Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Using internet to meet people

2»

Comments

• littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    In this day and age I think that the internet is no different to any other situation for meeting people. Friends or otherwise. If meeting someone for the first time I would take exactly the same precautions that I would take if meeting someone I pulled the night before in a club. If you are sensible about things then go for it.

It is no longer seen as desperation.

For the record, I met my husband off the internet.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I tried the whole faceparty/myspace thing once.

Turns out women are just as vicious online as they are in real life... :impissed:
    Leicester Luke, I didn't dump him. He split up with me for a number reasons, one of which was because of the distance. He doesn't lack any social skills whatsoever tbh. And tbh, I don't think I'm "too good" for anyone. I think the opposite infact...

Okay, well then I'm man enough to apologise. It's just what your original post suggested, but you appear to have edited it to explain more accurately what you meant, so fair enough...
    Another thing I notice is that some people seem to have a generalised opinion that every girl on faceparty is a slag and that all the lads are pervs and that everyone on there cannot 'pull' in the real world. Sure, there's a fair share of fruitcakes on there, but i've talked to what seem to be some genuinely nice girls on there to. As for my own faceparty, it is just for entertainment purposes for some long boring hours at work mainly. I don't take it to seriously. I've certainly met ten times more people in the real world than on the net - my point being that not everybody on these sites is some sort of f**k up...
    I met my boyfriend online. Wasn't deliberate though, we were casually chatting for 3 1/2 years before we met, and the last year we got really close. So the opportunity came to meet, and we did. And it just goes from there.
    Another thing I notice is that some people seem to have a generalised opinion that every girl on faceparty is a slag and that all the lads are pervs and that everyone on there cannot 'pull' in the real world. Sure, there's a fair share of fruitcakes on there, but i've talked to what seem to be some genuinely nice girls on there to. As for my own faceparty, it is just for entertainment purposes for some long boring hours at work mainly. I don't take it to seriously. I've certainly met ten times more people in the real world than on the net - my point being that not everybody on these sites is some sort of f**k up...
    Who said that they're a fuck up? Don't get so defensive.
    Well exactly, and ive already said I met the love of my life on faceparty and neither of us are slags, and tbh, although there were a fair few perves and weirdos, theyre pretty easy to weed out.
    I went on there for a laugh, to make friends, not to look for sex or a relationship really. It gave me a lot of confidence at a time when I really needed it and ended up meeting someone really great on there.
    I dont think it is just a meat market, even if some people do use it for that. and theres plenty of gooduns too, in amongst the bad. Just like any gathering in real life or online.
    Okay, well then I'm man enough to apologise. It's just what your original post suggested, but you appear to have edited it to explain more accurately what you meant, so fair enough...
    Its alright. My first post wasn't very clear hence the added 3 sentences that have been put there! :p
    Hi there, it is nice to see so many people responding and giving good advice. i thought i would help as well and attach an article looking at pulling online, which shows different ways of meeting people and different ways to talk to them. Good luck!!:)
    i met my first boyfriend online and it worked out really well, it doesnt always though but its worth asking to meet up, no harm done if she says no
    the fact shes texting you suggests you mean something to her so she probably wants to meet you
    maybe ask questions around the subject such as what would we do if we met up or somthing to see what she says
    i met my ex on faceparty (:o) 19 months ago. we tried not to tell people as it wasn't really an accepted form of meeting people and well to be honest if my friend told me they met their fella on the net i'd be like 'saddo!'. i don't really go shouting out about how we met but i'm glad we did.
    i met my ex on faceparty (:o) 19 months ago. we tried not to tell people as it wasn't really an accepted form of meeting people and well to be honest if my friend told me they met their fella on the net i'd be like 'saddo!'. i don't really go shouting out about how we met but i'm glad we did.
    yea it is kinda embrassing if people ask how you met and you say online, i always use to try and cover it up haha but loads of people do it so its alright
    Ive met a load of weirdos though here. :p

I did meet my ex girlfriend through myspace.
    Renzo wrote:

I did meet my ex girlfriend through myspace.
    Moi?
    Renzo wrote:
    I've met some lovely weirdos from this place. I've also made some really good mates.
    I can understand why people do it but it's just not my thing.

I like to know someone personally/face-to-face before I get to know them, also, I haven't met anyone online really that's near my area and it really is sad to actually travel X amount of miles just to meet a basic stranger.
    It's sad that people have to think that meeting someone online is sad. By that i mean that it has become a generisation. It's not sad at all. If i meet someone online, become very good friends, we meet hit it off and become partners, should i be ashamed that i originally met her online ? I don't think so.

Being shy i find it a whole lot easier to get to know someone online THEN meet in person, i've done it a few time's now and i've really enjoyed meeting those people.
    edn1 wrote:
    It's sad that people have to think that meeting someone online is sad.

It's sad that people who say it's sad that people think that meeting someone online is sad. :p
    Yerascrote wrote:
    It's sad that people who say it's sad that people think that meeting someone online is sad. :p

Its not sad to met someone online at all, loads of people on here have met up and become friends/partners etc. Are you just trolling again? (as normal)
    Its not sad to met someone online at all, loads of people on here have met up and become friends/partners etc. Are you just trolling again? (as normal)

What the fuck are you on about? :mad:

Oh yes I'm trolling, try reading what I wrote first. :rolleyes:
    Eurgh.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Good night, eh, Bri? :D

:razz:

EDIT: quoted deleted post
    I met my boyfriend on the Internet. On here, actually. We were friends for months beforehand, but it turns out this is a better arrangement ;p. Actually, all of my boyfriends in the last 4 years (bar one of them - the last ex) have been off the Internet. Bear in mind that that's only a total of about 5 people, so it's not *that* bad, but ya know.

The thing I like about meeting people online is that I can get to know them before I meet up with them. It makes me feel a whole lot more secure in my relationship with them - friendship or otherwise - if I feel like I know them quite well before I meet them. Not sure why.
    I met up with a girl I've been chatting to on the Internet last weekend, it was one of the most nerve racking things I've done. Knowing that get on with someone over MSN is one thing but travelling over 3 hours to stay the weekend is another. Thankfully though we got on just as well in person, and now were planning more excursions.

All I'd say is just take a chance, you don't want to leave it and think, what if? Life is too short for what ifs?
    All I'd say is just take a chance, you don't want to leave it and think, what if? Life is too short for what ifs?

I'd agree with that.

I met somebody off here for the weekend recently that I'd "known" for about four years on here, but it'd just sort have been the last few months we'd started yapping again, and we got really flirty and quite deep over MSN and texts.

It didn't work in real life because there wasn't the same spark there and it got a bit messy. But I think we both still had a good time and I'm still glad I went down and gave it a go.

It can work, but the problem starts when you go out less and go perving on Faceparty more.
    Bri-namite wrote:
    It didn't work in real life because there wasn't the same spark there and it got a bit messy. But I think we both still had a good time and I'm still glad I went down and gave it a go.

:naughty: