Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The law works because the government believes it works

After the wide ranging critic of the Misuse of Drugs Act and the ABC structure by the Science and Technology committee the government said that it would review the ABC system to see if does what it aims to. However....

The Science and Technology Select Committee report 'Drug Classification: Making a Hash of it?' conclusion/recommendation 34:

"We have found no solid evidence to support the existence of a deterrent effect, despite the fact that it appears to underpin the Government’s policy on classification. In view of the importance of drugs policy and the amount spent in enforcing the penalties associated with the classification system, it is highly unsatisfactory that there is so little knowledge about the system’s effectiveness".

To which the goverment has given this answer after rejecting a review;

"The Government fundamentally believes that illegality is an important factor when people are considering engaging in risk-taking behaviour. The exposure to criminal sanction, in particular through sentencing, influences perceptions and behaviours. It believes that the illegality of certain drugs, and by association their classification, will impact on drug use choices, by informing the decisions of dealers and users. Imposing penalties on the offence of possession is intended to deter use, particularly experimentation by young people. Whilst the Government accepts that there is an absence of conclusive evidence in relation to the deterrent effect of the existing classification structure, there is some evidence from the Offending, Crime and Justice Survey that the deterrent effect of harsher sentencing was greater among those admitting to the supply of a Class A drug, compared with other offences.The Government will consider ways in which the evidence base in the context of the deterrent effect can be strengthened.”

So in other words, the government believes that the law works, so therefore it does and we can all just carry on as normal.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This is fucking stupid, the ABC system is the biggest load of bollocks ever. So the government believe that everything is fine the way it is...well it clearly fucking isn't...drug use is changing rapidly and they need to keep up with new research and what is going on and change the law accordingly instead of just believing that their way is all fine and dandy so they'll keep it that way.
    Labour's hold on power is far too weak for them to actually do the things they know would work better.
    Very true...
    But are there any parties that would do any different?
    pill 'ed wrote:
    Very true...
    But are there any parties that would do any different?

No, I doubt it, our media and political system are locked into a constant battle of damage limitation. Big ideas are completely non existant anymore.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    What do you think this thread was about??? ;)
    LadyJade wrote:
    What do you think this thread was about??? ;)

Well yes, and a lovely thread it was too, but it didnt detail the governments response.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Ah, the Politburo makes a return after an absence of... 15 years, no less!

The Politburo says you are happy. Therefore you are!
    As a seldom recreational drug user (pretty much just alcohol and caffeine, mmm), I have to say the legality doesn't bother me at all. It's more the fear of dying / going insane / exploding and another assortment of ill effects.

I've considered dobbing people into the police who I didn't like because they were dealing drugs to my lil sis, but I didn't in the end. I think that makes the law useful, because anyone you dont like it's easy to find something 'illegal' and tarnish their repuation.
    I've considered dobbing people into the police who I didn't like because they were dealing drugs to my lil sis, but I didn't in the end. I think that makes the law useful, because anyone you dont like it's easy to find something 'illegal' and tarnish their repuation.

Please tell me you arent being serious.
    As a seldom recreational drug user (pretty much just alcohol and caffeine, mmm), I have to say the legality doesn't bother me at all. It's more the fear of dying / going insane / exploding and another assortment of ill effects.

Just as well didn't then, for your own interest.

Shocking. :sour:
    budda wrote:
    No, I doubt it, our media and political system are locked into a constant battle of damage limitation. Big ideas are completely non existant anymore.
    excellent opinion. absolutely correct.

politics wasn't all about this type of attitude championed, but not pioneered by paxman etc,