Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How to love Brussel Sprouts

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Chop finely with some onion and fry in butter. Totally changes the taste, delish!
Much better than boiled brussels.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    sounds nice.
    I dont mind sprouts as long as theyre fresh.
    Sprouts that were frozen taste bitter and disgusting, but ones cooked from fresh are actually nice.
    And the stalky bit is always hard and inedible. Boiled n buttered for me. With chestnuts at Christmas.
    Only way i'll eat sprouts is if i cover them in mint sauce which disguises the taste. Sounds a bit random i know but they actually taste good that way!
    I like mint sauce on cabbage
    mint sauce on lamb!!!!!!!!!

fairy, try them this way, i dare you
    I quite like sprouts the normal way. Don't boil them, steam them, they keep the flavour then.
    at xmas we had brussel sprouts mixed with chestnuts. my mum got it from marks and sparks. she doesnt cook xmas dinner anymore, she just marks and sparks it all because after 40 years of cooking it shes had enough!
    eat one raw.

yum
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    My sister put brussels in a soup one christmas - it turned out bright green. It probably would have been surprisingly ok, if she hadn't put butter beans in it too!

ETA: I like the frying idea.
    Try roasting them like you would roast potatoes - I always hated sprouts untill i saw some random french women doing this and I tried it at home and they were lovely.

Also they are not so bad in things like stews and stuff as they add flavor.
    They're delicious in a creamy stilton and pancetta sauce
    lipsy wrote:
    she doesnt cook xmas dinner anymore, she just marks and sparks it all because after 40 years of cooking it shes had enough!
    So does my Mum, and very lovely it is :D
    lipsy wrote:
    at xmas we had brussel sprouts mixed with chestnuts. my mum got it from marks and sparks. she doesnt cook xmas dinner anymore, she just marks and sparks it all because after 40 years of cooking it shes had enough!

my mum did that once! and then another christmas we went to a hotel down the road then another time we went to a hotel in cornwall... last year she cooked but this year i'm off to my sisters.

oh and sprouts will never taste nice imo. not even if you coat them in chocolate.
    I quite like sprouts. You just have to make sure that you don't over cook them. It's the same as cabbage really.