Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Teaching assistant

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
Was hoping someone could help me.. I want to become a teaching assistant, I've looked in TES and in the jobs there's no mention of needing any qualification, yet I've seen some places advertise wanting a level 3 nvq or above in child care or something similar. Don't suppose any one on here is a teaching assistant and knows exactly what qualifications I need and where to begin?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi Janjan,

The Connexions Direct website has a comprehensive article on the difference between what is actually required, and what is advisable to become a teaching assistant. In terms of actual qualification requirements it says:
    There are no set entry requirements. However, it is encouraged that applicants have nationally recognised qualifications. An understanding of English and maths is important in order to support classroom literacy and numeracy. People normally need to be at least 18 to begin training.

Previous, relevant experience including nursery nursing, play work and youth work may help. Some people work as volunteer helpers in schools whilst taking a course to train as a teaching assistant.

Click here to read the full article which refers to relevant courses and other invaluable information about the career route.

If you're interested in starting out with some voluntary work in a school, don't forget to check www.do-it.org.uk for opportunities. :thumb:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Jan jan i'm not a TA, but i am a teacher with a TA. Usually schools will ask for a level 3 childcare qualification, but mine came straight out of an office with no formal childcare qualifications and i wouldn't be without her!