Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

i've been suspended from university

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
:crying: :crying: :crying:
next instalment of the nightmare of my life atm:i've been suspended from university pending a hearing with a student disciplinary comitee. this is because i cracked under stress and pushed some papers off of somone's desk... i was really flustrated at the time... so, anyway, my university saw fit to suspend me. i think i'm in shock over the whole thing. i've had a hell of a lot going on in my life recently, see http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=106106 and i mean, thats pretty much why what happened happened. this happened wednesday, i had an abortion on thursday, amongst all the other shit that has been going on. - i don't want to have to explain to a comitee about my personal life, even though its THE reason why i pushed those papers. is there any way i could say nothing without being crucified for it? and would anyone happen to know if this going to be on my permenant student record? be there when i apply for jobs? ...... the interesting thing is nobody has interviewed me or asked me what happened, i just got a letter to say i'm suspended.
... any advice?... anyone been through similar?
please over me some help...
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I've no idea about this sort of situation but i would reccomend having a look on the website of the university you go to and see if you can find any litterature regarding conduct and the action they will take.

My guess is that whoever was taking the lesson at the time has made a big deal about it and is being a complete arse. I'm sure if you go to the head of the uni and explain how under stress you were at that time and how it was just a mistake everything will be smoothed over. You shouldnt have to go into too much detail about it, just say you were dealing with some personal issues at the time and it wont happen again.

Sorry to hear about everything else thats gone off too, that sucks :(
    {{HUGS}}
  • Options
    Reading through what you've been going through, I'd say the University would be sympathic to your side of the story. Maybe if you get a student welfare officer involved, who you could talk to / write down what happened, and they could advise you best what to do.

Either case, hope you pull through ok, but if you apologise and say you were going through difficult personal circumstances I'd be surprised if they said 'that's not good enough'.

But remember - the support networks are there to help you in exactly this kind of situation, you don't need to take all the burden on your shoulders. *cyber hugs* xxxxx
  • Options
    I think you really need to talk to someone tbh, Otter.

Like icey said, you could loom on your uni website to see what action 9if any) they may end up taking.
  • Options
    I can see why you cracked. I think unfortunately you're going to have to tell someone at least some of the problems you've been having as they really are extenuating circumstances and will help your case a lot.

Your students union will have some kind of welfare officer, so they would be a good start. Your union will also be the people to help you out with the suspension thing regardless of what else you feel able to tell them.

Do you have a personnal tutor? It's probably worth getting in touch with them, because their role is to sort out things like this. It might be easier to write a letter or an email to one of these people rather than to talk to them face to face.

I'm sure this can be sorted fairly easily, especially if you show willing to co operate. Offering to apologise to whoever was affected would do your case a lot of good, say you know it was an unreasonable thing to do, but you were under a lot of stress at the time and you are sorry for doing it (even if it's not completely true).
  • Options
    I had to sit in front of a committee for failing 5 modules last year haha. Getting letters of recomendation is good, they're really sympathetic so you'll be alright don't worry bout it.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Speak to your student union. They will also be able to advise.
  • Options
    ditto.

Student welfare or your vp for education or something. Make sure you get someone official on your side it'll really help things. But universities aren't that bad and are generally really reasonable. They bend their own rules all the time if you can show why they should. (done it myself)
  • Options
    without meaning to sound nasty but if you don't tell them what's going on then you can't expect them to understand.
    Surely there is someone you can explain all this to? They'll be on your side. :)
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    Surely there is someone you can explain all this to? They'll be on your side.
    ... like who?... cannot access any support at university or whatever...

apparantly pushing papers off someone's desk consititues 'Assault' :eek2: and thats what i'm being charged with. although i swear i dind't "assault" anyone. i think they (my uni) are purposefully making a HUGE thing out of this.

i took an overdose of tablets last night. ended up in hospital. i've not done anyhting like that in a long time. :( ~ but hey thats how shit i feel.
  • Options
    You should still have access to your student union, and I think your tutor, even when you're suspended.

It seems like maybe they are out to make an example, get in touch with your union to start with, they should be able to help with the uni side; and it sounds like you could do with talking to your doctor as well to help you with some of the other issues.
  • Options
    Speak to your students union and your doctor, and take it from there. Your union should represent you in disciplinary hearings, it is part of the service you get from your trade union (in this case the NUS).

