Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

trick or treat

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
L has been invited to a halloween party and then to go trick or treating afterwards, and im in two minds about the trick or treating part.
I had a bad experience when I was a kid, where a guy pulled me indoors and tried to duck my head underwater. I was petrified, and although it later turned out it was a joke (and thats what they did to trick or treaters up north :s ) I never went trick or treating again, and have never taken L.
Theres also the problem that he goes looney if he has certain sweets, and there would probably be loads id have to confiscate anyway.
Am I just being overtcautious or maybe even a kiljoy?
Shall i just take him to the party or shall we go trick or treating too?

Did you do it?
Do you let your kids do it?
Do you give stuff to trick or treaters?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    How old is he? Is he a sensible child?

Will an adult be going with the group? If there is an adult in the group who you trust then I would allow him to go. It would be naff if all his friends were going and he wasn't. It seems a shame for him to miss out because you had a bad experience, although I can see why you are wary too.

I went trick or treating but it was different for me as I lived in a very small village and knew everyone.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    L has been invited to a halloween party and then to go trick or treating afterwards, and im in two minds about the trick or treating part.
    I had a bad experience when I was a kid, where a guy pulled me indoors and tried to duck my head underwater. I was petrified, and although it later turned out it was a joke (and thats what they did to trick or treaters up north :s ) I never went trick or treating again, and have never taken L.
    Theres also the problem that he goes looney if he has certain sweets, and there would probably be loads id have to confiscate anyway.
    Am I just being overtcautious or maybe even a kiljoy?
    Shall i just take him to the party or shall we go trick or treating too?

Did you do it?
    Do you let your kids do it?
    Do you give stuff to trick or treaters?
    Fuking hell, tried being drawned. The worst I got was a page out of the bible.

I did go trick or treating when I was a child (primary school) with my parents.

I dont give any treats out now because there not children that knock on my door, there teenagers.

Perhaps give him some sweets, then instead of letting him eat them all atr once, spread them out over the week.
    My mum never took me trick or treating when I was really young cos she didn't agree with it incase I scared the shit out of some old lady or something and she also thinks that it's no better than begging....which I think is kinda pathetic cos how is an old lady gonna be afraid of a lil 5 or 6 year old me??! And as for the begging part well yeah but it's only a bit of fun....when I got a bit older I went trick or treating with my mates anyway until we decided that we were a bit too old for it at the age of about 11.
    It's really up to you, don't not take him just because of your bad experience but if you have moral objections to it like my mum did then don't, but if you don't have a problem with it and you think you'll have a good time then go trick or treating! :)
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    IMO children should always go with their parents (if not they're too old to be doing it) and should only knock on the doors of people they know or are at least acquainted with. The one time my parents let me knock on strangers doors was the one year things went wrong. Man I sound old.

My nephew has the same thing with sweets - I think HIT's idea sounded good.
    We had trick or treaters sat night, i went to the door in me rubber gear and hockey mask with my mate dave in a rubber cat suit and gas mask, fuck they looked scared shitless :D
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I never did it, wasn't really a popular thing to do round my way.
    Weekender Offender 
    Thats a hard one. James hasn't yet and i am not sure he will be going either mainly because Chris doesn't agree with it.
    Also the thing with going funny on sweets, i sooooo know what you mean, it's like they have been possessed!!!

I would consider it if and adult was going to be very nearby.
    if he does do the trick or treating thing, id be definitely going along too. I still havent decided. Its quite a well-to-do area where it would be anyway so (snobby me) would feel safer in that respect if out knocking on doors. I did mention to my friend I wasnt sure about the trick or treating part, and she seemed a bit surprised, thats why im wondering if im just being a kiljoy.
    Tweety wrote:
    Thats a hard one. James hasn't yet and i am not sure he will be going either mainly because Chris doesn't agree with it.

It is a bit of strange tradition really. Bassically it's "give me something nice, or I'll be an anti social cunt" :D
    It doesn't bother me, but with the amoutn of miserable cunts out there I'm suprised there hasn't been more pressure to ban it.
    Weekender Offender 
    to be fair, ive only distantly heard rumours of people using tricks back, I think its more like just asking for treats, but if they say no, thats fine.
    to be fair, ive only distantly heard rumours of people using tricks back, I think its more like just asking for treats, but if they say no, thats fine.

No doubt that's what happens most of the time.

The problem is if some kids decide to trick, say throw an egg at window, could they then be in trouble with the gavers?
    I'm just suprised it doesn't cause more problems that's all.
    Weekender Offender 
    We used to do the penny (pound :D) for guy thing and used to go carol singing when I was younger - infact we used to make quite a bit carol singing.

Trick or treating teaches kids that protection rackets are ok. ;)
    Weekender Offender 
    We used to do penny for the guy as well! Nowadays I dont know anyone who has private bonfire parties - only occasional fireworks ones. Bonfire parties were the best!
    Id rather burn down the houses of parliament though!
    Nowadays I dont know anyone who has private bonfire parties - only occasional fireworks ones.

