Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Town and Country Planning

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I’ve received a letter from the council regarding a proposal to create a pavement café and external drinking area outside the building. I kinda like it cos it might make the place more alive, more chic, yet on the other hand, I have concerns about the noise it would generate. What else could be said for and against the proposal? Would you agree or disagree?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I’ve received a letter from the council regarding a proposal to create a pavement café and external drinking area outside the building. I kinda like it cos it might make the place more alive, more chic, yet on the other hand, I have concerns about the noise it would generate. What else could be said for and against the proposal? Would you agree or disagree?
    I think it actually depends on the area and what building you are talking about. Don't forget that the café will probably be open normal hours and you won't get people there at 2am making noise.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Clumsy Superman,

I'm training to be a Safety and Environmental Consultant - I'm just doing my last wave of Environmental qualifications at the moment, and we've just covered planning etc.

You'll probably get a more detailed update as the plans come to fruition regarding what the place is going to be (i.e. size, opening hours, alcohol licence etc).

My main concerns from your point of veiw would of course be noise, so finding out the nature and opening hours of the place should give you some more info - the council who are dealing with the planning application can supply you with this.

I would also be concerned about odours from their activities and their waste(they will no doubt have a busy kitchen). If they don't store their waste correctly this will also lead to bad smells and possibly vermin moving in.

Another key issue would be parking in the area (although not knowing the layout of your location it is hard to speculate), but if they are going to be busy and you park outside the building, you may find you will struggle to park as easily as you do now.

If done and managed properly though, this could bring a bit of life to your area as you say, but I'd definitely check what they have planned first.