Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

eye tests / ear tests

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
did anyone find these ridiculous.

eye tests for me involved either reading through 100% fine till you reached the letters that NO-ONE could see then just guessing in between giggles and knowing looks from my mother.

ear tests involved me being asked to raise my hand when i heard an LFO noise.
i got repremanded once for raising my arm at the wrong time (err there's no sound yet - but i didn't feel silly i was just humouring them and their pathetic aattempts to misdiagnose me with something) my hearing was so good i could hear the vibrations between the earphone and my ear drum so why they were blasting waveforms into my ear i never knew.

Comments

• Options
    they're not ridiculous

optiticians and doctors will know more about your eyes and ears that what you will
  • Options
    And if there is a problem with your sight then you won't be able to read through 100% fine and there's the give away!
  • Options

my hearing was so good i could hear the vibrations between the earphone and my ear drum so why they were blasting waveforms into my ear i never knew.

well you were clearly there for a reason.

don't bother wasting nhs time and money if you say you can hear perfectly fine. :mad:
  • Options

eye tests for me involved either reading through 100% fine till you reached the letters that NO-ONE could see then just guessing in between giggles and knowing looks from my mother.

ear tests involved me being asked to raise my hand when i heard an LFO noise.
    i got repremanded once for raising my arm at the wrong time (err there's no sound yet - but i didn't feel silly i was just humouring them and their pathetic aattempts to misdiagnose me with something) my hearing was so good i could hear the vibrations between the earphone and my ear drum so why they were blasting waveforms into my ear i never knew.

Shame that there wasn't an early test for being a dumbass...
  • Options
    i had troubles hearing they thought (possibly cause i was blissfully ignorant to the sounds of others and pioneered my own style)
  • Options
    people like you annoy me - give up criticising the nhs. you shouldn't have gone if you didn't want to.

i've had hearing problems all my life and needed appointments like that.
  • Options

Actually, up until earlier this year I'd always been able to read all of the letters perfectly fine. I went this year and couldn't. The optician did some test with reading a book with me with some lenses in, and the minute he took the lenses out of my glasses while I was still in full flow I reared back because the words blurred right up.

He'd been able to work out what I needed (glasses) why (long sighted) and the strength just from me reading a chart and guessing once with lenses? I'd say they're bloody clever, and valuable.

(Not that I ever remember to wear my glasses. I do have them on now though)
  • Options
    What do you think they should do instead? I've had eye tests for nearly all of my life. I've never thought they were ridiculous.

Ballerina is right - opticians know more about your eyes than you do.