Really, I suppose it's a bit different where I live. We used to have really big parties at our kenna and I always preffered the bonfire to the fireworks bit.

I might go down to Lewes one year. That looks like fun.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    We used to do the penny (pound :D) for guy thing and used to go carol singing when I was younger - infact we used to make quite a bit carol singing.

The teenagers have caught onto this idea where my parents live, they are totally dire and cant hold a tune to save their life, but they must make a mint out of it.
    we used to make shed loads trick or treating, penny for th guy and carol singing!
    Sometiems we didn't even dress up or have a guy.
    budda wrote:
    The teenagers have caught onto this idea where my parents live, they are totally dire and cant hold a tune to save their life, but they must make a mint out of it.

Sometimes you get the old dears giving you mince pies instead though. :yuck:

And I've sold Mistle Toe in more recent years. That's not bad money either.
    Weekender Offender 
    Halloween used to be the perfect excuse for me to go mad when I was younger. I was never into trick or treating (well maybe when I was about 8) but I remember loving fireworks when I was about 13 and I suppose I was a bit of a pyromaniac.

I remember arming myself to the teeth with rockets and bangers one year and specifically going out to target one my teacher's house (he was a total cunt), who lived nearby. I put bangers inside oranges and then placed them outside his door. Taped rockets to his white pillars and blew some other stuff up around his garden. Yes I was a little bastard, and I got caught doing it by another neighbour who dobbed me in. I got in alot of trouble. French class was awkward after that.
    Worse thing that ever happened to me trick or treating was when i was in 12 or 13 some random bloke attacked me. Me and my mates were just trick or treating while some older lads 16+ had been egging this guys house. Anyway he suddenly ran out of his house and instead of going after them just grabbed me and pinned me to the floor. He started to drag me to his house whilst shouting abuse at me. Some how i managed to find the strength to battle against him and managed to drag myself into a shop where he was forced to let go of me.
    Trick or treating isn't done hugely in my area (I mean where I come from... No idea about where I am now... Better get some sweeties in today for the kids! :)), but in my home town there were reports of old people having heart attacks because the kid's masks scared old people. Ohh yeah... And on an estate by me some kids put fireworks through an old person's letter box because they got no sweets... Or something.

I don't know how safe trick or treating is, I'd imagine in Surbiton it's probably very safe... Personally I think it's cute though.
    I don't know how old your son is, but someone I know whose young son is unable to have sweets goes out trick or treating with his friends (and parents), then when he goes to bed that night he puts his sweets out for "The Great Pumpkin" who comes and takes them and leaves a gift in exchange- a bit like the tooth fairy
    viks wrote:
    I don't know how old your son is, but someone I know whose young son is unable to have sweets goes out trick or treating with his friends (and parents), then when he goes to bed that night he puts his sweets out for "The Great Pumpkin" who comes and takes them and leaves a gift in exchange- a bit like the tooth fairy
    Thats something to consider actually! thanks.
    Hes 5 btw.
    I never went trick or treating. We get them quite alot around here though. Never give them anything. A few years ago (maybe last year; can't remember) I remember someone knocking on the door and shouting trick or treat. I said nothing to them and just shut the door in their face...
    viks wrote:

That's a really clever idea actually :)

I always went trick or treating when I was little, and I will pick some sweets up tomorrow for the kids tomorrow night. I don't see anything wrong with it, so long as it's restricted to the weekend before, or actually on Halloween. I've had a few turn up on like the 20th and it's a bit like "Erm.... well no becuase Halloween isn't even here yet"

Obviously when the 13 year olds come knocking we ignore them. Or last year, some silly little (I say little.... 11 or so) boys wouldn't go away (they weren't being violent or a nusiance, just coming back and knocking every 5 minutes since they could see our lights on), we flicked water at them from upstairs as a trick to get them to sod off. Luckily, they took it lightheartedly and told me I was cool because I was the only one to actually do a trick :D
    "Halloween's coming and the goose is getting fat..." rhyme.

Halloween??

My nan's always sang that to me at Christmas!(and her children's christmas CD)

"Christmas is coming, the goose is getting fat, please put a penny in the old mans hat"

(Can't remember any more words than that :razz:)
    Tis all up the left here, see!

:D I knew I wasn't imagining it.... (though the tune is crap, nothing like the version we've got)
    when i was little i ALWAYS went trickle treating and love the idea of getting free sweet but now im sort of realising how dangerous and stupid people are to let their kids rome the streets so late at night knocking on strangers doors when there are so many rapists, sex offenders etc out there waiting to rape kids (although most are harmless its still a risk) and most parents have no idea where their children are trickle treating if they disappeared no one would know where they were
    Also, its annoying when older children go around throwing eggs at doors and basically being annoying, i know their having fun but still it shouldnt be at the exspense of everyone else.
    nicx1811 wrote:
    :D I knew I wasn't imagining it.... (though the tune is crap, nothing like the version we've got)

Yeah, it's definitely a christmas song, not a halloween song. I thought that was obvious with the whole goose aspect (as in, the goose is getting fat so you can eat it for christmas dinner)...