Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Slow internet in the dorms.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I live in the dorms on campus. We get high speed internet in the dorms, but we have to pay extra for it. In the last couple of months the internet has been running EXTREMELY slow during certain parts of day. More than once it's gotten so slow that I got kicked offline.

Two weeks ago the IT people for the school published an article in the school paper saying that the internet is running slow mostly due to people downloading music (which is against the internet usage agreement they made us sign in order to use the web). They said they were working on the problem and were going to start targeting individual users who are downloading music.

That was two weeks ago, things haven't gotten better. Instead of the internet running really slow at certain points in the day, it's now running slow almost constantly. Half the time when I try to get onto the boards it wont load the page. So what I'm wondering is, could this really be due to people downloading music? Because I get the impression that the article published by the IT department was just a CYA for their on incompetence and mismanagement.

I don't know a whole lot about computers'n junk, so what do you all think?

Comments

• Options
    It's most likely people using programs like bittorrent which saturate the upstream onto the internet. Once the upstream is saturated stuff takes ages to load.

However, if your IT department have any skills at all they'd be able to implement QoS (Quality of service) or port throttling / blocking, in order to stop the people using up all the bandwidth.

Tell them they suck :P, and demand they provide a better connection.
  • Options
    I don't know a whole lot about computers'n junk, so what do you all think?

It's probably all the fools at uni downloading stuff that's slowing it down.

However if your IT guys at uni were any good they'd know how to block the various ports, etc to file sharing programs.

It's not even that hard to find out who in your halls is downloading the most.

Personally I think they should give you guys a download limit and if an individual goes over it they get cut off until the end of the month, then each person would learn very quickly how to manage their allowance.

We never had any kind of internet at my uni, was a long time ago, and if I was to do another uni course I wouldn'r even consider a residence without internet access, too useful for doing research and keeping intouch with people.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    All our ports for downloading have been blocked - yet our internet is bloody slow.
  • Options
    could be people using skype that runs on port 80 - but probablymore just not enough bandwidth to supply the users
  • Options
    My internet is extremely quick but I can't use any fun things.

Till the weekend when we are taking over compsci to set up our own games server (read: tunnel to the outside world with a 100megabit connection, torrents galore! :D).
  • Options
    At Northampton university. I have the internet in my room, but they have blocked all ports for file sharing/ some downloads and internet gaming. I think this is best for everyone because we get a fast connection which allows everyone to be able to surf the net quickly. Yeah ok, i can't do any of the fun stuff but at least i dont have to wait 1/2 an hour for my page to load.

Anyway, i would go to the IT people and say something. If you pay for this service then it is not fair on you to have a slow connection and let others do whatever they want. Keep bugging them until they do something, else they never will cos i know a few IT technicians that will not do anything unless they are constantly bothered by people. (I'm not saying all technicians are like that!) Nothing will be done unless anything is said!
  • Options
    noog wrote:
    It's most likely people using programs like bittorrent which saturate the upstream onto the internet. Once the upstream is saturated stuff takes ages to load.

However, if your IT department have any skills at all they'd be able to implement QoS (Quality of service) or port throttling / blocking, in order to stop the people using up all the bandwidth.

Your first explain only applies to asymmetric connections like ADSL and cable. Halls connections will likely use ethernet directly connected to the backbone of the Unis network, this is symmetric connection.

Second solution seems highly plausible ;)
  • Options
    I won't be surprised if the slow speed are due to people having windows downloading updates in the background
  • Options
    Ah at our uni we had 100mbps straight into the wall socket next to the bed, when I wasn't having sex with the port I was using a tunnel through port 80 to proxy *all* my stuff :-)
  • Options
    noog wrote:
    Ah at our uni we had 100mbps straight into the wall socket next to the bed, when I wasn't having sex with the port I was using a tunnel through port 80 to proxy *all* my stuff :-)
    Lol, sounds like a plan