Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Healthcare professionals and novelty socks.

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/6084634.stm
Doctors, nurses and health visitors in Lancashire could be banned from wearing novelty socks to work.

The proposed ban is part of a uniform policy which would also stop staff from having tight clothes, unusual hairstyles or excessive tattoos.

I think its ridiculous.
A basic uniform is fine, but banning some of the things mentioned is discriminatory and pointless.
A few tattoos does not stop someone being good at what they do. People have a life outside of their job, and as for socks - theyll be hidden anyway most of the time wont they?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Seriously stupid. WTF is going on in this country?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    TBH I prefer it when NHS managers concentrate on providing quality service than worrying about what socks a doctor is wearing.
    Indeedy.

Tbh I'd rather they let healthcare professionals get on with their jobs and choose what they wear themselves as long as it doesn't cause problems for infection control.
    What a stupid idea. Who gives a toss what the doctor is wearing so long as he does his job properly?

And for many departments- especially children's departments- the wearing of novelty socks and silly hats should be compulsory!
    Although the wearing of those daft animal printed things that seems to be compulsary in childrens wards should be limited to where appropriate. Dealing with someone wearing that when you're 15 is incredibly irritating!
    Dealing with someone wearing that when you're 15 is incredibly irritating!
    maybe thats more of a problem when people are too old for a childrens ward and too young for an adult ward.
    maybe thats more of a problem when people are too old for a childrens ward and too young for an adult ward.
    Indeed. Perhaps that's what they should be looking into (ie, teen wards) rather than complaining about what socks a medical professional is wearing. *rolls eyes*
    Trouble is while you are under 16 in the eyes of the medical profession you are a child (which is fine for consent etc) but most of it doesn't quite seem to realise that it doesn't need to treat you like you're 5.

I'd far rather they came up with guidelines on how to treat teenagers than what socks to wear!
    I don't think that most NHS hospitals are that bad at treating teenagers, tbh, because few teenagers are as mature as they reckon they are. The heart unit at the Freeman in Newcastle get it spot on really, I have to say.
    hospitals aren't pleasant places, seeing doctors/nurses with novelty socks would be quite nice

nurses usually have tights and doctors trousers cover their socks anyway so what's the point?
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    This whole thing about "looking professional" makes me angry. As long as a doctor, bank teller, politician or whatever else was able to do his/her job properly I wouldn't care if they were dressed as clowns. I'd much rather see a lawyer (for example) in jeans and a t-shirt than suit and tie.
    A few tattoos does not stop someone being good at what they do. People have a life outside of their job, and as for socks - theyll be hidden anyway most of the time wont they?

quite a few jobs have rules about tattoos esp. on the forearms
    but ... socks ... i mean ... wtf !
    i'm sure they should be concentarating on more important things than if fred flintstone or similar appears on someones socks :rolleyes:
    Anyone above the age of twelve who wears novelty socks or ties ought to be shot on principle.
    NQA wrote:
    Anyone above the age of twelve who wears novelty socks or ties ought to be shot on principle.
    I disagree!
    Shooting of those sporting novelty ankle socks may possibly be justified, but trainer socks or long socks are definitely allowed.
    Shooting of those sporting novelty ankle socks may possibly be justified, but trainer socks or long socks are definitely allowed.

OK fair enough - them and the novelty tie wearers can be hung by those self same garments from the lamposts

Viva la revolution:thumb:
    They actually shut the teenage ward (12-18, occasionaly up to 21 depending on the conditon) at my mums hospital because they ran out of funds for it. My brother used it when he had an operation and was a really good idea. Nothing wrong with novelty socks. They do however have a studs only, wedding ring only jewellery rule for the nurses and a no visable tattoos rule for all staff. Which is fair enough.
    NQA wrote:

You are joking? Cuz that's damn harsh. Nothing wrong with adding a bit of brightness too this mostly dull grey world.
    You are joking? Cuz that's damn harsh. Nothing wrong with adding a bit of brightness too this mostly dull grey world.

No - novelty sock wearers and others members of the "I'm mad, me" brigade should be executed. I'm liberal enough to allow them a trial (sort of like Stalin's show trials) in which they can plead ffor their life and throw themselves on the courts mercy.

Well OK, the execution is slightly tongue in cheek, but I do think its babyish to wander around with Simpsons socks or a Scooby Doo tie
    What if you had a tattoo before you applied for the job? They couldn't refuse to hire you, surely?
    I don't want anything going under my flaps!
    HI all, my time poster here, but I'd just like to add I work as a health care professional for the NHS, and even though I am tucked away in a lab where now members of the public or patients ever see me...the rules are ridiculous. We have to wear a uniform, instead of lab coats, tattoo's and piercings are frown upon as apparently it doesnt look professional..well I hardly think the formalin fixed tissue/organ really gives a shit what I have painted on my body or what I have pierced through my tongue!!

Its no wonder so many fine members of staff leave, the rules and regs are beyond mental now.
    No - novelty sock wearers and others members of the "I'm mad, me" brigade should be executed. I'm liberal enough to allow them a trial (sort of like Stalin's show trials) in which they can plead ffor their life and throw themselves on the courts mercy.

Well OK, the execution is slightly tongue in cheek, but I do think its babyish to wander around with Simpsons socks or a Scooby Doo tie
    I've got simpsons socks, and disney socks and all sorts. Not that I show them off I just like them. Most people I know have more than afew pairs of themed socks also.

I really don't see the problem. Seems a very petty thing to be bothered by.