Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Baby Charlottes 3rd birthday

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/6073016.stm

All those court cases to fight to resuscitate the poor little mite against doctors recommendations, even though she`ll never have any quality of life, and now her parents dont even want her.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They never bother going to visit her- that's disgusting. Nice to see what's important in their lives, eh?

If they're gonna be like that they should be made to pay back every penny of legal aid they received.
    I read somewhere not so long ago that the hospital were looking for suitable foster parents for Charlotte to go to.

I think her parents behaviour is shocking, an absolute disgrace.
    I read somewhere not so long ago that the hospital were looking for suitable foster parents for Charlotte to go to.

I think her parents behaviour is shocking, an absolute disgrace.

Yeah I remember reading something about that as well.
    Got to remember this is the media talking. Who knows whats true?!
    They should be made to pay, in full, the £100,000's pounds theyve cost the tax payer, fighting for the right to life of a kid they don't even wanna see. Pair of usless cunts !
    Kermit wrote:
    Nice to see what's important in their lives, eh?

More than likely get £250 for being the 'tearjerker' story in next weeks Take A Break, which will more than likely be pissed up the wall or spent on scratchcards.
    RubberSkin wrote:
    They should be made to pay, in full, the £100,000's pounds theyve cost the tax payer, fighting for the right to life of a kid they don't even wanna see. Pair of usless cunts !

Agreed
    i never thought this would work out

they kept her alive because they couldn't let go, not because it would help her. There's little they can do for her apart from keeping her alive, just because her parents couldn't let go. Costing thousands. Now she's up for fostering. It doesn't mean they don't want her though, if it's recent then they need to sort stuff out first as she needs 24/7 care. Though personally i think they'll both crack as its the doctors who have been looking after her all her life, not them and they probably don't appreciate or realise what she's going to need.
    I could understand if she could have a good quality of life, but the poor kid is more or less vegetised. Unfortunatly it's what happens in nature.
    I don't think they should be made to pay back what was awarded them and has been used. If people start being made to pay back money they've recieved for legal aid, I think it will put people off from applying, which will be terrible for justice for the least privilaged people. I do think that this case should be at the forefront of a jude's mind should a similar case arrise, although it would be unfair to tarnish all parents with the wyatt's behaviour, Charlotte hardly seems to be having any sembelance of a happy childhood.
    She's a human life and it was in the doctors powers to keep her alive but they didn't want to, because she was ill and was unlikely to live a fulfilling life. Her parents fought through the high court to force the doctors to try and keep their daughter alive, and then because of that and other stress no doubt they have split.

I feel sorry for them, really. She's in a 'vegetated state' as stated by ballerina, which is no doubt the opinion of many people, who feel cheated out of their hard earned cash to keep this young girl alive, like a 'vegetable'.

But I would like to point out, she's not a vegetable but a human life, and it's her welfare that should come first. We live in a nation that has made Euthanasia illegal based on some sound logic, and surely we must stand by that? It's sad for the child, that she has had the most unfortunate start, and it seems in all likelihood that's all her life will be. She won't experience the spectrum of wonder and joy we all take for granted.

So I implore the government, the NHS, and other bodies to try to make the life of this young girl as bearable as possible, to give her every chance possible to experience what living is about, because she still is a human being.

By the way - ballerina I was only quoting from you, I wasn't targetting you :) and what I've said wasn't supposed to be aimed at you. Just me expressing my opinions on the situation.
    She's a human life and it was in the doctors powers to keep her alive but they didn't want to, because she was ill and was unlikely to live a fulfilling life. Her parents fought through the high court to force the doctors to try and keep their daughter alive, and then because of that and other stress no doubt they have split.

I feel sorry for them, really. She's in a 'vegetated state' as stated by ballerina, which is no doubt the opinion of many people, who feel cheated out of their hard earned cash to keep this young girl alive, like a 'vegetable'.

But I would like to point out, she's not a vegetable but a human life, and it's her welfare that should come first. We live in a nation that has made Euthanasia illegal based on some sound logic, and surely we must stand by that? It's sad for the child, that she has had the most unfortunate start, and it seems in all likelihood that's all her life will be. She won't experience the spectrum of wonder and joy we all take for granted.

So I implore the government, the NHS, and other bodies to try to make the life of this young girl as bearable as possible, to give her every chance possible to experience what living is about, because she still is a human being.

By the way - ballerina I was only quoting from you, I wasn't targetting you :) and what I've said wasn't supposed to be aimed at you. Just me expressing my opinions on the situation.

that's ok, i just don't see the point in doing all this when she's never going to improve or appreciate life. I know it sounds harsh but it just seems a waste tbh. It's like keeping someones life support machine on when they're not going to wake up....i know it's not exactly the same but you get my point?
    Ballerina wrote:
    that's ok, i just don't see the point in doing all this when she's never going to improve or appreciate life. I know it sounds harsh but it just seems a waste tbh. It's like keeping someones life support machine on when they're not going to wake up....i know it's not exactly the same but you get my point?

I understand what you're trying to say and I agree with you.
    they werent talking about euthanasia Shyboy. It was about saying enough was enough and to be able to not have to resuscitate again and again. The doctors didnt want to kill her, just didnt want to keep prolonging her life artificially when her body was just trying to go.
    That's really sad. I read this earlier.
    they werent talking about euthanasia Shyboy. It was about saying enough was enough and to be able to not have to resuscitate again and again. The doctors didnt want to kill her, just didnt want to keep prolonging her life artificially when her body was just trying to go.
    :yes: obviously her body just isn't strong enough - medicine and technology can still only do so much, survival of the fittest still applies at times.
    I feel for the baby, and she should have been allowed to die, sometimes medical interferance has a lot to awnser for.

*edited for libel
    Char_Baby wrote:
    sometimes medical interferance has a lot to awnser for.

More the law courts TBH. The medics wanted different options.

In some perspectives inaction is just as powerful as action. I think killing someone is similar to not saving their life when you could have. Of course it's not the same, but only by technical reasons. I'm not trying to get moral, if we're going to kill someone because their quality of life is so poor they'd be better off dead, then fine, but it seems strange that there seems to be such a big moral divide.

My uncle was in hospital when he was 19, and at this time the NHS must have been run differently because they took the decision on themselves to turn his life support machine off against the wishes of his family. When they did - amazingly - he recovered himself. He's still alive and kicking, and trying it on with every girl in sight.

Sorry, that was an aside. My main original point was that this story shouldn't be about the parents, it should be about the child and her right to life. To be fair, I agree with all you that say it's a waste. She's never really going to enjoy her life, so all this money and expense and difficulty probably wasn't worth it, because all her nurses, her doctors and even her family are really just waiting for her to die.

But if it was up to me and there had been a huge car accident, and two survivors - one lucid and concious and shouting in pain, the other badly burned and rasping, I'd probably give the last painkiller to the burned guy, because even though he's going to die... I think it's just programmed into our humanity.
    More the law courts TBH. The medics wanted different options.
    What I meant was, that baby wasnt supposed to survive anyway. Harsh as it sounds.
    it is a very sad story. but tbh i think it was quite cruel and selfish of her folks to maintain her life in the first place.