Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Media player

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Whenever I try to play some streaming media from the web, instead of opening media player and autoplaying it when I click the link, Windows only gives me the option of saving the link. And then opening it after it is saved.

It used to do it in XP, but now it's doing it in Vista. The Vista install is a complete rebuild, not an upgrade, so it hasn't inherited the problem.

I've tried looking for a setting in internet explorer and media player, but can't find anything. Even tried Knowledge base, but still no help. I'm probably not looking hard enough, but it's proper annoying.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    what kind of thing are you tryin to stream?

usual sites would be youtube / google vid, but they have in built streaming players. music streams like at radio 1 use real player mostly, and are also web based usually... must be that you're downloading .wmv or .avi or whatever files, I dont see a problem with them downloading before you can play them, removes the need for buffering, and the data would be saved to your HD anyways.

infact, it's quite the opposite problem you'll find most people have, they want to save streaming media but cant :p

can't quite understand why this is annoying, but try clicking "open with" rather than "save as" on the file you want to stream.
  • Options
    I website I can use as an example is GermanTrance.com

If I try to play a sample, when I left click a button to hear a sample (either the A or B buttons next to the record) instead of media player opening, connecting to the sample and playing it, a save box opens (only giving me the option to save or cancel, not open) and I have to save the link (play.m3u) to the HDD. Then open it, wherein media player opens, connects to the sample and plays it.

This is the same as any other site i go to Hard To Find or Juno etc. (I know they are all record sites, but they are the best example).

It's annoying when you are trying to listen to new records and have to do this every time.