Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Do we care too much about electrons bouncing off a phosphor coating?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do we care too much about electrons bouncing off a phosphor coating?

For those of you that don't know it's basically how most TV work

CRT-advan-gd120001(1).jpg

Why do I ask, cos I've had a funny old week where lots has happened, finally ending where I've met a world famous celeb worth about $500 Million. It's someone I've seen on TV many times over the years and finally met in the flesh.

Was nice to see him in the flesh but after it was said and done no huge deal... he was just a person like you or I.

Just thinking there's so many names out there of people who most of us never have seen or will see in the flesh and yet we have such strong opinions of, e.g.

Bush, Blair, Madonna, Diana, Osama, Posh, Beckham

For most of us people like these will never be more then flickers of light emitting from our TV sets

So do we waste too much of our time, money and energy on people we'll never ever meet that we really only know those our TV sets?

Comments

• Options
    Who did you meet?
  • Options
    Humanity doesn't need science, dog, I mean god will save us. As Moe SizlK says while destroying a dinosour fossil:

"God I'm paralysed, I hope medical science can cure me" Hehe cheers buddy.
  • Options
    i hope you havn't ever SAID these words to anyone. what a boring insight.
  • Options
    Only CRT tellys work like that. Plasma and LCD work differentement.
  • Options
    So do we waste too much of our time, money and energy on people we'll never ever meet that we really only know those our TV sets?

So many of these people you mentioned have a direct influence on our day-to-day lives - so it is understandable that we have formed personal opinions of them.

What irritates me are these self-styled artistes who earn millions of bucks and act like divas. I wanna scream "Keep it real! You sing/act/dance/whatever! You don't do something really useful like brain surgery!".

And you hear these boy/girl bands whingeing "Oh, we work so hard!" when talking about their tours and routines. Try working 12 hours down a fucking Welsh coal mine and THEN you can say you have worked hard! :yes:
  • Options
    Only CRT tellys work like that. Plasma and LCD work differentement.
    Was gonna say the same thing, but you got there first you smartarse.
  • Options

For those of you that don't know it's basically how most TV work

But LCD and Plasma aren't most now are they! Do read closely before you try and be a smart arse.
  • Options
    But LCD and Plasma aren't most now are they! Do read closely before you try and be a smart arse.

LOL, yeah I did make sure I used the word MOST on purpose, but my point being we build up so much interest in little beams of light that emit form our TV screens that represent people that in reality we'll probabaly never ever meet in person.

Like the whole Madonna thing lately adopting a child from Africa, there's now news reports saying normal people hoping to adopt a child from Africa are now running into problems cos of the TV and newspaper stories about Madonna.

or Big Brother stars. I used to work with a guy that never owned a TV and he seemed happy enough.

In the US people have started riots after seeing a verdict they didn't agree with on TV.

Funny how people can have such strong feelings for images they see on a screen rather then something or someone they've seen in real life.
  • Options
    We're interested because these people entertain us and we therefore have wamr feelings for them.

In the main though I agree with you, they are just people. Funnily enough when I've met some celebs they've often been more interested in what I do and how I cope with it and comment on recognising how lucky they are. Of course, I've met a few "do you know who I am" people as well. Interesting how long a nurse can make someone wait for treatment when they are being a wanker.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    This thread makes no sense.
  • Options
    We're interested because these people entertain us and we therefore have wamr feelings for them.

In the main though I agree with you, they are just people. Funnily enough when I've met some celebs they've often been more interested in what I do and how I cope with it and comment on recognising how lucky they are. Of course, I've met a few "do you know who I am" people as well. Interesting how long a nurse can make someone wait for treatment when they are being a wanker.

This chap I know met a TV Newsreader the other day but ont hat day she was also doing some on site reporting, and she told him reading the news on national TV is well boring .. :)