poor liver. If you look under the health and wellbeing tab, and the drink and drugs tab you'll find some very good info pages which may help.
    The money wont be a problem at the end of the month because i'l have been paid. I just don't feel as though i am coping at the minute, and so it helps relieve the stress i feel under.

As for my liver, (and health in general), i understand that things will only get worse. I just think that as long as i snap out of it before too long, i wont do any long term damage.

I feel as though im in a loop: I feel down, so i drink, then when im getting over the heavy night, i feel down again, so drink some more.
    Try drinking Ribena, that's my preferred non alcoholic drink atm. Getting through truck loads of the stuff.

If you're not coping you need to look for solutions that aren't getting drunk.
    I cant go out and just drink soft drinks! It doesnt feel right without a pint or a vodka in my hand!
    You're drinking approximately 30 units of alcohol in a night every night. That is way too much and i think you know it. You're drinking in excess of a guideline weeks alcohol in a single night.
    jordy wrote:
    I feel as though im in a loop: I feel down, so i drink, then when im getting over the heavy night, i feel down again, so drink some more.

That's the problem with alcohol. It's a depressant. Yeah sure, you're having a drink, you feel good, you get pissed and all the crap (for a little while) goes away, BUT the next morning the depressant side to alcohol has kicked in and made you feel worse so you think 'Oooooo a little drinky wouldn't go amiss right now' and so it starts again.

You have a problem/addiction with alcohol and like with many other addictions you have to admit to yourself you have a problem, then you can start doing something about this.

I'm sure one of the gorgeous mods can post a link for you as TheSite is bound to have something on alcohol abuse and help giving up.

Best of luck for the future sunshine :thumb:
    budda wrote:
    If you continued this drinking in as little as five years you could be a full blown alcoholic, chemically addicted to it.

You could also be dead. Alcohol killed my neighbour in 3 years.
    jordy wrote:
    Im on antidepressants as well, but they don't seem to be working, so its the only way to block things out.

How long have you been on them ? If you've been on them for at least 4 weeks and not felt any better go back to your doctor. There are loads of AD's out there and it took me, unfortunately, years to find the right one. Though that's a nother story.
    I've been on fluoxetine for about four and a half weeks. They do me no good whatsoever.

The reason i dont think i have a problem is that i can go a couple of days without a drink. Its normally only four nights a week that i drink that much, its just that at the moment im more stressed than usual.
    If i was drinking all day evryday all the time, then yes, id think i have a drink problem, but it isnt everyday.

I go back to the docs this week, im going to ask him about changing my meds
    jordy wrote:
    I've been on fluoxetine for about four and a half weeks. They do me no good whatsoever........
    I go back to the docs this week, im going to ask him about changing my meds

Good.

jordy wrote:
    The reason i dont think i have a problem is that i can go a couple of days without a drink. Its normally only four nights a week that i drink that much, its just that at the moment im more stressed than usual.
    If i was drinking all day evryday all the time, then yes, id think i have a drink problem, but it isnt everyday.

Please don't think i'm having a go/nagging you, but this is just the kind of thing people with an alcohol problem say. From reading your posts there are 2 main things i'm picking up on. 1. You're drinking way too much in a day, let alone a week. 2. You're drinking to escape from your problems/depression.

Both of these things are bad for you and not good for your physical and mental health. You really do need to get some help. Sorry if i sound like some naggy old queen, but i sincerely have your best interests at heart.
    When you go back to the doctor, tell him how much you're drinking too. Apart from anything else there will be an interaction between the alcohol and the antidepressants.
    Thanks guys.

I think u've opened my eyes little. I seriously thought it was ok. I'll try and help myself first before i tell my doctor tho

Has anyone spoke to a counesellor before? If so has it helped you? My doc wants me to try it
    I'll be honest, counselling did nothing for me but bring back all the old shit and make me feel worse BUT i've known a lot of people for whom it's worked wonders. I'd give it a go.

I'm glad we've been able to open your eyes a little and hopefully you'll start to get things sorted out.

All the best for the future and pop back and let us know how you're doing :thumb: :)
    RubberSkin wrote:
    That's the problem with alcohol. It's a depressant. Yeah sure, you're having a drink, you feel good, you get pissed and all the crap (for a little while) goes away, BUT the next morning the depressant side to alcohol has kicked in and made you feel worse so you think 'Oooooo a little drinky wouldn't go amiss right now' and so it starts again.

Sorry, but you have totally misunderstood the term 'depressant' when it comes to alcohol, it is called that because of its effect on the CNS, breathing and heart rate. NOT because it has any impact upon a persons mood what so ever.

However, having said that 'drowning' your sorrows in fact masking your emotions with any intoxicant is a really bad idea.
    budda wrote:
    Sorry, but you have totally misunderstood the term 'depressant' when it comes to alcohol, it is called that because of its effect on the CNS, breathing and heart rate. NOT because it has any impact upon a persons mood what so ever.

Are you saying alcohol has no effect on a persons mood ?
    I'd say alcohol affetcs my mood.

When i start drinking my troubles seem to fade. But i have to admit that after about my second triple and foour or five pints i start to feel down again, even suicidal.
    Well if you build an 'emotional barrier' to stress and things then alcohol which relaxes your mind due to it being a depressant would 'bring down the walls' so to speak :p and would make you take a full on hit of your emotions.
    Yeah, i think that exactly what it does to me. I feel ten times worse towards then end of a drinking session
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Are you saying alcohol has no effect on a persons mood ?

No, that's not what I said. The term 'depressant' which describes alcohol has nothing to do with mood, its a term related to the drugs effect on the body (heart rate etc.). Valium is also a depressant for example. I was just pointing out that alcohol is called a depressant not because of its affect on peoples mood but because of its effect on the CNS, its a common misconception.
    Well if you build an 'emotional barrier' to stress and things then alcohol which relaxes your mind due to it being a depressant would 'bring down the walls' so to speak :p and would make you take a full on hit of your emotions.

Alcohol is not called a depressant because it makes you feel bad!
    budda wrote:
    Alcohol is not called a depressant because it makes you feel bad!

I thought this was 6th grade health class information! I'm with you, Budda, on the definiton of depressent... nicotine isn't an stimulant cuz it makes you feel happy :razz: ;)
    Strange that people don't know... upper/downer... stimulant/depressent
    jordy wrote:
    I've been on fluoxetine for about four and a half weeks. They do me no good whatsoever.
    thats probably because they take weeks to start to work in your system. it has an accumilative effect so you cannot see / feel immediate results. if weeks from now they still don't work then chat to your gp about switching the medication to another antidepressant. also, alcohol acts as a depressant so will probably make you feel worse!

your stressed so you drink, thats your way of coping. everybody copes differently. guess, only you can decide whether alcohol has started ruling your life or not... if it has then maybe consider going to an AA meeting and get yourself sorted out.
    Hey gus, thanks for what u have all said.

Going to ma gp today, hoping it goes well.
    *guys*