But what it boils down to is this: either you help yourself and get your side of the story told, or you lie down and get booted out. There's no ifs and buts, pull your finger out or leave the uni entirely. Taking pills isn't going to sort the mess out, you've hidden from it so long and now you need to stand up.
  • Options
    Definitely speak to your SU, it's what the officers are there for. I seem to remember you had some dealings with your uni's counselling service, can you get a note from them?

Also, certainly in my uni, the disability service deal with students with any kind of long-term health problem so they might be able to help.

I'm so sorry to hear all this. It sounds odd, but I do worry about you. MSN me or something if you need.

x
  • Options
    yeah. i have spoken to an advisor in the students union now and they've been helpful.
    i can't really believe any of this is happening tbh. and Kermit, i know you are right, thanks.
  • Options
    I really hope you get listened to and get the help and assistance you need. Good luck:)
  • Options
    any news?
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    any news?
    yeah. http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=107292
    they rekon pushing the papers off of the desk was me 'assaulting' her :eek2:
    i've been formally warned if i do anything like push papers off someones desk again i'll be expelled; i've got to do a formal appology; and they've imposed quite a few other penalties on me; inc. i'm not allowed any contact with the person who's desk it was. she is now scared of me apparantly. :rolleyes:
    tbh, i think my uni has gone completly over the top with this.
    but the person whos desk it was basically has said she was frightened and felt intimidated by seeing me push the papers off her desk.
    i mean, i didn't threaten her or anything...
    and my suspension has now been lifted, so i'm supposed to be able to get on with my life again. :(
  • Options
    that girl needs to get a backbone

i'd understand if you were effing and blinding screaming in her face aswell - but pushing papers off a desk is hardly assult

If that's assult then stuff thats happened to me at school must be prison sentance worthy.....:rolleyes:
  • Options
    it's maybe not the uni's fault about the severity of your 'punishments' - if this girl complained that you assaulted her then they have to take her seriously.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    apparantly pushing papers off someone's desk consititues 'Assault' :eek2: and thats what i'm being charged with. although i swear i dind't "assault" anyone. i think they (my uni) are purposefully making a HUGE thing out of this.
    Whoa, hang on. If you check legal documents the statutory definition of Assualt is "An action which causes the victim to be in immediate fear that their safety and/or life is threatened". Legally, your uni can do jack shit because their rules aren't binding. As for the personal life and everything, I'm really sorry to hear you're having a shitty time but you sound like a strong person and i hope you'll pull through. Unfortunately extenuating circumstances which push you to "assault" (assualt, my arse) will have to be explained, otherwise they'll assume it's PMS or something ridiculous, and you won't have a defence.
    Hope that i helped even a little.
    A xxxx
    Whoops, just read on that everything has already happened. Never mind, good for you that you can get on with your life though.
  • Options
    I think you'll find a lot of universities make up their own rules.. It's only if you're prepared to take it all the way to court it will have to stand up to national standards

I'd say go see your local GP, get a docotrs note or something..

Although I'm guessing they don't know anything about your personal circumstances.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I don't have the necessary details of how exactly it happened, but to be honest, if someone came up to me and pushed my stuff off my desk I'd be alarmed that my head is going to follow. But if it became clear quickly enough that this was all, I wouldn't think twice about it.
    What I mean is, there might or might not have been reason for her to be scared, depending on how exactly you were acting when and after you pushed the papers.
  • Options
    Although I'm guessing they don't know anything about your personal circumstances.
    well... they knew enough about them... i couldn't say everything but i certinally said enough for them to know circumstances, etc. - ... didn't really count for much it seems!! :(
    What I mean is, there might or might not have been reason for her to be scared, depending on how exactly you were acting when and after you pushed the papers.
    when ~ i didn't do or say anything else that let anyone know how i was feeling so i didn't do anything that could have scared her except for the actual pushing the papers
    after ~ i walked straight out

i think the punishments have been very severe but although i know what they have said is an unjustyfyable exaggeration - "assault" - i don't really think that its worth pursuing, i mean i'm supposed to be seeing the advisor again, but i think if i'm concentrating on pursuing this, my work is going to suffer and its going to be very tough going, may be even f*ck with my head; so its probably not worth it! i'm just going to put it behind me and try and move on rather than dwell on it. its just it gets to me that i've now got that i 'assaulted' someone on my record when thats not what happened...

still... sod the bastards...

and you guys have been great for advice and support... so cheers! :thumb: