Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Novembers Book

littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Dunno if people are still interested in this. Don't know what system to use either but as I am starting the thread I shall opt for nominations and seconders as the system. Nobody was interested in the winner of last months book and nowt happened so thought that this may be better. Any qualms and you can do the thread next month :p

So, anyone got any suggestions?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i'd like to read animal farm by george orwell. it's not a great suggestion, but having the book club read it will spur me to go out and get a copy.
    otherwise any of the penguin classics line
    Animal Farm or Watership Down (Richard Adams), as they require no effort on my part to read them, as I know them back to front as it is because of my Extended Essay. Or 1984, 'cause I'd like a re-read of it.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Franki wrote:
    Animal Farm or Watership Down (Richard Adams), as they require no effort on my part to read them, as I know them back to front as it is because of my Extended Essay. Or 1984, 'cause I'd like a re-read of it.

Is that a seconder for Animal Farm, then?
    Is that a seconder for Animal Farm, then?
    Yups :). It is a good book, and would recommend it to anyone, so definitely yes, even if I wouldn't have to read it :p.
    The dictionary?
    Killing Yourself to Live by Chuck Klosterman.

But as that will never get seconded, I also nominate Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas again.
    I'll second Watership Down - great book.
    I second Animal Farm or 1984, the latter because I'm currently reading Evgenii Zamyatin's 'We' which was the major influence on 1984.
    sophia wrote:
    I will second Fear and Loathing. And 1984, but is it allowed to second two books? Gosh this is all a bit confusing, and I have a very small and slightly hungover brain :o

Seeing as we are not getting many nominations ( :yeees: ) I will allow you to second 2 books :p

Is this whole thing dying a horrible death? As in, good in theory but not in practice? :(
    I nominate anything by Jodi Picoult. If someone is willing to second, with a specfic title in mind, them I'll definetely join in the voting and reading :D
    I've always kinda missed this, and I am very busy with uni+work lately but I do want to read. Seen a few books mentioned this time that I have read or want to read. :)

I'll second Killing Yourself to Live, just read what it's about and it sounds like it might be intriguing. :)

And what kind of books are we looking for? I'm a little scared to nominate something without knowing what kind of literature you guys are looking for. I thought of The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russel and American Gods by Neil Gaiman but not sure if they're suited. :) Will have a think, I've read some very nice books (:p) but my brain isn't working right now. (ramble ramble ramble etc etc)
    So, correct me if I'm wrong but the current list is:

Animal Farm
    Watership Down
    Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas
    Killing Yourself to Live

I'm still advocating the freezing of the list once ten are seconded and working through them in the coming months.
    nicx1811 wrote:
    I nominate anything by Jodi Picoult. If someone is willing to second, with a specfic title in mind, them I'll definetely join in the voting and reading :D
    Salem Falls because I already have it and it means not spending any money on a book...
    I'd like to second 1984 too, as that is what I'm currently reading, although I'd also like to second the Jodi Picoult option. The only one of hers I'd suggest would be "My sister's keeper" though, as it was the first one I read, the most thought provoking and I keep buying her books but none have ever equaled the powerfulness of that one for me.

I'd also like to nominate "We need to talk about Kevin" by Lionel Shriver, as that one really really made me think when I read it earlier this year... it is certainly the book I have spent all year trying to persuade people to read :blush:
    Gonna leave nominations open til Thursday and then make a poll.

Keep 'em coming :)
    Franki wrote:
    Salem Falls because I already have it and it means not spending any money on a book...

I will second that nomination of a Jodi Picoult title actually (because I'm pretty sure that's one of the ones I've got in my bag upstairs from the library.... Am reading The Tenth Circle atm though, and read Plain Truth last week)

Edit: checked, and it's not Salem falls I have upstairs, it's Vanishing Acts. But I still say Salem Falls as I'm sure I can get hold of that at the library by November (if I reserve it). :D
    Small Island by Andrea Levy. West Indian immigration to the UK in the 1940s and the beginning of a multi cultural Britain. The Jamacian characters coming to the Mother Land for the first time are shocked to find their perception of Britain and what it stood for is totally inaccurate.

I'll second Small Island. I've been meaning to read it for ages but not gotten round to it. This would give me the kick to do so.
    Nominations so far:

Animal Farm - George Orwell
    Watership Down - Richard Adams
    Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S. Thompson
    1984 - George Orwell
    Killing Yourself to Live - Chuck Klosterman
    We Need to Talk About Kevin - Lionel Shriver
    Salem Falls - Jodi Picoult
    Small Island - Andrea Levy

I'll close nominations either when we hit 10 books with a nomination and a second or on Thursday so that we make sure most people have a chance to vote.

Hope that's ok with all :)
    I'm not going to nominate because there's already a few on that list that i wouldnt mind reading :)

but i was just wondering as i saw the nominations for november - did we discuss october's book yet?
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    sophia wrote:
    We Need To Talk About Kevin is amazing, I second that :yes:

That's one word for it! Easily the most disturbing book I've ever read. There's definitely a lot to talk about.
    I bought and read inconcievable and i want to discuss it with somoene - where are the people who voted for it hiding.

I have about 3 billion books to nominate but i dunno if anyone will second them...
    oh well thatd be handy as my dad has just recently sent me that book telling me to read it and i havent got round to it.
    The Star of the Sea by Joseph O'Connor. Adultery, murder, incest, syphilis and the Irish potato famine. What more could you want?

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (David hated this but I thought it was fab). 6 interlinked stories across time and space with repeated themes and characters.

I second Cloud atlas, I wouldnt mind reading it again, the first few chapters are very tricky though.

The Star of the Sea sounds good, I'd read that.