Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

chesty

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok i have been chesty and coughing my guts up for a while now, it started thursday. I saw a doc friday and he said my chest was clear at that time.

Today i feel really chesty and wheezy on and off. Am coughing up lots of green stuff.
How long do i leave it until i get it checked again? They are all booked up today.

I don't want to be wasting anyones time.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Tweety wrote:
    Ok i have been chesty and coughing my guts up for a while now, it started thursday. I saw a doc friday and he said my chest was clear at that time.

Today i feel really chesty and wheezy on and off. Am coughing up lots of green stuff.
    How long do i leave it until i get it checked again? They are all booked up today.

I don't want to be wasting anyones time.
    You wouldn't be wasting any ones time. Book in as an emergency, if the DR says there's nothing wrong, book with another.

Coughing up green usually means infection coming. You will need to have antibiotics.
    But if i am coughing some up won't it be clearing itself? I don't really wanna be taking anything unless i have to.
    Well no, the mucus your body is making is the work of the immune system, indicating you've got an infection. I'd go back Tweet, chest infections aren't to be taken lightly.
    Tweety wrote:
    But if i am coughing some up won't it be clearing itself? I don't really wanna be taking anything unless i have to.
    I was coughing up for about 5 months before I decided to do anything. It takes a hell of a long time to clear. You will have muck in your stomach still which will make you feel horrible, and possibly loss of appetite.
    Got triage (sp?) nurse phoning me back later to decide if i need to see a doctor.
    In the short term a cough mixture with guifasine (sp?) in it was than DXM is a good idea, its an expelorant meaning it will help you cough up all the crap.
    I have one of those i think, i am doing a pretty good job on my own atm though, when they coughing your boots up, it really feels like it lol.
    Coughing up green stuff isn't necessarily a sign of an infection so try not to worry. Plenty of hot drinks, rest and TLC would be good regardless. See what the triage nurse says and go with them. If you feel worse or don't feel any better definitely go back.

Are you asthmatic? If you are then rethink and go back to the doctor more quickly.
    I was coughing for about a week before they realised I had laryngitis. Definitely get a second opinion.
    Are you asthmatic? If you are then rethink and go back to the doctor more quickly.

I'm not but i was born with and still have a hole in my heart.
    If i get to see one it will be a different one than the one i saw anyway as it was at the out of hors doc at the hospital i saw the other day.
    In which case if you're feeling any worse (or even no better) try and see the doctor, some surgeries release afternoon appointments as well as morning ones. Or tomorrow morning.
    Just been to the doctors on the nurses request and i have Bronchitis aswell as the flu.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Tweety wrote:
    Just been to the doctors on the nurses request and i have Bronchitis aswell as the flu.
    Ack, jeez, Tweets.

Feel better soon :)
    Ta, gonna have tea and get my first tablet down my neck. Urgh.
    Tweety wrote:
    And the DR gave you the all clear on Friday. :rolleyes:

Get well soon.
    HIT wrote:
    And the DR gave you the all clear on Friday. :rolleyes:

Get well soon.

He did, he just gave me some painkillers for the pain (which i didn't want and didn't take).
    Perhaps i didn't have it bad then? I dunno, i don't know how long it takes to kick in properly. I'm really glad i went though. The nurse who i spoke to before the doctor also seemed surprised i was sent away without anything as such.
    Bronchitis comes on very fast, and is fairly hard to miss, so you may well not have had it last time you saw the doctor!