Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Thailand

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm going to Thailand for 3 months in a year, anyone been there and know any good places to visit/stay? Also, what are the prices like for accomodation and what's the best form of transport out there?
cheers
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Three months will give you enough time to explore the entire Thailand. I suggest you go to Patthaya and Phuket. Accommodations and meals are cheap in Thailand. Buses and tuktuk are the best transport services there.
  • Options
    What time of year are you going? If you go down to the peninsular where most of the beaches are you need to check which coast will be in the dry season and which will be in the wet season as they are affected by different monsoons at different times of the year. I think (but check because i could be wrong) that the east coast has its monsoon season between october and march whereas the west coast is drier during this time but wetter from march to october.

Where you want to go depends on what you want to see/do. The resorts of phuket, Krabi etc. are very touristy with lots of bars and tacky souvenir shops along the beach front which i felt kind of spoilt it but if you get away from these touristy areas there are some beautiful beaches. If you're into the cultural side of things its worth going up to Chiang Mai in the north (second largest city in Bangkok) which has some beautiful temples and you can also go elephant trekking etc there.

Prices of accomodation vary but its generally really cheap in most places. You can get a bure right on the beach in some places for as little as £2 per night and a 4* hotel in Bangkok for less than £10 per night.

As for transport i'd recommend public buses/coaches which run between most of the cities on a frequent basis. Overnight trains are also good in Thailand althogh if you take one of these it's definately worth paying the extra for a bed (not much more) rather than sitting in a cramped carriage for 16 hours. Tuktuks are quite a fun way to get around in the cities and something you have to try but they are really expensive compared to buses/taxis and they do try and rip you off.

I got back from Thailand not along ago so if you have any other questions let me know.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi ya, you might find TheSite's article about Thailand has some useful info :thumb:
  • Options
    Cheers guys, not really sure what time of year yet but I'll back to you when I have more info.
  • Options
    Check out Koh Samui, koh phangnan, koh tao, krabi etc.

Phuket may still be in a state of disprepair following the tsunami

Pattaya is a place full of girly bars.

I loved Samui, and stayed around there for 2 months. Its an awesome place.