Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

the caledonian (scotland) sleeper

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
anyone been on this? want to do this again some time. i remember watching for the carriges coupling feeling tired and it was lovely. really nice, skimpy births but what do you expect. still good.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I've seen it in action a few times, never travelled on it though.

Shall do it next year though along with the Riveria one down to Plymouth.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've done it thought it must have been 10 years ago - we got the train from fort william back to london. It was great the only thing which was a bit weird was this lady waking you up at about 6 am with your breakfast in bed oh and they take all the sleeper carridges from all over scotland and join them all into one train at edinburgh so we woke up with a different restaurant car and a much longer train.

My dad used to do it quite a lot as well when he worked in Aberdeen.
    I'll be taking the sleeper to England tonight. I'm going for a job interview in Dover tomorrow. The sleeper is expensive, but far more reliable than Ryanair.
    So I got to Dover, had my interview and came back. I must say I'm really glad I decided to take the train. With all the problems aeroplanes in the South of England are having right now, flying would have been a bad idea.
    Going down the way I didn't get any sleep, though. The train had a wheel flat somewhere and I heard this "thumpthumpthumpthump" noise all the way to England. Coming back up the way there was no such noise, and the two pints I had in the bar at Euston probably helped me sleep, too. Incidentally there was a man sat at my table in the bar who was the spitting image of Jeremy Irons. Maybe it was him, but I thought it best not to ask.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    The train had a wheel flat somewhere and I heard this "thumpthumpthumpthump" noise all the way to England.

Ouch! Did you ask to be moved? At the least you should have reported it so it can be rectified.

(On a side note, they are being diverted down the East Coast soon)
    JsT wrote:
    Ouch! Did you ask to be moved? At the least you should have reported it so it can be rectified.

(On a side note, they are being diverted down the East Coast soon)
    No, I put up with it.

I have subsequently travelled onthe sleeper again, coming back from another interview in Southampton (I went down by Virgin and stayed in a hotel, payed for by the company). Again I didn't get much sleep. The croissant, tea and muffin they serve for breakfast is quite nice.