Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Israel admits to using phosphorous bombs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Israel has for the first time admitted it used controversial phosphorus shells during fighting against Hezbollah in Lebanon in July and August.

Cabinet minister Jacob Edery confirmed the bombs were dropped "against military targets in open ground".

Israel had previously said the weapons were used only to mark targets.

Phosphorus weapons cause chemical burns and the Red Cross and human rights groups say they should be treated as chemical weapons.

The Geneva Conventions ban the use of white phosphorus as an incendiary weapon against civilian populations and in air attacks against military forces in civilian areas.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/6075408.stm

Comments

• Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Yet another law broken, what a supprise.

Do we expect any more from a rouge state that slaughters nnocents, fire on civilians and the UN, and defies international law regularly?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    So we should expect from almost every nation on earth then? I agree!
    Bullseye wrote:
    So we should expect from almost every nation on earth then? I agree!
    Every nation on earth is acting as badly as Israel?

Fuck, I missed WW3 breaking out. Do tell me what happened!
    Well, American, Britain, Russia, China, Sudan, Congo, I am sure some central American nations too though no names spring to mind are all carrying out attacks on civilians, slaughtering innocents, etc...so, hence why i said, almost every country on Earth...i am sure the Swiss aren't involved in such activities though.
    Bullseye wrote:
    Well, American, Britain, Russia, China, Sudan, Congo, I am sure some central American nations too though no names spring to mind are all carrying out attacks on civilians, slaughtering innocents, etc...so, hence why i said, almost every country on Earth...i am sure the Swiss aren't involved in such activities though.

Britain is? America is and has been for years... China, I wasn't aware of. Sudan and Congo are torn by civil war... I don't see the est helping them either. :( I suppose you refer to Russia with Chechnya. I am supprised there are still civilians left there.

The majority of Europe isn't. The majority of hte mid-East isn't. The majority of Scandanavia isn't.

It seems the only people who are attacking civilians are the big bully-boys. However, I only see about two of the nations up there who consitently ignore international warnings about violiting the geneva convention and I only see... none!... who fire on the UN deliberatley with full intention of killing them.

These actions all added up, only Israel can claim to be such a nation as this. One who does ALL the crimes. And doesn't ever get held to account.
    Israel in legal use of weapons shocker:shocking:
    NQA wrote:
    Israel in legal use of weapons shocker:shocking:

I guess you didn't actually read the article.
    Blagsta wrote:
    I guess you didn't actually read the article.

I did and got several pieces of relevant information.

1) WP is banned against either civilian targets or in air attacks against military targets in civilian areas.

2) Israel used it against military targets in the open.

3) The Red Cross and others want them banned.

4) They are not banned at the moment, therefore they are legal.
    Yep, and Israel was targetting civilians.
    Just because something is legal doesn't mean is right, NQA.

Cluster bombs might be 'legal' in the eyes of some nations (shamefully we're one of them) but they are still fucking odious weapons that shouldn't be used anywhere populated areas.

Yet Israel fired tens of thousands of the fuckers in densly populated areas of Lebanon- in the last 3 days of the conflict as well, when a ceasefired had been agreed and hostilities were about to stop. As a result several hundred thousand bomblets litter the country, killing and maiming countless children and farmers going about their business.

There is little surprise about Israel using phosphorous. Nothing, no matter how barbaric, is seen as too much by that vibrant and liberal democracy.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Yep, and Israel was targetting civilians.

The Lebanese President makes a claim
    Lebanese President Emile Lahoud said in late July: "According to the Geneva Convention, when they use phosphorus bombs and laser bombs, is that allowed against civilians and children?"
    (actually that's not even a claim its a question and the answer is no for definite in the use of WP and a possible yes for laser guided depending on whether the target they're aimed at is of military value)

But why should I believe him more than
    Cabinet minister Jacob Edery confirmed the bombs were dropped "against military targets in open ground".
    NQA wrote:
    But why should I believe him more than

"Cabinet minister Jacob Edery confirmed the bombs were dropped "against military targets in open ground".
    The IDF are not exactly renowed for telling the truth are they?

You only need to take a look at the entire Beirut residential neighbourhood destroyed to work out whether Israel were really targetting military targets only...
    Perhaps it shows just how civilised "We" are, that the "legality" and,dare I say, the morality of a bomb is being debated.

:eek:
    Personally I think that as far as war is concerned, having laws in place is just pointless, retarded and used as a blatant excuse for sanctions etc. for places and people that we, the good guys, don't like. At the end of a day - what is legal in a war?

If Israel want to use phosphorous bombs in warfare, who are we to tell them otherwise? They can do what they want. Granted, they will reap the consequences and those consequences will be vaguely proportional to how far they have transgressed the 'laws of war' but why the fuck should anyone listen to us or the US any more so than Paraguay or Nepal? Cos we're the good guys and they're the bad guys?
    They should listen if they want to be part of the international community and to enjoy free trade and good relations with other nations. At the end of the day Israel is a member of the UN and of many international organisations and agreements.
    Cos we're the good guys and they're the bad guys?

Not really that, we've got the power and they don't. Israel is allied with America, it can do what it wants. Meh what ya gonna do.
    I thought the front page of the Independent 2 days ago merited bumping up this thread:

Israel 'used uranium weapons in Lebanon'

Next time someone mentions Iran or North Korea, let's remind ourselves which is the biggest and most dangerous rogue regime of them all shall we?
    Israel is allied with America, it can do what it wants.

pretty much the bottom line in all this....

will probly stay that way until there is less zionist influence associated with the american gov!
    What a supprise. [/sarcasm]

Iran and North Korea - it's no wonder they want nukes, to save themselves from attacks from nationals like Israela and America! America has been using White Phos for a while too, so it's no supprise Israel followed in her footsteps.

Enriched uranium though... eep.